Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> snapped 9'xh casting...

Message Subject: snapped 9'xh casting...
adubs
Posted 7/12/2014 9:20 PM (#720448)
Subject: snapped 9'xh casting...

just looking for some feedback here in an attempt to avoid this situation in the future. I was using a newer (1yr old little use) 9' xh rod today lobbing a reg bulldawg and my rod snapped clean off about two inches above the bottom guide. (sounded like a .22 rifle being shot when it snapped) I didn't feel like I was arm casting, just letting the rod load and then lobbing it out. My questions is should a 9' xh be suitable for reg bulldawgs? I don't even own a pounder, just reg size BD's so I figured I didn't need to go to anything really stiff. Is this something that may have been operator error on my part? Anyone else have this happen??

thanks,

Adubs
MstrMusky
Posted 7/12/2014 9:41 PM (#720453 - in reply to #720448)
Subject: Re: snapped 9'xh casting...

It's really impossible to say. In my experience, when something like this happens...the rod was probably "banged" previously creating a weakness. Many times people don't even realize this "banging" happens cause it happens when landing a fish. Then the rod breaks at a later date. I've not had it happen, but I've seen it happen to other people where it just snaps off. Saw it happen to someone on a backswing to cast no less.
bowhunter29
Posted 7/13/2014 8:38 AM (#720493 - in reply to #720448)

If you've been using this rod for a year, the problem wasn't the rod. It was damaged before it snapped.

jeremy
Tackle Industries
Posted 7/13/2014 4:49 PM (#720534 - in reply to #720453)

MstrMusky - 7/12/2014 9:41 PM

It's really impossible to say. In my experience, when something like this happens...the rod was probably "banged" previously creating a weakness. Many times people don't even realize this "banging" happens cause it happens when landing a fish. Then the rod breaks at a later date. I've not had it happen, but I've seen it happen to other people where it just snaps off. Saw it happen to someone on a backswing to cast no less.

Rods are not glass but they can get scored like glass and breaks. Nothing looks wrong but it snaps. A true manufacturing defect will show itself in the first few casts or maybe 30 minutes or less of use. I have talked with pro staff of rod companies all the way up to St Croix pros and all have told me various stories. One reoccurring issue was that some pro guides used to just pile up the rods and drive from spot to spot and after some time they noticed rods snapping. This was caused by the rods bouncing and rubbing against each other during travel and causing minimal damage to the blanks but after time it caused the rods to snap.

One thing I am thinking about for Tackle Industries rods in the future is to sell every rod with a protective rod sock. Won't stop you from dinging the gunnel or in use damage but it will be nice for the rod while traveling. I am doing this now for the new bass rods and for the whopping $3 a rod sock it cost me its not too much to just add to the current musky rod lineup.

James
PS-just in case this was one of my rods I have a no Qs asked lifetime warranty. LOL even if the dog eats it! Replaced a rod last week from a guy who shut it in the door. Guy was even honest about it too
Gobble!
Posted 7/13/2014 5:37 PM (#720540 - in reply to #720448)

^ great customer service there!
mnmusky
Posted 7/13/2014 7:08 PM (#720552 - in reply to #720448)

Yep. Love those TI rods! tough and you get the most bang for the buck.
SixBowls
Posted 7/13/2014 7:59 PM (#720562 - in reply to #720534)

Tackle Industries - 7/13/2014 4:49 PM

MstrMusky - 7/12/2014 9:41 PM

Rods are not glass but they can get scored like glass and breaks. Nothing looks wrong but it snaps. A true manufacturing defect will show itself in the first few casts or maybe 30 minutes or less of use. I have talked with pro staff of rod companies all the way up to St Croix pros and all have told me various stories. One reoccurring issue was that some pro guides used to just pile up the rods and drive from spot to spot and after some time they noticed rods snapping. This was caused by the rods bouncing and rubbing against each other during travel and causing minimal damage to the blanks but after time it caused the rods to snap.

One thing I am thinking about for Tackle Industries rods in the future is to sell every rod with a protective rod sock. Won't stop you from dinging the gunnel or in use damage but it will be nice for the rod while traveling. I am doing this now for the new bass rods and for the whopping $3 a rod sock it cost me its not too much to just add to the current musky rod lineup.

