Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> St Croix rods on craigslist?

Message Subject: St Croix rods on craigslist?
Backtroller
Posted 5/6/2014 9:05 PM (#710410)
Subject: St Croix rods on craigslist?

There are a few "regulars" on craigslist that are always selling rods. I Was wondering if anyone had any luck with these? They are supposedly new, but when you contact them I have been told they are a second of Some sort. For example, a Sling Blade that was 8' or 8'2" instead of 8'6" supposedly it ended up shorter when it was made and cannot be sold as Perfect. The tip was not replaced, it was just shorter. I have seen prices between $180-200 for rods such as this example. Is this just a line? Is there any truth to rods coming out of the rod making process short? If it is true, does that 6" totally change the feel of the rod? I have not pulled the trigger since I am sure that I'd get screwed and I don't know if it is worth the gamble.
Jeff78
Posted 5/6/2014 9:23 PM (#710412 - in reply to #710410)
Subject: Re: St Croix rods on craigslist?

They are rods that have been returned probably due to breaking the tip off. I have see them sold in bundles on Ebay. I suppose people buy them and cut the tip down and retip it. The logo will be scratched off so there is no warranty. Spend the extra hundy or so and get the real deal, it should last you a lifetime.
Backtroller
Posted 5/6/2014 9:52 PM (#710419 - in reply to #710410)

Yes I have seen the bundles on eBay and have heard about the scratched off labels. My buddy has a few from the St. Croix store like that. However, the picture I was sent showed the label and the spacing of the tip and guides looked just like the "full price" Sling Blade I already own.
beerforthemuskygods
Posted 5/7/2014 4:26 AM (#710431 - in reply to #710410)

Could possibly be a B-stock rod that someone picked up and is trying to make a buck on e-bay. I have a couple of b-stock st croixs and they are just fine. The warranty is only good for a year though.
bowhunter29
Posted 5/7/2014 6:57 AM (#710444 - in reply to #710410)

St Croix doesn't mistakenly build shorter rods.

jeremy
curleytail
Posted 5/7/2014 7:32 AM (#710448 - in reply to #710410)

I think a Sling Blade or the like missing 4-6" from the tip end of the rod will behave drastically different. Might not notice an inch or two much, but beyond that I think the rod would start to get pretty stiff and much slower in action. I think I'd pass on those.
K-Rock
Posted 5/7/2014 8:32 AM (#710457 - in reply to #710410)

The St. Croix factory store sells "B" stock rods that are the correct length, come with a 1 year warranty, but usually have a minor fault in the finish or were returned as part of the trade up program. I have several of these rods and have never had a problem. They also sell rods that are sent in for warranty repairs...if a person snaps off the end of a rod, they will fix it, remove their logo, and sell it for dirt cheap with no warranty.
Backtroller
Posted 5/7/2014 9:02 AM (#710464 - in reply to #710410)

Thanks guys. Usually when something sounds too good....
Flambeauski
Posted 5/7/2014 9:43 AM (#710476 - in reply to #710410)

There's a few guys out there with a little rod wrapping experience that can make it look like "B" stock, but Jeremy is right, you find one shorter than the intended length and it was used, broken, retipped.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)