Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Rainy Lake Ontario Musky

Message Subject: Rainy Lake Ontario Musky
AndrewR
Posted 8/21/2014 10:22 AM (#726483)
Subject: Rainy Lake Ontario Musky

I'll be off to fish the north arm of Rainy Lake next week for the first time out of Camp Narrows Resort. Multi-species trip.
I've read articles and have been getting conflicting reports that parts of the lake contain fishable musky populations while certain other areas may or may not have them.

Anybody have an idea on what the muskie fishery looks like up in this region? From what people have told me odds are better towards the eastern end by Kettle Falls and Voyageurs.

I understand it could be a needle in a haystack type of deal but if muskies could be around in north arm, I'd like to have a shot at one.

Ideas? Thanks.
BrianF.
Posted 8/21/2014 2:51 PM (#726532 - in reply to #726483)
Subject: Re: Rainy Lake Ontario Musky

Red Gut Bay is said to have a decent population and I have good intel and seen photos of some very large muskies being taken in the Seine River. Never been to either personally, but have talked to those that have. There are giants in that lake. Brian
larryc
Posted 8/21/2014 4:59 PM (#726555 - in reply to #726483)

Muskies are RARE around the Northwest Bay area. Nice pike though.
AndrewR
Posted 8/21/2014 6:07 PM (#726560 - in reply to #726483)

Thanks all for the info. I managed to go back thru the archives to 2004 and found two known regions within a boat drive away from camp, in the same arm, where I may be lucky to contact one. I also managed to find Red Gut Bay on the map but holy moly would that be a trek to get to! At least the pike run big and can't beat that.
larryc
Posted 8/22/2014 7:08 AM (#726604 - in reply to #726483)

Buy the chart before you go out. Lots of lower unit eating rocks . JMO but if catching a muskie is important you'll be disappointed.
This is the internet so archive information is as likely to be false as it is true.
Slobasaurus
Posted 8/22/2014 7:43 AM (#726607 - in reply to #726483)

Red guy bay has a fishable population. Raised some very nice ones there and caught a few short fish there. Firetiger grandma got the action but it was a June trip (years ago).
kustomboy
Posted 8/23/2014 7:57 AM (#726731 - in reply to #726483)

I've fished Red Gut Bay (a HUGE area of water) for several years. There are muskies in there and with some work you can find them. However, if you are looking for numbers or action you are probably better off picking a different lake. I love Red Gut Bay but we fish more for big pike than muskies there. A muskie is a bonus fish.
Anonymous
Posted 8/23/2014 11:36 AM (#726751 - in reply to #726483)
Subject: RE: Rainy Lake Ontario Musky

Who knows what the trip will bring.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)