James
PS-just in case this was one of my rods I have a no Qs asked lifetime warranty. LOL even if the dog eats it! Replaced a rod last week from a guy who shut it in the door. Guy was even honest about it too ;)

James - do you cover rods stuck in a ceiling fan?
adudeuknow
Posted 7/13/2014 9:13 PM (#720571 - in reply to #720448)

that's why your rods will be my only rods James!
Tackle Industries
Posted 7/13/2014 11:09 PM (#720580 - in reply to #720448)

"James - do you cover rods stuck in a ceiling fan?"

yes....
adubs
Posted 7/14/2014 8:28 AM (#720607 - in reply to #720580)

this rod was a TI rod. One of 5 in my boat! I would imagine that it was something that I did and didn't notice with the rod. I store them in long Cabelas sleeves that have round pvc in the bottom 6" that can fit around a bait while transporting (even though I never leave a bait on unless I'm using it) and I also put neoprene reel covers on all my reels, all the time. I don't know when or how I would've damaged the rod but it happened. I didn't say it was a TI rod in the initial explanation because I didn't want anyone to take it the wrong way and make it appear in a negative light for james and his product. I love his rods and never even thought about another brand. I figured he would be great to work with and as expected he was. I sent him an email on Saturday and had a response the same day!! Gotta love a guy that stands behind his product and is so great to work with.

Thanks James!

Aaron
Will Schultz
Posted 7/14/2014 9:13 AM (#720614 - in reply to #720448)

I broke a couple rods in that general area , both on hook sets, many years ago and have identified why I was doing it. I would always use the factory supplied lure hanger just above the cork on the fore grip, lures would then bounce around when traveling from spot to spot and damage the blank just below the first guide. My solution, that has worked so far, is to drill a hole in the trigger on each rod and hang the lures from there. This keeps all but the longest lures off the blank and reduces damage.
TheMuskyMan
Posted 7/15/2014 6:58 AM (#720729 - in reply to #720448)

James has great customer service. He has fixed a few problems I have had with is product no questions asked.
Thanks Again for your Great Customer service James!
que
Posted 7/15/2014 6:21 PM (#720826 - in reply to #720448)
Subject: RE: snapped 9'xh casting...

Had a problem last year with a TI rod. After an email and quick discussion, problem was solved. Quick and fair customer service. Thank you James. I still like the two piece for travel, great rod.
achotrod
Posted 8/12/2014 2:31 PM (#725154 - in reply to #720448)

James I just picked up 2 TI rods partly based on this thread and well because they are great rods backed by a great guy. My question is has your site just not been updated yet? The old warranty is still up with exclusions for accidental damage etc. Also says it does not cover guides. Is this correct?
Big Dangler
Posted 8/12/2014 2:46 PM (#725160 - in reply to #720448)
Subject: RE: snapped 9'xh casting...

Did they snap right here? My friend and I had two rods, a 9 ft and an 8' 6" break in the exact same spot to the centimeter above the first guide. Mine the 2nd day ever using it and the 2nd day of our trip after driving with it on the boat deck over waves, his the fourth day pulling on a submerged cabbage weed. He had caught a 49 and other fish on it earlier in the trip. The rod manufacturer stood behind it and replaced it.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(photo 1 (3).JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments photo 1 (3).JPG (62KB - 259 downloads)
Tackle Industries
Posted 8/12/2014 4:50 PM (#725181 - in reply to #725154)

achotrod - 8/12/2014 2:31 PM

James I just picked up 2 TI rods partly based on this thread and well because they are great rods backed by a great guy. My question is has your site just not been updated yet? The old warranty is still up with exclusions for accidental damage etc. Also says it does not cover guides. Is this correct?

Ya, I have not had time to reword my warranty to a no Qs asked service. For guides, I have warrantied rods before for guides but its cheaper to just have them fixed by a rod shop. This is also why we are moving to all alloy guide rings now. New bass and walleye rods will also have alloy rings. No more ceramic rings! Guides are the #1 complaint among most, if not all, rod manufacturers.
achotrod
Posted 8/12/2014 7:23 PM (#725213 - in reply to #720448)

Cool, just wanted to make sure. Someone already stepped on one in the boat bending up a guide and taking a chip out of the epoxy exposing the threads. It survived so all is well with a little 5 min epoxy to cover the thread back up.

I got telescoping 9ft rods in XH and XXH. So far very impressed with both, love the handles, alloy guides and action although the XH seems much stiffer than the XXH which I thought was odd. I pretty much gave the GF my St Croix after using them.
Also thanks for the recommendation to R&M. Very friendly guys and have the best pricing out there.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)