Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Non-active fish lures

Message Subject: Non-active fish lures
Drakl
Posted 2/28/2014 11:05 AM (#694916)
Subject: Non-active fish lures

I have realized lately that my partner and I’s fishing consisted mostly of active fish presentations… trolling… casting DCGs… top waters… bull dawgs… then trolling again. I think that a good strategy would be to have one guy on the active fish presentation and the other on the non-active fish presentation and then see what works on any given day. This is why I’d like to get more comfortable with non-active fish presentations… and I am guessing gliders and bondy baits… but what else?

What would be a good combination of active and non-active fish presentations and what lures would you guys suggest that could help achieve that?

Thanks!
anzomcik
Posted 2/28/2014 11:16 AM (#694924 - in reply to #694916)
Subject: Re: Non-active fish lures

Jerkbaits, you can fish fast and the fish crush them. Even nonactive fish just react to them. The jerkbait I use mostly is the Raptor, but many people like suicks, bobbie, leos...
Will Schultz
Posted 2/28/2014 11:53 AM (#694931 - in reply to #694916)

You really have two options to make them eat, tease them or make them react using speed. Speed is pretty straight forward, if you think you're going fast go faster, this can be said of casting or trolling. If trolling and not getting bit I like to increase until I see 6.5 - 7 mph on GPS. To tease them I like using long pauses with neutral weighted crank baits ilke the Jake, Grandma and DDD. I'll also use unweighted bulldawgs with long a long pause. One important part to teasing them is that just because the pause is long doesn't mean you should be gentle ripping the bait forward. The pause gets the lazy ones to engage but you still need to trigger them. A lure that gets pulled slowly forward then paused rarely gets a look on the water I fish.
mountainmuskies
Posted 2/28/2014 2:03 PM (#694953 - in reply to #694916)

10" Weighted Suick is a pretty good ticket for these type of fish, as are larger/slow moving gliders like 9" Cobbs Crazy Shad or Gene's Wide-Glide.
jlammusky
Posted 2/28/2014 2:26 PM (#694958 - in reply to #694916)

try to buy some mulishea from KODIAK !!!! great bait pulls out big fish !!
jasonvkop
Posted 2/28/2014 3:04 PM (#694965 - in reply to #694916)

It's pretty tough to have one person fishing fast and one fishing slow as those presentations usually need two different boat speeds. I like to start with both people fishing fast and then have both people switch to slow baits if the fish aren't moving on fast. If you are going to have the people fishing different speeds, I'd definitely have the guy up front throwing a bucktail at all times. This will usually get the aggressive fish and have a great hooking percentage. Then, behind him, I'd throw a dawg or suick from the back of the boat for the less aggressive fish. I don't fish them much, but a lot of people like tubes for triggering non aggressive fish and it's a bait that can be worked many different ways.
Wade Alexander
Posted 3/2/2014 7:36 AM (#695284 - in reply to #694916)

gliders, jerkbaits, lizards, flies
muskyrat
Posted 3/2/2014 7:59 AM (#695289 - in reply to #694916)
Subject: RE: Non-active fish lures

Live bait dragged behind the boat while I read the NY post and smoke a stogie.
cast4musky
Posted 3/2/2014 8:03 AM (#695291 - in reply to #694916)

Here's something that always works for me without fail... Have your partner fish in the stern of the boat and start throwing Topwater Prop baits Black pacemaker works great. ( This works every-time) Now you stay in the Bow of the boat and open your foil wrapped Bacon egg & cheese sandwich and then open and Balance your Nice Hot Cup of coffee somewhere on the bow of the boat. Now Usually within a minute or two your partner will Hook Up and both of you will start running around in the Boat, getting the net putting rods away and telling each other what to do...... That seems to be the Key for me........Oh yeah forgot to say you No Longer have a hot Coffee...... Try It it works........lol Mike Sr
muskyrat
Posted 3/2/2014 8:17 AM (#695296 - in reply to #695291)

Try ordering some porkroll from N.J. Porkroll egg and cheese is better than bacon egg and cheese anyday. If you are not from N.J. you gotta try one. The ultimate breakfast sammie.
Drakl
Posted 3/3/2014 10:41 AM (#695608 - in reply to #694916)

Thanks for the replies guys. Lots of relevant information!
brianT
Posted 3/3/2014 10:57 AM (#695616 - in reply to #694916)

Gonna have to try that Porkroll egg & cheese!!
mecoltin123
Posted 3/3/2014 11:28 AM (#695629 - in reply to #694916)

Call me crazy but the big game size banjo minnow always seems to get fish when everything else fails. Just be sure to change their trailer hook system to a heavy floro leader cause the one they give you they will bite through with ease.
JakeStCroixSkis
Posted 3/4/2014 7:57 AM (#695959 - in reply to #694916)

I will just search with a small bucktail.
Sidejack
Posted 3/4/2014 8:27 AM (#695968 - in reply to #695291)

cast4musky - 3/2/2014 8:03 AM
... Now you stay in the Bow of the boat and open your foil wrapped Bacon egg & cheese sandwich and then open and Balance your Nice Hot Cup of coffee somewhere on the bow of the boat... Mike Sr

Hahaha!! I remember that seminar you gave on this, Mike.
Coulda swore you said sausage, egg & cheese though..

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(QuintBfastSammy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments QuintBfastSammy.jpg (18KB - 149 downloads)
tswoboda
Posted 3/4/2014 9:13 AM (#695990 - in reply to #694916)

My buddies told me a story of running into Bill Sandy on a nasty cold front day.

They say, "Hey Bill, how do we get these fish to eat in a cold front like this?"
Bill replies, "Doughnuts and ice cream..."
past.the.cast.mike
Posted 3/10/2014 3:40 PM (#697983 - in reply to #694916)

I'm fairly new to musky fishing, how would I know if the musky are not active or just not attracted to my baits/presentation or even in the area?
Sidejack
Posted 3/10/2014 7:47 PM (#698066 - in reply to #694916)

Unfortunately, there's no easy answer to these questions, but fish long and hard enough and yewl end up having a few confidence/reaction baits that help to narrow things down a bit. Past catches, near misses & follows on these baits will instill a false sense of confidence. This confidence solves the questions of whether or not they're attracted to your baits/ presentation but it also leads to a kind of blind knowledge or "labeling" of what mood the fish might be in whenever the action suddenly goes cold as it often does without explaination.
Frequently, the weather becomes the label of choice for explaining why they're not active but as your experience grows you soon discover that "fishing pressure, jet skiers, bait fish, moon phases, line/leader choice, weed treatments, zebra mussels/water clarity, over fishing, live bait locals, winter kill, and water temperature" can all play a part. Approaching veteran status, yewl begin to realize, and more importantly, accept the fact that it's the small things that matter most.
Like, for instance.. doughnuts & ice cream!

Oh, and feel free to post your questions as a stand alone thread of your own.
You might get some others weighing in with their valuable insights.
muskyrat
Posted 3/10/2014 8:30 PM (#698080 - in reply to #698066)

When they are not active trolling small crankbaits works. Also casting small Tubes or Rizzo wiz. One day I`m eating a Pork Roll egg and cheese on an everything bagel with muskie daze. He looks at some ducks eating weeds next to the boat and says to them, (Haha you gotta eat weeds) while he chowed his down.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 3/11/2014 11:22 PM (#698460 - in reply to #694916)

I go super erratic. Like a shallow raider or twisted granny ripped and paused. Twitch twitch BOOM!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)