Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Powerdrive Transducer

Reply New post
Message Subject: Powerdrive Transducer
RAZE1
Posted 4/7/2003 6:02 PM (#66166)
Subject: Powerdrive Transducer

A friend of mine wants to mount his transducer on his motor. He bought the bracket, but due to the nature of this motor the cable will be the trickey part. Has anyone done this and if so maybe give me a shortcut ? I'm sure I will figure out a way but I haven't even seen it yet. I got a Maxxim and I just ran my cable up to the sizzor mount and cut and spliced my cable and mounted my unit on it with a angled bracket I made.
sworrall
Posted 4/7/2003 6:48 PM (#66171 - in reply to #66166)
Subject: RE: Powerdrive Transducer

Use a trolling motor transducer with the 'hose clamp' that comes with it. Mount the trnnsducer to the trolling motor bottom, run the cable from the transducer through the handle of the motor, snake it through the coiled cable, and lead it to the sonar head. I use cable ties  at the top of the trolling motor shaft and where ever else necessary to affix the cable so it stays where one wants it.
RAZE1
Posted 4/7/2003 10:23 PM (#66198 - in reply to #66166)

Thanks Steve,

The part I'm missing is how to configure the cable running up the shaft. I think the shaft has to slide through the yoke everytime it is deployed, so wire ties on the shaft would be out of the question. I would drill and feed through the shaft if I knew it would seal 100% and last a long time. Wish he would have gotten the motor with the built-in Ducer.
Shep
Posted 4/7/2003 11:19 PM (#66200 - in reply to #66198)

Raze,

Ask your local Minn Kota AUTHORIZED service man if he will accomplish this for you. I've heard that our guy in West Allis does this, and it works great.
RAZE1
Posted 4/8/2003 12:06 AM (#66202 - in reply to #66200)

Thanks Shep, I'll give them a try.
RAZE1
Posted 4/8/2003 11:23 AM (#66257 - in reply to #66202)

I spoke with a techie at Minn Kota today. He said there's no way of getting around the problem of the cable attachment on the shaft. He advised my against cutting and splicing the coax.( I cut and spliced mine to remove all the extra cable and it seems to work just fine) Forgot to ask him the cost of retrofitting a universal transducer housing on this motor. My guess is that this wouldn't be cost effective.
..............................................RAZE
sworrall
Posted 4/8/2003 12:03 PM (#66261 - in reply to #66257)

Run the transducer cable along the side of the motor housing and affix it with a tie strap at the top of that housing around the base of the shaft. Then run the cable loose up to the handle and put it through same. Run it to the top of the motor head, and affix it to the shaft with a tie strap there, too. Then run it to the sonar through the coiled cable and along the power cord. The cord will ride through the handle when the motor is deployed or retracted into the mount, look good, and have no loose wires.
Shep
Posted 4/8/2003 2:10 PM (#66274 - in reply to #66261)

Raze,

The tech is correct. I called our service guy, and he aid that he can run the cable through the shaft on a Genesis, but nt the PD/AP's. Sorry about that.
RAZE1
Posted 4/8/2003 3:19 PM (#66293 - in reply to #66261)

Thanks Steve, that will work for me.

Thanks Shep, your efforts are well appreciated.

Edited by RAZE1 4/8/2003 3:22 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)