Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Converting One Piece Rod to Two Pieces?

Message Subject: Converting One Piece Rod to Two Pieces?
mountainmuskies
Posted 7/6/2014 12:36 PM (#719388)
Subject: Converting One Piece Rod to Two Pieces?

Anyone have any experience doing this on their own? I have a couple one-piece TI Rods that I would like to convert to two piece versions. If so, what would you recommend using to cut the rod in half would a hacksaw work? Anywhere online where you could buy the pieces needed to connect the two ends together? Would epoxy work to attach the connecting pieces together or would super glue work? Any tips or online articles/tutorials would be appreciated.
FAT-SKI
Posted 7/6/2014 1:31 PM (#719393 - in reply to #719388)
Subject: RE: Converting One Piece Rod to Two Pieces?

I am in no way an expert on this. But common sense tells me a few different things. (again I could be very wrong)

One piece rods have a certain level on structural integrity (like most things)as do two piece rods. If you cut a one piece in half you are ruining that integrity of the rod. especially if you don't really know what you are getting into. Two piece rods are built in such a way that it has the same ability of a one piece rod. I would think that when a two piece rod is made there is a certain spot to cut the blank so that it still has that strength and power that it would require to do what we need them to do. I would guess that if you start taking a hack saw to a rod blank (that has already been built i.e. TI rod) that you would do far more harm then good. If you cut in the wrong spot, it might not be as good as it was, or possibly even far worse. Then if you are going to epoxy them back together or use super glue... both are meant to stay together and not come apart, so in turn you would end up with rods you cut in half just to build into another one piece rod?

If this is something that you truly need. Just spend the money and buy one that is two pieces or at least is telescoping. Why ruin a rod that you own in hopes that it will be what you want it to be. Now, I am sure that this is in some way possible, But you are probably going to mess a few up before you start understanding how to get it right.

Think of it this way. Maybe buying another rod isn't in the cards for you, maybe it is. But lets say its not. You cut one, two or all of your rods. None of what you did works out.... Then what? you need to replace all the rods you already had and still don't have what you wanted at the start of this. Then you will be spending a ton more money then what was originally needed. When you could have just went out spent the $100 - $200 on a decent telescoping or two piece rods. Or bring a rod you don't use as much to a builder (of which I am sure they know how to do what your asking) and have them take care of it for you for a fee. Then no new rods have to be built.

This is not something I would attempt personally, but I am not as handy as most. I know a rod builder, and I know where I could bring my rod if I wanted to make a change. Not saying you don't have the same connections. just saying if it were me, the risk far out weighs the reward.... I just wouldn't do it. But for your sake I hope someone on here posts something that is of more help. Just throwing out my 2 cents
ChinWhiskers
Posted 7/6/2014 3:11 PM (#719400 - in reply to #719393)

You will need a graphite saw to cut a graphite rod, You will need to find a archery store that cuts arrows or bolts to lengths. I know this because I busted the tip off a 7'6" St.Croix rod and had to replace the tip top . I ended up at my archery & gun smith store He cut the rod down to size that fight the new tip top that I had. I now have a 6" 11" fishing rod. I do not recommend cutting a rod in half , cutting it off from one end or the other will work but not in half. the only glue Id use on a rod is the kind the comes in a tub like chap stick . you melt it and drip it on. Good luck, Id just buy a new rod. Marv.

mountainmuskies
Posted 7/6/2014 3:43 PM (#719402 - in reply to #719388)
Subject: Re: Converting One Piece Rod to Two Pieces?

Buying a new rod would be great if it was a realistic option, but it isn't at the moment. I also understand the integrity issues as well and it doesn't make sense it would be just as easy as picking a spot, cutting, attaching the fixtures and having a two-piece rod.
bowhunter29
Posted 7/7/2014 12:56 PM (#719522 - in reply to #719388)

You'll need to find a very skilled rod builder that can build a ferrule for your rod after cutting it- do not attempt this on your own if this isn't a rod you are willing to sacrifice to an experiment. Rod building companies put tons of R&D into building two-piece rods, it isn't something you can just throw together on your own.

jeremy
Flambeauski
Posted 7/7/2014 1:19 PM (#719528 - in reply to #719388)

Short answer is no, it can't be done for less than what a new TI 2 piece would cost (and not be a total piece of junk upon completion).
TJones
Posted 7/8/2014 7:14 AM (#719654 - in reply to #719388)

Yeah, listen to these guys... this is not a project you wanna get into imo. Id sell the rods u have, and then buy 2 piece. At least you'll save some $ that way.
Eddy B
Posted 7/9/2014 3:02 PM (#719951 - in reply to #719388)

I use mostly one piece rods but have a St. Croix 2 piece. It's action, due to the joint, seems much heavier. So I wonder if you will like the action of your new 2 piece if you try to do this? I bet it can be done especially by someone experienced. Maybe a phone call to St. Croix would help. (715-762-3226). Ask for Dane in retail as he is an experienced musky fisherman. I know they repair broken rods and sell them at a discount in the retail store but I don't recall seeing one repaired after it was broke in half. Usually they are shortened due to a broken tip and repaired by adding a new tip. I only mention St. Croix because I live near there and stop on occasion. Your rod manufacturer might even be a better source of info. for you.
curleytail
Posted 7/10/2014 12:15 PM (#720110 - in reply to #719388)

I disagree with the others. It's really easy to turn a one piece rod into a 2 piece. It's just that it's really difficult to turn it back into a one piece to fish with again...

Seriously though, I wouldn't do it. I think it would be tough to do and might not end up with a result you're happy with. I'd check into the 2 piece TI or St. Croix rods, or maybe a telescopic rod depending on how short you need it to be. Selling your one piece would cover some of the cost of buying a new 2 - piecer.
Pointerpride102
Posted 7/10/2014 1:02 PM (#720116 - in reply to #720110)

Car door or trunk should do the trick. Give it a quick slam and....waaalaa! Two piece rod.

What is the reasoning behind wanting a two piece in place of a one piece?
hawkeye9
Posted 7/12/2014 1:36 PM (#720402 - in reply to #719951)

Eddy B - 7/9/2014 3:02 PM

St. Croix...I know they repair broken rods and sell them at a discount in the retail store but I don't recall seeing one repaired after it was broke in half. .

You didn't see one because they wouldn't sell or send back on warranty a rod that was broken in half. I've got a local rod builder who is unbelievably skilled and he's fixed a few "cheaper" rods that were in half. The grandkids use them now. But it is next to impossible to ever fix a "halved" rod so that it performs as it should. Just had a Legend (bass) rod returned from St. Croix's goldstar plan and in a conversation that's exactly what I was told from them as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)