Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> whale tails

Reply New post
Message Subject: whale tails
ToddM
Posted 7/1/2006 3:46 PM (#198934)
Subject: whale tails

I was wondering what everyones opinion was on these things for helping planing a boat. My brother let me borrow his boat, a 14ft princecraft with a 25 johnson and it is very slow to get to plane and won't plane with 4 people in it. With just one person it takes a good 100ft to get there, 3 people it takes about a football field. The motor has a 10-13 prop on it and the rpms seem fine when it planes. Do you think the whale tail will make the difference? I am well under the capacity tating for the boat and it is rated for a 30.
mikie
Posted 7/2/2006 7:03 AM (#198972 - in reply to #198934)
Subject: RE: whale tails

Todd, that's just the problem the mfg. says you should solve with one of these. I just added one to my Gambler's 225, just haven't had it out yet to see if it works. Next weekend if the river clears up a bit, and I can let you know. I also have a problem with porpoising when I come off-plane, I'm hopein this new StingRay will do the trick.

Check out:
http://www.marine-dynamics.com/
m

Edited by mikie 7/2/2006 7:05 AM
ToddM
Posted 7/2/2006 9:50 AM (#198980 - in reply to #198934)

Mikie, thanks for the tip. I bought an atwood but it curves way up so i am wondering how effective it would be. Seems this setup needs one a bit more extreme. Looks like bass pro has them was thinking of making a run up today anyway, will probably check them out.
ToddM
Posted 7/3/2006 5:20 PM (#199106 - in reply to #198934)

Mikie, I returned the atwood and bought this one at bass pro. I talked to the guy for a bit and they had yours sitting righ next to it. This one has more fin rear of the prop than the one you have and the guy told me that is what I needed.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=1103&hvarT...
Shep
Posted 7/5/2006 9:46 AM (#199327 - in reply to #199106)

Todd,

Had one on my old Tuffy with a 25 Merc. Helped a LOT. I had a Sting Ray. Works on the same principle as a wing. More surface area over the top creates lift. Results in better hole shot, and overall performance.
Jono
Posted 7/5/2006 4:19 PM (#199387 - in reply to #198934)

I put a stingray on and it worked wonders for my boat. Had many of the same issues you described. Wish I had not waited so long to add it.

Jono
mikie
Posted 7/5/2006 4:40 PM (#199392 - in reply to #198934)

Todd, I guess i always said: the more fin, the better! Hope it works for you. I got mine about 1/2 price from someone here on the Board, the worst part was bringing myself to drill 4 holes in my cavvy plate (so, I had Mauser do it!). It's on now, just need a couple new tires before i put her back on the road to the water. Soon, I hope. m
ToddM
Posted 7/5/2006 6:32 PM (#199400 - in reply to #198934)

Thanks a bunch for the reply guys. Yeah, I was going to get that stingray but I went for a proffessional opinion and was steered to the one I bought which was right next to it. It does not have the big wings but it does have way more rearward fin which he told me was more important. Both brands claim to be the best in overall performance, the one I bought claims their best performance come from bass and walleye boats magazine.

Mikie, try drilling holes for an external transome mounted transducer or temp/speed sensor.
ToddM
Posted 8/27/2006 2:31 PM (#206792 - in reply to #198934)

Hey guys, had a chance to test out the whale tale last week and it did/didn't make a big difference. It did plane the boat faster for sure in 1/4 the time. I was hoping it would plane the boat with 4 people but it never did. What it did do however was flatten the boat out under full speed while not planing. Before it was bow to the sky and now runs flat like on plane just too much hull in the water. The bow never jumps up which is nice. 29 with just me, 22 with three and 13 with 4 people according to my depth finder speed. Thanks again for the help.
lambeau
Posted 8/27/2006 4:50 PM (#206809 - in reply to #198934)

with 4 people in a 14ft boat running a 25hp motor, riding flat is doing GOOD.
that's a lot of weight concentrated in a small area for that motor to try to lift.
be happy!
muskynightmare
Posted 8/27/2006 5:10 PM (#206810 - in reply to #198934)

