Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Trolling Motor Questions

Message Subject: Trolling Motor Questions
mikes
Posted 3/24/2003 9:58 PM (#64695)
Subject: Trolling Motor Questions

I am looking for some advice on what I should be looking for in a trolling motor. I bought a new boat last year and the trolling motor that came with it is complete garbage and it needs to go. I have about an $800 to $900 hundred-dollar budget and I was leaning toward a Minn Kota Maxxum 75 or an Auto Pilot 65. To get an idea of what size boat I have, I am running an 18’ Tracker Tundra. My boat is already rigged for a 24-volt system, so I am definitely going that route.

I guess my question is, are there better options then Minn Kota at this price range and if not, which of the two listed above is the better choice?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Edited by mikes 3/24/2003 10:16 PM
ToddM
Posted 3/24/2003 10:22 PM (#64699 - in reply to #64695)
Subject: RE: Trolling Motor Questions

without a doubt, get the biggest autopilot you can buy. You will be happy.
sworrall
Posted 3/24/2003 10:29 PM (#64701 - in reply to #64699)

There is the cable drive camp, and the motor drive camp. I like the Auto Pilot alot, and it will be in your price range. In my very humble opinion, there isn't an option to a Minn Kota when looking at ALL the features and benefits, and customer service.
stephendawg
Posted 3/25/2003 5:29 AM (#64714 - in reply to #64695)

I agree with Steve. I own 2 AP's and have operated a third. On average condition days you'll be amazed at how much fishing you do and how little motor operating you'll do. Manage your batteries. Some don't understand that low batteries affect the compass' ability to operate. Keep the batteries charged and you shouldn't have any problems. MinnKota stands behind their products too.
Musky Fever
Posted 3/25/2003 8:52 AM (#64727 - in reply to #64695)

I've had two Auto Pilots and love them.
You can't beat the hands free fishing of the Auto Pilot, just point it in the direction you want to go and your fishing.
As soon as I sell my boat, I will be putting an Auto Pilot on my new rig.:)
mikes
Posted 3/26/2003 11:49 AM (#64830 - in reply to #64695)

Thanks for the great input.

I have one more question. Is it better to buy a trolling motor with a sonar transducer built in? Does anybody have a strong opinion on this either way?
Shep
Posted 3/26/2003 12:06 PM (#64833 - in reply to #64830)

Absolutely get the Universal Sonar option. Much better performance, cleaner looking install, no pinched cables, no smashed pucks hanging on your motor. I got it, and am glad I did.
Mark H.
Posted 3/26/2003 12:25 PM (#64836 - in reply to #64695)

Not much I can add...Minn-Kota is the way to go.

AP or Maxxim will be personal choice.

For the past 5+ years I have used the Power Drive series, this season I am starting out with a Maxxim. I have my reservations about always having to have on foot on the pedal...time will tell.

Never a problem with any of the Power Drives I had, I did like the Auto Pilot feature and would not buy another one without it.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)