Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Muskie Reproduction in Susuquehanna

Message Subject: Muskie Reproduction in Susuquehanna
lennyg3
Posted 12/27/2013 12:46 PM (#680769)
Subject: Muskie Reproduction in Susuquehanna

I know that the Susquehanna is regularly stocked with Muskies, but is there natural reproduction of any substance in this river? What are the requirements for muskie spawning? I have caught several small northern pike, however the pike seem to be a little more versatile when it comes to where they can spawn being as though their eggs stick to structure. Do muskie require vegetation to spawn or can they use other structure such as timber? I was reading about it a bit, but wanted opinions from here. Thanks in advance
fishpmc
Posted 12/27/2013 2:02 PM (#680776 - in reply to #680769)
Subject: RE: Muskie Reproduction in Susuquehanna

This is what I have always gone with, with regards to spawning. Musky generally spawn twice, the second time about 14 days after the first time. Unlike northern pike's adhesive eggs, which cling to vegetation, the muskie's eggs settle to the bottom, rather than the weedy in-shore areas northern pike use.
lennyg3
Posted 12/29/2013 12:50 AM (#680972 - in reply to #680776)
Subject: Re: Muskie Reproduction in Susuquehanna

does anyone know if the susky supports natural reproduction?
Cody
Posted 12/29/2013 7:12 PM (#681118 - in reply to #680769)

Lenny, I originally grew up on the Susquehanna River near Harrisburg as a kid I used to fish with a Great muskie fisherman Mr. Ed Crumlich, he always told me they did not due to not having the range to do so, I don't know for sure. A PFBC Officer told me that they don't either, of course the Hybrids don't. I have been told they need range to do so, however I would like to know for sure also. Good question !
lennyg3
Posted 12/29/2013 8:26 PM (#681131 - in reply to #681118)

What do you mean by range? Are you saying they migrate?
Cody
Posted 12/30/2013 6:45 PM (#681292 - in reply to #680769)

Lenny ,From what I'm told they do migrate to spawn and from what I was told the Susquehanna does not have the range needed for this to happen, kinda hard to believe given the length of the Susquehanna. I'm sure someone on this site could give a more definitive answer to your question. I will try to research this to find the answer. I'm close to some musky hatcheries, sure they would know.
anzomcik
Posted 1/2/2014 11:42 AM (#681769 - in reply to #680769)

I can say that I am 99.999% sure they do spawn, there are three things a musky needs to do, eat, breathe, and make more musky. They do spawn, it would be unnatural if they didnt. They have to drive to keep the species going.

I tink the question is "how successful do they spawn". My guess, its very low.
lennyg3
Posted 1/2/2014 2:26 PM (#681830 - in reply to #681769)

anzomcik - 1/2/2014 12:42 PM

I can say that I am 99.999% sure they do spawn, there are three things a musky needs to do, eat, breathe, and make more musky. They do spawn, it would be unnatural if they didnt. They have to drive to keep the species going.

I tink the question is "how successful do they spawn". My guess, its very low.

That was my original question. Do they reproduce in any quantifiable numbers or is the population sustained mostly by stocking? I'm certain they attempt to spawn and surely some survive, but my question is more in regards to success rate i suppose.
anzomcik
Posted 1/2/2014 6:41 PM (#681898 - in reply to #680769)

I am sure it varies each year, but I would like to think some do survive. But I think in PA it would be much harder to catch a musky with out the amount of fish the PFC stock.

I know some waters in PA that I am pretty sure their are a reasonable population of natural fish, no way to really tell. I also know of some waters in PA that seem to be fully dependent on stocking. So if the state quite stocking I hope there would be some pockets of natural fish.
TJones
Posted 1/3/2014 12:09 PM (#682143 - in reply to #681898)

I believe the west branch of susky has been documented to have relatively sucessful natural reproduction... Other parts of the river, I don't think it's really known for sure. Like Anzomcik I also believe there are natural fish in a good number of our waterways... The susky and it's tribs included.

Edited by TJones 1/3/2014 12:10 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)