Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Discarded Line

Reply New post
Message Subject: Discarded Line
ricepicker
Posted 3/5/2014 9:54 AM (#696390)
Subject: Discarded Line

I routinely remove the prop on my outboards to check for discarded line, but never thought about doing it to my electric motor, until last fall. I was really surprised to see a bunch of old line behind my electric prop. I'll be checking that regularly too. Makes sense that the electric is running in shallow weedy water where it's likely to run into old line hung up on the weeds. Just though i'd share this in case someone else has the same mind set.
Clammer
Posted 3/5/2014 10:22 AM (#696401 - in reply to #696390)
Subject: Re: Discarded Line

Yes, ck mine from time to time. Sure can get wrapped up in there!
PJV
Posted 3/5/2014 10:53 AM (#696412 - in reply to #696390)
Subject: RE: Discarded Line

Braided line in the trolling motor prop can cause major damage. Mine quit working because the tension from the line caused the water-proofing to fail and water got in to the electric motor, fried the whole thing. The guy who repaired it recommended checking for line in there at least once a week.
muskie_madness
Posted 3/5/2014 10:12 PM (#696612 - in reply to #696390)

Burnt mine up last year as well because of line. Fix was only $60 but trip to my favorite muky lake with a bum trolling motor was certainly more expensive!
eightweight
Posted 3/6/2014 5:12 PM (#696838 - in reply to #696390)

Sad to say I cannot believe that people discard line in the lake. .??.?.
ricepicker - 3/5/2014 9:54 AM

I routinely remove the prop on my outboards to check for discarded line, but never thought about doing it to my electric motor, until last fall. I was really surprised to see a bunch of old line behind my electric prop. I'll be checking that regularly too. Makes sense that the electric is running in shallow weedy water where it's likely to run into old line hung up on the weeds. Just though i'd share this in case someone else has the same mind set.
muskyrat
Posted 3/6/2014 5:34 PM (#696843 - in reply to #696390)

Kind of off topic but I had a guy in a Donzi cut across my transom and cut off a trolled bucktail. I was so peeed I rigged a new bucktail on 40lb monel and let 200feet of line out. Next time he cut across my transom he got a few hundred feet of monel wrapped in his prop. When I saw him trimming his motor and looking at the prop I got a warm fuzzy feeling inside.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 3/6/2014 6:16 PM (#696849 - in reply to #696390)

Did you go see if your bucktail was still attached?
muskyrat
Posted 3/7/2014 7:48 AM (#696941 - in reply to #696849)

No I sacrificed an old Muskie teer from mores lures to get the job done. Worth every penny.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)