Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> flaptail question

Message Subject: flaptail question
muskyroller
Posted 7/17/2014 6:19 PM (#721160)
Subject: flaptail question

Just recently got a flaptail and I've always wondered...What's up with the extended wire off the nose to attach to the leader? For years I've seen them and always thought it seemed strange since you would attach a solid leader to it anyway.

Anyone "know?"
DH.Pare
Posted 7/17/2014 9:10 PM (#721178 - in reply to #721160)
Subject: RE: flaptail question

The wire off the nose is there to tune the bait try bending it upwards in very small amounts it will get the end of the bait to rise bringing it in. Big part of getting that sound
Clark A
Posted 7/17/2014 9:24 PM (#721179 - in reply to #721160)
Subject: Re: flaptail question

I "believe" the first was introduced by Heddon, and I'm just guessing that in the days it may have been an unadvertised selling point of already having a "wire leader". When these baits originally came out the tackle that was used was bulky and heavy. I'm mainly referring to the piano or super heavy braided wire with a giant snap swievel on the back and just a swievel to the main line. This extra weight probably caused the bait to ride too nose heavy. I'm guessing that the "Snodlow", Hi-Finn, and all the Chippewa Flowage variations just kept up the tradtion. They are a very neglected/forgotten lure, and I'm hoping for Violent Strike to reissue a consistantly produced Snodlow's/Dog Turd. Some secrets may be just best kept a secret! The bent nail that holds the blade on wears, and sooner than later the flaptail blade is gone. A bait with a swievel on the blade is a completely different animal. Do they still sell heavy copper flaptail blades, or just thin replicas? This really is a Steve Worrall question!
jdsplasher
Posted 7/17/2014 10:20 PM (#721195 - in reply to #721160)
Subject: RE: flaptail question

The front wire balances the bait, and also helps it track in straighter.

. Flaptails with a screw eye in front tend to wobble and wander with retrieve

JD

muskyroller
Posted 7/18/2014 8:18 AM (#721219 - in reply to #721160)
Subject: Re: flaptail question

Thanks guys! I figured it had something to do with balance and tuning/running of the lure. I appreciate the feedback...I always wondered and now I don't need to anymore. Great replies.

Steve
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)