Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Net Storage in the boat

Message Subject: Net Storage in the boat
sworrall
Posted 2/5/2003 2:31 PM (#58743)
Subject: Net Storage in the boat

I am currently looking at new floorplan designs for my new 2004 Patriot, and before I set it in stone, would like to know where you have your net in the boat when you are fishing, and traveling on the water. Muskyone drops his over the cowl on his V-6 Mercury, which worked slick as can be.
Sponge
Posted 2/5/2003 2:46 PM (#58749 - in reply to #58743)
Subject: RE: Net Storage in the boat

I stick mine in a PVC rod holder, gets it off the floor and is great for catching butterflies as we head down the lake; got one heck of a collection of these magnificent creatures too I might add... just retrieve them from the net, place between 2 squares of wax paper, gently heat w/ a warm clothing iron and put on display!
If your wife is w/ you, have her put the net over her head, keeps her hair in place, and you can have her scream for help as you pass close by other boats...makes for a fun day on the water, and great way to make new friends! Perhaps this summer I can coax her to sit in the net as I pull her behind the boat...
Otter
Posted 2/5/2003 2:50 PM (#58751 - in reply to #58743)

Luke_Chinewalker
Posted 2/5/2003 6:02 PM (#58796 - in reply to #58743)
Subject: On the front deck

Mine is always in the same place. I lay it on the starboard side of the front deck and let the handle rest between the front seats. I run the starboard front rod strap over the hoop and clip it inbetween the netting.
Jason Smith
Posted 2/5/2003 6:26 PM (#58798 - in reply to #58796)
Subject: RE: On the front deck

My opinion, the net should always have the handle extended, thus I keep mine on the floor of my Tuffy and it lays flat in the middle of the boat. I dont mind stepping on the net, I do mind not having the handle extended when I need it.
davej
Posted 2/5/2003 6:59 PM (#58802 - in reply to #58743)

Flat on the floor with the handle extended.
SteveHulbert
Posted 2/5/2003 7:20 PM (#58809 - in reply to #58743)

Over the motor or samwiched between the front deck and a Lakewood.
Matt Collins
Posted 2/5/2003 7:29 PM (#58814 - in reply to #58743)

I leave mine propped up aginst the gunnel with the handle extended while fishing. when trailering to and fro I throw it over one of the seats and wedge the handle between one of my boxes and the console.
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 2/5/2003 8:12 PM (#58820 - in reply to #58749)

Sponge, which size hoop and net bag size do you recommend for the proper wife restraint?
Steve, when stored, my net bag is always under the rear casting deck of my Magnum. The handle fits under the console. I am the only one that has to deal with it, so to me it isn't in the way.

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 2/5/2003 8:15 PM
Beaver
Posted 2/5/2003 9:36 PM (#58831 - in reply to #58743)

When I fished up on Cass this year during the PMTT, I noticed as the boats paraded past the dock every morning, that almost every boat had the net draped over the cowl of the engine....so I tried it. Works well and keeps the handle readily accesible.
Beav
Sponge
Posted 2/5/2003 9:38 PM (#58832 - in reply to #58743)

Stevester, for restraining purposes, I suggest a throw net, especially if they have a tendency to bolt...for a general purposes, a fresh water trout size net will do to keep their hair in place on a moving vessel. Measure their head, using the excuse that you plan to buy them a new Easter bonnet; this will give you an indication of what type/size net to purchase. Whenever I eat lunch w/ little Sponge, I always try to stick a couple of those hair nets the cafeteria ladies wear in my pocket...they come in handy also. Hope this helps!
sworrall
Posted 2/5/2003 10:51 PM (#58847 - in reply to #58743)

The floor of the boat I am looking at in the rear is over 66" wide under the rear deck. I am considering a bulkhead that will allow about a 6" gap on the starboard side to slide a big net under and TOTALLY out of the way excpet the last few inches of the handle. I think this may work!:O
Mark H.
Posted 2/6/2003 7:06 AM (#58863 - in reply to #58743)

Steve I like that idea...

Quite frankly net storage was a big reason I didn't care for PHII. Seemed like no matter where we had it it was sorta in the way.

When I have fished in tiller style boats I usually had mine over the back of the starboard back corner. or laying flat on the floor...I could care less if the handle is extended or not unless I'm fishing alone.

Running_Hot
Posted 2/6/2003 8:46 AM (#58877 - in reply to #58743)

I am running a single console champion. I leave the net extended up against the passenger side gunnel. Put the bait box up next to it and it doesnt move.

MossFrog
Posted 2/6/2003 9:05 AM (#58879 - in reply to #58877)

Steve,
Under the rear casting desk is exactly where I keep mine. Out of the way but still with easy access.

MossFrog
GMan
Posted 2/6/2003 10:53 AM (#58889 - in reply to #58743)

Why the heck can't the boat manufacturers design a slot in the floor or something for these? I saw a Stratos bass boat with a slot in the rear for a small net, but it seems we could improve on that quite a bit.
MuskyPippo
Posted 2/6/2003 5:02 PM (#58940 - in reply to #58743)

When casting I keep my net under the removable casting deck, when I troll I keep the net up in the front bow.

When I run I usually will keep it either on the side of the passenger console or underneath the deck.

My though would be a slot on the side of either console (obviously on console models) that is just wide enough to let the net sit in with the handle extended.

-Phil
Worm Drowner
Posted 2/6/2003 6:00 PM (#58947 - in reply to #58743)

The best set up I've seen is Fishman's. Artie has his along the side of the boat but out of the water. It's held in place with two brackets with rubber straps. It's a snap to undo and stays out of the way when not in use.
ghoti
Posted 2/6/2003 7:47 PM (#58961 - in reply to #58743)

I keep the extended handle snapped into a rubber clipped holder mounted on the port side. The hoop is vertical, snug alongside my livewell, leaving the floor less cluttered, for those occasional dances aroud the boat.
Jomusky
Posted 2/6/2003 10:32 PM (#58987 - in reply to #58961)

I run a Stratos Pro201. I keep the net, handle extended once on the water, sandwiched behind the driving seats. I also believe that net storage on most boats is a big problem. It is sad that some people have to have smaller then desireable nets due to boat constraints.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)