Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Hydrofoil For an Outboard

Reply New post
Message Subject: Hydrofoil For an Outboard
SkyShot
Posted 12/20/2005 10:11 AM (#169272)
Subject: Hydrofoil For an Outboard

I've heard some great things about the addition of a "whale tail" to the lower unit of an outboard motor. The claims of faster planning, planning at lower speeds and a decrease in cavitation in turns seems like a real deal for under a hundred bucks. Any feedback from folks who installed them? Part of me wonders if such a simple fix existed, why wouldn't the manufactuers just add that feature to the design in the first place?

My rig is a Crestliner 1850 Sportfish with a Johnson 150 FICHT.

Thanks for any comments,

Skyshot
VMS
Posted 12/20/2005 10:42 AM (#169273 - in reply to #169272)
Subject: RE: Hydrofoil For an Outboard

To be honest, you shouldn't need a foil for that rig.

What a foil will do is allow the boat to be on plane at a lower RPM, but with the right prop and motor height combination, you will get the same, if not better results. When you have the prop and motor height dealt with, the anti-ventilation plate is actually out of the water, and the hydrofoil will be doing nothing at planing speeds.

It is amazing how many boats are rigged so that the plate is below the water line and the amount of drag is enormous. When you raise the motor, you risk nothing in terms of losing water pressure as long as you stay with the standard bolt holes in the motor mounting. When things are close, your boat will feel like it is riding on air rather than water. It turns with little issue, and cruising along is just goes as you want it.

Where the foils help is with an underpowered boat and a heavy bow.

To be honest, on that boat, save a few more dollars and get yourself a good high performance stainless prop with high rake and cupping. Definitely will be worth your money because the boat will just come alive.

Bass and Walleye boats magazine has a prop chart online from all the different brands. It breaks down the main purposes of the props from recreation to high performance, etc. Definitely a good starting spot.

By the way, on your rig, what kind of numbers are you getting right now? Please include how high off the transom your motor is mounted (number of holes up (number 1 being the top hole in your mounting bracket and the motor is tight to the top of the transom), your prop (diameter and pitch along with aluminum or stainless) your gear ratio, and your speed. We might be able to get an idea of what you can expect if you'd like.

Steve
musky39
Posted 12/24/2005 12:06 AM (#169715 - in reply to #169272)

I have had excellent results with the SE Hydrofoil. My boat jumps on plane. It is well worth the money. Merry Christmas! Happy 2006!
ESOX Maniac
Posted 12/24/2005 8:24 AM (#169725 - in reply to #169272)

SkyShot- I have a Skeeter SF150 with a Johnson 150 and SS Raker prop. Like you I was tired of the slow hole shot, etc. I put on a Attwood Hydro-Stabilizer, best thirty bucks I ever spent. ESOX Maniac now comes up on plane quick, tight turns w/o blowout and I don't see any difference with it trimmed up at full speed because the Hydro-Stabilizer shape allows the majority of the surface area to be above the water at full speed trim. Yes, at full speed it's "seat of the pants steering" just like before. A quick hit on the trim button gives more bite for firmer steering.

http://www.shipstore.com/ss/html/ATT/ATT94007.html

Merry Christmas
Al
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)