Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Dive and rise vs twitch bait

Message Subject: Dive and rise vs twitch bait
Juhas
Posted 6/28/2014 5:53 AM (#718190)
Subject: Dive and rise vs twitch bait

So people who use dive and rise jerks and twitch baits. When do you use one over the other? My feeling is that they are used similarly. Do you use jerks in weeds and twitch in rocks and wood? Two different tactics? Personal preference?
Thanks
Chris
jimjimjim
Posted 6/28/2014 9:26 AM (#718204 - in reply to #718190)
Subject: RE: Dive and rise vs twitch bait

use a 9" weighted Suick all the time
Matt DeVos
Posted 6/28/2014 1:21 PM (#718223 - in reply to #718190)
Subject: Re: Dive and rise vs twitch bait

For me, these two bait styles are somewhat interchangeable. It's the inherent pauses in the bait while jerking and/or twitching that you're trying to use to elicit a strike, and I'll typically reach for these baits when fish aren't chasing blades or are lazy/disinterested in the figure 8. When I want to slow down and work a spot more thoroughly, I tend to opt for the twitch bait. If I'm trying to cover more ground, a diver/riser. (I tend to work dive/rise jerks faster than twitchers). For twitching, I like a 9" granny or crane 207. For dive/risers I like Wades Wobblers and/or Bobbies, sometimes a suick.

I'll use the crane pretty much only when the fish are "off". It's got that pronounced hard, tight wiggle that seems to trigger fish sometimes when nothing else does. Has saved the day a few times under post-frontal conditions...including my very first 50"er.

Juhas
Posted 6/28/2014 2:10 PM (#718227 - in reply to #718223)

Matt
Interesting, Thanks
ToddM
Posted 6/28/2014 2:17 PM (#718228 - in reply to #718190)

Exactly what Matt said.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 6/29/2014 1:00 PM (#718320 - in reply to #718190)

It's amazing how thick of weeds you can get a suick to go through. Easy slow pulls and when you hit the weeds you stop and let it back out. I throw both jerkbairs and twitch baits more than anything else

I agree with Matt. If you know me or have seen my posts in the basement you know I like granny's and cranes. After a custom paint Job and some extra etex clear they are a little more neutrally buoyant in the water.
esox69
Posted 6/29/2014 2:52 PM (#718332 - in reply to #718320)

i prefer dive and rise baits because they come thu weeds much better. A newcomer to the jerkbait field is Iraizor Baits with their Barfighter- and this thing rocks! It is SO consistent in it's action you just need to sharpen the hooks and go. CNC machined for exacting tolerances, this WOOD bait doesn't disappoint. It's also a really versatile baits due to the threaded weight insert already installed in the belly for depth control and 'hang time'. I bought a bunch of them and am expecting great things from "The Barfighter"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)