Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Minnesota Lead Ban

Message Subject: Minnesota Lead Ban
Beaver
Posted 2/3/2003 12:23 PM (#58327)
Subject: Minnesota Lead Ban

I read this on another board and figured we better get the heads up here too.
Minnesota is proposing a ban on lead sinkers and all fishing lures and tackle that contain lead. Meaning basicly just about everything that we throw. Some states have already banned the use of lead sinkers, but this goes further and includes all lures containing lead....bucktails, weighted jerks, Bulldawgs....you name it. There is concern for birds eating the sinkers, this much can actually be almost believable, but all lures containing lead? This seems to be anti-fishing legislation in the guise of enviromental protection. Time to speak up boys or bad things can and will happen.
Ironicly, there is little concern that 75% of the services that provide water to our houses are made out of lead.
Don't let Minnesota turn into a state like California where everything is overdone and overprotected.
Beav
Beaver
Posted 2/3/2003 9:38 PM (#58428 - in reply to #58327)
Subject: RE: Minnesota Lead Ban

TTT
This is important.
lpeitso
Posted 2/4/2003 8:21 AM (#58478 - in reply to #58428)

Beav,

I already had a post up here with the bill, and links to the Senate, and house. I will bring it to the top again. Is there anyway we can get these 2 posts combined?

Lance
Beaver
Posted 2/4/2003 8:27 AM (#58481 - in reply to #58327)

Do the links have e-addresses of the politicians so we can voice our opinion? Even snail mail addresses would be good.
Beav
lpeitso
Posted 2/4/2003 8:30 AM (#58484 - in reply to #58478)

S.F No. 23, as introduced: 83rd Legislative Session (2003-2004) Posted on Jan 8, 2003
1.1 A bill for an act
1.2 relating to game and fish; prohibiting the sale and
1.3 use of lead sinkers; proposing coding for new law in
1.4 Minnesota Statutes, chapter 97C.
1.5 BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:
1.6 Section 1. 1.7 PROHIBITED.]
1.8 An angler may not use a lead sinker to take fish on any
1.9 waters lying wholly within the state or any portion of boundary
1.10 waters within the jurisdiction of the state. A person may not
1.11 sell or offer to sell a lead sinker in the state. For purposes
1.12 of this section, "lead sinker" means a device that:
1.13 (1) contains lead;
1.14 (2) weighs one ounce or less;
1.15 (3) is designed to be attached to a fishing line; and
1.16 (4) is intended to sink the fishing line.

This is straight off the senate web page. Show this to the walleye guys. Every jig in their box would be illegal if it is lead. All the bass guys too. Also ice fishing jigs fall into this category. Spread the word. It is also in the house now under HF0192. I already emailed my representatives.

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/ and http://www.senate.mn/

Edited by lpeitso 2/4/2003 8:32 AM
mikie
Posted 2/4/2003 10:27 AM (#58509 - in reply to #58327)

Hey, Beav, I know what you're saying, but the comment on the lead lines is not quite on-point. Lead in drinking water is of concern, and although most communities have replaced the few lead service lines they may have had, lead remains a concern due to lead solder of copper pipes. Communities throughout the US are required to monitor lead concentrations in drinking water in their customers' homes and businesses, and take actions to treat the water to make it less 'agressive' in dissolving lead when problems are found.
Lead is a bad actor in the environment, change will not happen overnight, but several substitutes are out there if people will just use them. Regulators are not looking to protect bees and butterflies, but humans, especially kids, who eat waterfowl and fish that have consumed lead. The pain of change was felt by paint manufacturers years ago, now its our turn. I hope that helps, m
Beaver
Posted 2/4/2003 11:43 AM (#58523 - in reply to #58509)

I know, I work for the water department here where I live. The thing that gets me is that people are willing to try to draft a bill regarding lead in our lakes, but those same people are probably unaware that the water coming to their house may be coming from a lead line. Over half of the service lines here in town are still lead.
First it was lead shot, and I must say that I was an avid duck hunter at the time. My nephew was working for the Dept of the Interior at the time, so we did our own study and we were amazed by the amount of lead pellets that we found in gizzards.
I can see that people feel that there is a need to get lead out of our waters. But the language that this bill contains goes way beyond protecting birds. I can't see a loon diving down and finding a bucktail or weighted glider and eating the lead out of it, but according to the language, anything with lead in it would be illegal.
The way it's worded, it's a threat to all muskie fishermen and lure manufacturers.
Beav
mikie
Posted 2/4/2003 1:27 PM (#58546 - in reply to #58327)

Beav - I agree: the devil, most times, is in the details. best wishes to you! m
Beaver
Posted 2/4/2003 3:38 PM (#58564 - in reply to #58546)

I fired off e-mails to every MN Rep and Senator today. Got auto-responses from a few, but was shocked to get a couple that just said..."I oppose the bill. Thank you for writing."
Beav
Muskie Treats
Posted 2/5/2003 10:53 AM (#58705 - in reply to #58564)

I spoke with Frank Schnider last night at our MI Board meeting and he said the Sen. would be discussing this in commity today. We should have some info here soon.

He also said that the same bill in the House will most likely get shot down. The opposition from the masses (us) has been strong, and the lack of good science is fairly evident. If you haven't already, please email your house rep and sen with your opposition to this piece of legislation.
Beaver
Posted 2/5/2003 6:52 PM (#58801 - in reply to #58327)

I received an e-mail from Rep Tom Hackbarth today. He said not to worry, that the bill won't make it.
Beav
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)