I used to have stingrays on the old boat. The motor was a '56 Johnson, and had no problem drilling the bolt holes. Worked nice for the tired motor, until she was too tired. I wonder though, would drilling bolt holes in a newer motor void your warranty? Not that the new motor needs any help planing out.
rob.s
Posted 8/28/2006 11:42 AM (#206903 - in reply to #198934)

Any one using the XR PERFORMANCE MAXIMUS HYDROFOIL STABILIZER whale tail,that's in the cabelas book?
mikie
Posted 8/28/2006 6:24 PM (#206978 - in reply to #198934)

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=119072

Here's pics of one a guy named Bryan makes, the fast boat boys seem to like his work. m
Rick Mikel
Posted 9/1/2006 9:27 AM (#207519 - in reply to #198934)

I have used the stingray hydrofils on a 17ft (50 hp and 18 ft lund 115hp and an 18 ft warrior 150 hp. It is one of most performance changing things you can add to a boat for the least amount of money. It has 2 distinct advantages. First it will get your boat on plane faster. Second it will keep your boat from cantering (rolling) when you turn side ways in waves. It makes the boat ride flat with the wave in rough water making it easier to maintain your balance when casting. They work very well for this on boats with narrower beams. They do not help much on wider beam boats. Typically, you will lose a mile or two of top end speed on any boat. Hope this helps!

Rick
ToddM
Posted 9/1/2006 9:13 PM (#207617 - in reply to #198934)

Rick, thanks for the reply. Seen you at the phillips 66 a couple weeks ago in tower. Was in a hurry to get my kids up to the cabin, they were ancy. I did notice the boat turned real well and stayed flat, before it would go bow to the sky.
Cleve
Posted 10/2/2006 8:57 AM (#212002 - in reply to #207519)

Rick Mikel - 9/1/2006 9:27 AM

I have used the stingray hydrofils on a 17ft (50 hp and 18 ft lund 115hp and an 18 ft warrior 150 hp. It is one of most performance changing things you can add to a boat for the least amount of money. It has 2 distinct advantages. First it will get your boat on plane faster. Second it will keep your boat from cantering (rolling) when you turn side ways in waves. It makes the boat ride flat with the wave in rough water making it easier to maintain your balance when casting. They work very well for this on boats with narrower beams. They do not help much on wider beam boats. Typically, you will lose a mile or two of top end speed on any boat. Hope this helps!

Rick

I agree - it's a tremendous improvement in stability, cornering, and planing time. It makes the ride smoother, and the boat feels 'bigger'. I've ran them on 3 different boats of mine - a 14' Smokercraft with both a 9.5 and 20 hp Johnson, a 16 foot Starcraft with 65 hp Mercury, and my current boat - a 17 ft Smokercraft Millentia with 75 hp power tilt/trim Merc. I didn't think with power tilt and trim I'd need it, but even then the boat still gets on plane quicker.
dh buc
Posted 10/3/2006 7:22 PM (#212395 - in reply to #198934)

I had a tail on my old boat with a 50 hp Mariner. Hate to burst the happy bubble but here is what I noticed- it brought on plane faster but took away a little on top speed cause of the drag I assume. The drag caused me to use more gas!!!! Took it off and I got better mileage. Something to ponder about. If it was that great, manufactures would be widening there fins and using it as a marketing tool to sell their engines.
ToddM
Posted 10/3/2006 8:29 PM (#212416 - in reply to #198934)

I agree, not all boats really need one. I seen a guy ask about them, he had a 16ft aluminum boat with a 75 on it. I wondered why. In my case it helped tremendously because I would burn more gas without it since I was pushing way more water.
Eddie
Posted 11/7/2006 9:24 AM (#219374 - in reply to #206903)
Subject: RE: whale tails (xr performance)

I recently tried to order the maximus hydrofoil stabilizer and Cabela's has removed it from their inventory.
I also emailed their customer service department requesting any information regarding this product (manufacturer, problems with the product, why they discontinued it, etc.
Their response was "We have discontinued that item".

Do you have any information regarding this product.
Thanks
Eddie
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)