Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Trolling newbie

Message Subject: Trolling newbie
brianT
Posted 10/8/2013 8:12 AM (#667412)
Subject: Trolling newbie

I've been a full time caster for awhile not and want to start getting into trolling in the colder months. Lots of questions so please bear with me as I don't know much about trolling. I don't want to spend tons of money on gear so I'm fine with equipment that will get the job done but will also hold up is a big slob decided to eat.

Looking for rod and reel recommendations. Are there any left handed line counter reels on the market? Also what's the best option for line? I like the idea of leadcore line as it seems easier to get the baits down without long lining.

On a recent trip to Lake Chatauqua, we lost a nice fish boat side because in the heat of the moment, I forgot to raise the rod as the fish was coming in and the line went slack as the leader hit the rod tip. Does anyone use hollow core line with loop to loop connections like they do for saltwater? The downfall would be cleaning weeds off baits a lot as there would be nothing to stop the weeds but landing fish would be a breeze.

Im already set up with down east rod holders and a rail system. I'm sure I have lots more questions but let's start with these. Thanks in advance
Todd Georgian
Posted 10/8/2013 9:06 AM (#667422 - in reply to #667412)
Subject: RE: Trolling newbie

Get a copy of musky mike's trolling secrets.
millsie
Posted 10/8/2013 10:25 AM (#667457 - in reply to #667412)
Subject: Re: Trolling newbie

You're making it too complicated. You can get by with your bucktail rod and a selection of crankbaits. Go find the drop off or weed edge and get started. Count the passes of your levelwind for a do it yourself counter. Once you have some success you can get dedicated trolling rods and linecounter reels.
BenR
Posted 10/8/2013 10:41 AM (#667460 - in reply to #667412)

Just remember to loosen the drag of your casting rods before you start to troll:)
Trophyseeker50
Posted 10/8/2013 11:10 AM (#667468 - in reply to #667412)

Lots of questions will get you lots of answers. And probably different in a lot of cases. For me, I bought some relatively cheap rods for trolling. They are 8 foot heavy glass with okuma line counters. Certainly not the best but like you I didn't want to spend a ton, and here in WI we can run 3 each so having 6 set ups adds up quick.
As for line, I run a mix of 100lb power pro and 30 lb big game. I troll Greenbay so do not need to get deep but do run keel weights in front of 4' flouro leaders to catch weeds and get baits down with less line.
I am right handed but use lefty reels for casting so as to not have to switch Hands during the cast. I looked for lefty line counters but didn't find anything in my price range so opted to use righties for trolling. Like I said there are lots of ways to do it but that's how we do it.
Trophyseeker50
Posted 10/8/2013 11:16 AM (#667470 - in reply to #667460)

And don't forget to tighten the drag on your casting rod when done trolling. Lost a big one this year because I didn't.
brianT
Posted 10/8/2013 11:16 AM (#667471 - in reply to #667412)

Thanks for the responses so far. As for using bucktail rods, IMO that's not an option id like to explore. My casting reels do not have clickers and if I'm switching from casting to trolling, switching out different sized leaders would be a pain. My boat has the storage space for extra rods so getting a few dedicated trolling rigs is the easiest solution IMO. I've already caught a few decent fish trolling so I got the bug and I'm ready to give it a serious go. Looks like the okuma convector reels are a good choice and they make a lefty so might go that route.
MuskieCat94
Posted 10/8/2013 11:19 AM (#667472 - in reply to #667471)

I run shimano tdrs ($30 ea) and okuma magdas or convectors.. Not the most expensive rods but the convectors are nice reels for $75
Slamr
Posted 10/8/2013 1:34 PM (#667505 - in reply to #667472)

MuskieCat94 - 10/8/2013 11:19 AM

I run shimano tdrs ($30 ea) and okuma magdas or convectors.. Not the most expensive rods but the convectors are nice reels for $75

Totally agreed on this.

I love trolling.

I love that trolling stuff is so much cheaper than casting stuff!
andreula
Posted 10/8/2013 5:25 PM (#667540 - in reply to #667412)

Brian what was rod reel set up larry uses? I was thinking bout the okum's as they do come in lefty...Sounds like a lot of guys like them. Sealines have given me zero problems thus far but wish they would throw us lefty's a bone!
brianT
Posted 10/8/2013 6:07 PM (#667548 - in reply to #667540)

andreula - 10/8/2013 6:25 PM

Brian what was rod reel set up larry uses? I was thinking bout the okum's as they do come in lefty...Sounds like a lot of guys like them. Sealines have given me zero problems thus far but wish they would throw us lefty's a bone!

Matt - Larry is using St Croix Saltwater trolling rods as he is a member of their pro staff and Penn conventional GT reels with #45 Mason leadcore line. I agree the Okuma's look nice and the Cold Water series looks even nicer. I'm OCDing on those right now lol. I like the Sealines but would prefer a lefty as that's what I'm used to.

I'm looking on ebay right now they have Okuma CW-203RXL for about $95 each. Thinking about pulling the trigger and pairing them up with Shimano TDR rods.
Posted 10/8/2013 6:11 PM (#667549 - in reply to #667412)
Subject: RE: Trolling newbie

I have the 8' heavy tdr shimano trolling rods and love them for the price!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)