Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Hey, take this" Running_Hot (just before smacking me in the face with a sucker)
- (Added by: Slamr)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Shelf life of mold making Silicone

Message Subject: Shelf life of mold making Silicone
musky slut
Posted 4/3/2014 1:49 PM (#704152)
Subject: Shelf life of mold making Silicone

Hey ya'll is there a way to tell if silicone has gone bad ? I have had it a while
RiverMan
Posted 4/3/2014 9:34 PM (#704297 - in reply to #704152)
Subject: Re: Shelf life of mold making Silicone

I have used some that was at least a year old, maybe longer. I would say mix it up, if it looks smooth it will probably cure ok. You might try google too and see what you come up with.

Jed
ShutUpNFish
Posted 4/4/2014 7:13 AM (#704329 - in reply to #704152)

Mold pouring silicone does have a shelf life and they claim it goes bad over time....It even breaks down in mold form whether being used or just sitting. I found that surprising myself when I first read it. Anyway, if you warm it up slightly and mix the two parts to make a mold, it should help the pliability...over time it usually gets tacky and thicker. All you can do is like RiverMan says and try to pour a mold with it and see.
blackriver
Posted 4/4/2014 8:58 AM (#704365 - in reply to #704152)

it last longer than you think, regardless of brand. Not sure how long you have had it but instead of mixing the whole batch and potentially ruining your master, mix up a very small amount and pour it out flat on your work bench. Let it set and check to see how it feels and tears. In my experience, if its bad, the consistency will be "mushy" and it just won't set. If the little sample feels solid, pour away!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)