Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> beer, ads, and fishing

Message Subject: beer, ads, and fishing
mikie
Posted 3/12/2003 2:44 PM (#63498)
Subject: beer, ads, and fishing

Found this article, OK, it's about bass fishing. Now. What's next? You go, Bro' Jimmy!m
OKLAHOMA CITY (BP)--America's most famous fisherman won't be hooking any year-end honors in 2003 because he won't bend the knee to Busch.
Jimmy Houston, a deacon at First Southern Baptist Church in the eastern Oklahoma town of Keys, and host of the ESPN2 television series "Jimmy Houston Outdoors," refused to wear a Busch beer apparel patch and add a Busch decal to his boat at three recent Bass Angler Sportsman Society (BASS) professional events.
Consequently, Houston has forfeited points needed to qualify for the prestigious BASS Master's Classic tournament and a potential Angler of the Year prize worth $100,000.
Of 182 BASS anglers, Houston has been the only one to refuse the Busch logos.

BASS signed Busch as an official sponsor last summer. Houston said he learned of the requirement to carry Busch apparel and decals last fall and knew immediately he could not comply for "ethical, moral and scriptural reasons."

Twice honored as Angler of the Year and a BASS competitor since 1968 -- and the most veteran among active pros -- Houston told the Oklahoma Baptist Messenger newsjournal that BASS is a good organization but is trying to increase visibility and revenue by aligning with a sponsor inappropriate with its family friendly history.

Ironically, BASS participants are prohibited from consuming alcohol on days preceding and during BASS events, Houston said.

He said he is "totally shocked" and disappointed that he is the only holdout.

One other angler, Lyndell Martin of Texas, opted not to fish this year at all, Houston said.

"I really figured 30 or 40 guys would refuse ,"
Houston noted. "I could have written down 20.

"I think before the schedule is completed some of the guys will take that patch off."

Houston was instrumental in developing a Fellowship of Christian Anglers group and counts many of those complying with the rule as Christian brothers and friends.

"One guy asked me, 'Jimmy, didn't you pray about this?'

"I told him, 'No, I didn't pray about it. There was nothing to pray about. I didn't have a decision to make.

"I thought, 'Well, I'll fish and not get any points.' I knew what I was supposed to do."

Houston said the excuses he's heard from fellow Christian anglers about the Busch endorsement are almost "word for word" of what he's heard from some of his Christian friends on the NASCAR circuit who comply with similar alcohol sponsorships.

He said one young driver he knows, Hank Parker Jr., turned down a lucrative endorsement of Seagram's Ice, a wine product.

"Consequently, he's without a ride this year," Houston said. "You can't say at this price tag I'll maintain what I believe, but at this price tag I won't. It boils down to a lack of faith."

Houston is eligible for money winnings at each event in which he fishes but cannot accumulate BASS points for honors or re-qualification for the 2004 tour. If he competes in 2004, he must qualify through other means, he said.

Houston has qualified for 15 BASS Master Classics -- the granddaddy of fishing tournaments -- and is an inductee into the Fishing Hall of Fame, Hall of Legendary Anglers and the Pro Bass Angler Association Hall of Fame.

"He's basically on the outside looking in because of his Christian testimony," said Andy Bowman, Houston's pastor and collaborater with Houston on two books, "The Reel Line" and "Hooked for Life."

Houston said God has validated his decision, however.

"I had to leave my truck and boat with a Chevrolet dealer in Tallahassee, Fla., for 10 days last month while I flew to Los Angeles. During that time, he moved my boat into the showroom for everyone to see. Can you imagine people seeing a Busch beer decal on my boat and thinking Jimmy Houston is endorsing Busch beer? What message would that send?"

Standing on principle is a faith exercise, Houston noted.

"It feels like a kick in the head. That's what it feels like. I've been through this 1,000 times in business. But thankfully, I'm not running things -- God is."

Sponge
Posted 3/12/2003 2:56 PM (#63500 - in reply to #63498)
Subject: RE: beer, ads, and fishing

Thanks Mikie for the article; good to see a personal conviction walk away from the "cash cow" and do what he knows he should. All the $$$ in the world won't buy sleep or peace, and Houston is A-1 in my book. Granted, $$$ can ease a lot of probs., but in the end we'll not take a "thin dime" w/ us! Alcohol/effects of nearly daggone killed me numerous times, and I too would beat feet if I was asked to wear ad. stuff to work. Just my personal belief on the matter.:)
theedz155
Posted 3/12/2003 3:43 PM (#63505 - in reply to #63498)

That's pretty cool Mikie. Now if we could only get him to fish ski's instead of the baitfish bass.

Sponge, you needing reason to leave work is like like a ziplok baggie needing a reason to leak. You don't need one, it just happens.

Scott
kevin
Posted 3/12/2003 6:45 PM (#63529 - in reply to #63498)

Pretty darn crappy of BASS. Jimmy Houston is definitely one of the guys you want representing your sport beer patch or not. As for the racing connection I know the Petty's refuse to put Bud pole stickers on their cars for possibly the same reason. Therefore they are inelligible to run in the bud-shootout race at the beginning of the season. BASS lost my subscription money a couple years ago, this only proves what a good decision that was.
ghoti
Posted 3/12/2003 8:08 PM (#63547 - in reply to #63498)

Class act for that fish kissin fool.
pi-esox
Posted 3/13/2003 6:46 PM (#63624 - in reply to #63498)

I met Jimmy at a musky seminar at Bass pro Shops hosted by Pete Maina and he was teaching a bass class before. When the bass boys were leaving Jimmy said make room for the testosterone boys! I would say Jimmy has a big set!
Gotta admire the man!

Edited by pi-esox 3/13/2003 6:47 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)