Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Hydro-fins or Doel-fins, Etc

Reply New post
Message Subject: Hydro-fins or Doel-fins, Etc
MIKE RUFF
Posted 12/18/2006 3:02 PM (#226331)
Subject: Hydro-fins or Doel-fins, Etc

Any experience with this type of addition to motor?
Want to keep the bow down more during that period between start to move and on plane.
For that fine line time when running heavy waves between just enough throttle to move but little control and more throttle for control but not enough to plane leaving too much bow out and up.
Has any one found these to help? 175 Alumicraft Navigater with 150 Yamaha 4 stroke.
Thanks for your thoughts
Mike
lambeau
Posted 12/18/2006 3:03 PM (#226332 - in reply to #226331)
Subject: RE: Hydro-fins or Doel-fins, Etc

try this thread...

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27...
TJ DeVoe
Posted 12/18/2006 3:08 PM (#226336 - in reply to #226331)

Where is your motor trimmed when taking off? And where is when crusing?
MIKE RUFF
Posted 12/19/2006 11:30 AM (#226506 - in reply to #226331)

Motor is tilted all the way forward during take off.
Tilt while cruising is where it planes the best relative to load etc.
Thanks again
Mike
Posted 12/19/2006 1:20 PM (#226536 - in reply to #226506)

They will help you get on plane very quickly. They make the right trim level a little trickier because your ride won't be quite as forgiving in bigger waves, but I think the benefit outweighs anything you'll give up by putting one on.

Thank YOU for the Rad Dog.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 12/19/2006 1:43 PM (#226545 - in reply to #226331)

Here's another thread.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=23...

Al
VMS
Posted 12/20/2006 12:03 PM (#226731 - in reply to #226331)

Hi Mike,

I have the 165 navigator with a 90 yamaha on it. I also felt that my bow rode pretty high coming out of the hole as well.

I did a few different things to my boat. I had the rear of the boat "wedged" since I could not stay on plane without porpoising...they peened the back end over just a tad too much. Then, I also moved the motor up off the transom (I went to the highest mounting position) which seemed to help, although you would think it would help less..

My only question I have is how are your RPM's at full throttle under normal load? If you are under that, but fast, you very well could be over-propped, hence it takes more time for the motor to get up to speed to push the bow over. By reducing the pitch on the prop, you may be able to take care of this as well...or at a minimum make it happen faster.

The other option you may want to consider is the weight placement of items in the boat. If the boat is stern heavy, the bow will naturally rise more. I moved my TM batteries to the stern last year to see how the boat would perform, and it took more to push the bow over, even though I didn't have to trim the motor as much at full speed. I ended up moving them back to the front. On that note, how does the boat perform out of the hole with a full livewell?

I would stay away from the fins. If your set-up is close to optimum, the fin would do nothing for you.

The fins (IMHO) are for those boats that are under-powered. Your boat is maxed if I am not mistaken..

If you would be willing, please post your RPM's, prop and position of the motor on the transom. I bet we can solve this without a fin...

Steve
MIKE RUFF
Posted 12/20/2006 1:32 PM (#226745 - in reply to #226731)

Thanks for the reply Steve
Not sure where the height on transom is (the boat's in storage quite a distance away).
I do have faith in the Installer (Lacanne's Marine-Faribault Mn)
The RPM"S seem fine, about 5500 at open throttle 50-52 MPH.

Am very happy with all performance in general. The only time I'd like to see it different is when, in those RARE times, I'm dealing with 3ft+ wave/rollers and can't run fast enough to bring bow down towards "plane", and would prefer not to just "putts" along and can definitely not run fast. Then it would be nice to be able to get bow down more at these slower speeds.
Yes, I did find that a full front live well helps noticebly.

If you don't mind to e-mail your e-mail address I'll get back to you when the boat is out of storage, probably sometime around Feb-Apr.

Thanks again guys
Mike
MIKE Ruff
Posted 12/20/2006 1:33 PM (#226746 - in reply to #226331)

Mike Ruff
Posted 12/20/2006 1:35 PM (#226747 - in reply to #226746)

Sorry about that. I forgot e-mail address.
[email protected]
VMS
Posted 12/20/2006 4:36 PM (#226794 - in reply to #226747)

[email protected]

LaCannes is a great company!! Only reason I didn't go with them was due to stopping in at Hallberg where I purchased my previous boat from. They were only $20 off of what LaCannes offered, so I went back there.

at 5500 rpms, you are right in the meat of the engine's wide open throttle range, but it is usually recommended to get that motor up to 5900 or 6000 rpm. To do this, you have a few options: 1) lower the pitch of your prop by 2 inches. This will increase your RPM by around 350 to 400 or so, and it will help your boat get up on plane much quicker than what you are getting currently. I would recommend going to a steel prop as well, since that particular motor has enough "umph" that an aluminum prop would flex a bit too much if you punch it. 2) if you are running steel already and the prop is not vented (holes in the hub), you could have that done, which would allow some exhaust gasses escape and hit the prop blades to allow the motor to rev up higher before the blades catch water. This will increase your hole shot, but there is a trade off with doing so. In larger waves, you may find staying on plane is harder to do because the prop will slip a bit more.

If you want overall good handling, decent speed, and good hole shot, the lower pitched prop would fit best. I would probably recommend a Michigan Ballistic prop that is either 1 or 2 inches lower in pitch than the equivalent aluminum. You may even find the same pitch in a ballistic will give you more RPM as well (at least that is what happened with my 90hp)

With enough tweeking, I bet that rig will gain some speed as well.

If you purchased from LaCannes, how close are you to Hastings?

Steve

Mike Ruff
Posted 12/22/2006 9:58 AM (#227096 - in reply to #226331)

Thanks Steve
Am in St. Cloud
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)