Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Hard plastic baits getting deformed when placed next to wood baits

Message Subject: Hard plastic baits getting deformed when placed next to wood baits
HoosierDrew
Posted 6/20/2014 12:25 PM (#716879)
Subject: Hard plastic baits getting deformed when placed next to wood baits

I placed a couple of wooden baits in the same Plano box as a believer, stalker, and depth raider and the 3 plastic baits came out with bubbles on the seams/expanded/ripples...must've gotten distracted as I typically don't keep these baits together ever. Was surprised at how quick it happened - I placed the baits in the same box the day before, and discovered them on the boat the next day. Anyhow, they were soft to the touch when I discovered it, but have hardened back up. I guess it must have been a chemical reaction between wooden baits epoxy coats and the hard plastic baits. Anyone else have any experience with this? Am worried about the baits failing in a hookup. Thoughts? Have heard it happening with soft plastic baits.

Edited by HoosierDrew 6/20/2014 12:29 PM
MartinTD
Posted 6/20/2014 12:35 PM (#716881 - in reply to #716879)
Subject: Re: Hard plastic baits getting deformed when placed next to wood baits

It was from the heat inside the enclosed Plano box, has nothing to do with the wood baits. Try to keep them out of the direct sunlight as well.

Edited by MartinTD 6/20/2014 12:36 PM
Trophyseeker50
Posted 6/20/2014 12:37 PM (#716882 - in reply to #716879)
Subject: RE: Hard plastic baits getting deformed when placed next to wood baits

I did see this in a repaint/ repair that I did for a client. I assumed it was from heat. I don't see the epoxy being the culprit because I use epoxy clear on every kind of bait I paint. From wood to resin to injection molded plastic. I have seen strange reactions from fluorescent rubber baits eating paint on hard baits. Not sure.

The repair I did was on a depth raider and I coated it first with epoxy and then paint and two more coats of etex.

Edited by Trophyseeker50 6/20/2014 12:53 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (78KB - 239 downloads)
Attachments image.jpg (67KB - 233 downloads)
HoosierDrew
Posted 6/20/2014 12:54 PM (#716884 - in reply to #716879)

The picture of the depthraider is exactly what happened to my depthraider. Very doubtful on the sunlight/heat, as this was discovered as I was setting baits in the morning at 7 a.m., minutes after getting the baits out of my truck where they were not exposed to sunlight/heat. Also, had another believer and stalker in there that were not affected at all. Hmmm, it's a mystery. When you re-did the depthraider, did everything check out structurally? I am worried about failure. How much per bait do you charge to rehab?

Edited by HoosierDrew 6/20/2014 12:55 PM
MACK
Posted 6/20/2014 1:02 PM (#716885 - in reply to #716879)

As MartinTD explained...it's not from a wooden bait touching the plastic baits. It's from the intense heat that builds up inside those clear Plano boxes if left in direct sunlight. Depth Raiders are a bit thicker plastic than the plastic used on the Believers. The Believers will expand REALLY fast and badly if left in even the smallest amount of sunlight for even a short period of time in a Plano box that is closed shut tightly. I believe that the packaging on Believers and Swim Whiz's these days even have a warning on the packaging warning the user of this exact scenario.

I've had baits have bad melting reactions when mixing two different types of plastics. Remember the fiasco caused by the Generation X or Formula X plastics with the bulldawgs years ago? You didn't dare let a Formula X bait touch anything else. But even a plastic worm used for bass fishing can do some destruction to other hard plastics. Sometimes even rubber skirt materials on spinner baits and the such can have reactions.

It's just always best to store similar/like baits with like baits and try to not mix 'n match to prevent all that. And definitely don't leave any kinds of bait stored out in the open sunlight in a clear Plano box that's fully closed and snapped shut. Have even had some wood baits crack over the years being stored in a Plano box that was left in the sun. At times, wooden baits can take on water, which will really build up heat and moisture in those boxes to the point of swelling the wood and cracking the paint jobs...

Just put the Plano boxes away when your done with them. Don't leave them out...or throw a WHITE towel over the top of them...

kyle smoker tackle
Posted 6/20/2014 1:10 PM (#716886 - in reply to #716879)

Xs 3 plano boxs also justncase boxs will do the same
smada
Posted 6/20/2014 1:30 PM (#716892 - in reply to #716879)

I have a shallow raider and topraider that the same thing happened to. I left a plano box in the sun one day in my driveway, came out the next day, and it looked just like the depthraider you posted a picture of. There were no plastic baits anywhere near them.
sworrall
Posted 6/20/2014 2:00 PM (#716898 - in reply to #716886)

I have a Just Encase deck box with hundreds of crankbiats in it that sits in direct sunlight all the time. never have had a single issue.

I have partially melted crankbaits in plastic snap close boxes in direct sunlight.
CPRAPIG
Posted 6/20/2014 2:03 PM (#716899 - in reply to #716879)

Bummer as that Jtd. DR is killer.
Cal
Posted 6/20/2014 2:25 PM (#716902 - in reply to #716879)

I've had multiple Jakes split down the back from the heat buildup. No longer use Planos. They are wall fixtures now in the cabana.

Trophyseeker50
Posted 6/20/2014 3:07 PM (#716909 - in reply to #716879)

I didn't see anything structurally wrong with the bait. I sanded it to remove paint and scuff it up for the new coat like any other bait. I guess I wouldn't be afraid to use them if there not cracked as it's pretty much cosmetic. Pm me for info about repaints.
MACK
Posted 6/20/2014 3:11 PM (#716911 - in reply to #716879)

As long as it didn't get so hot to completely separate the plastic at the seam to the point of allowing water inside the interior chambers of the bait....sure...go ahead and continue using it.

I've seen some Believers blow-up so much from being stored in the Plano boxes that the Believers have popped and burst wide open at the seams. Those baits were done for...

Mtn Hunter
Posted 6/20/2014 3:46 PM (#716915 - in reply to #716879)

use a just encase box from BOB SCHMITT and you wont have any of those issues
bdog
Posted 6/20/2014 8:16 PM (#716943 - in reply to #716898)

Ditto...my just encase deck box never leaves my boat and sits in hot sun often for extended periods of time. No issues in 5 yrs....
muskyhunter47
Posted 6/20/2014 8:48 PM (#716947 - in reply to #716943)

Yep never had a problem with my just encase . Bob makes great boxes. When I buy my next boat Bob will get a call to make me a new one Best thing I ever bought for my boat
adubs
Posted 6/20/2014 9:57 PM (#716950 - in reply to #716947)

My dad had this happen to a walleye pattern shallow invader last year on LOTW...boated a 45" on it after...didn't even change the action. That we noticed anyways
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)