Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Rod/reel pairing and Line questions

Message Subject: Rod/reel pairing and Line questions
timhutson1
Posted 9/2/2013 10:28 AM (#660868)
Subject: Rod/reel pairing and Line questions

I am getting ready to buy new line for my outfits and have a few questions since I am new to musky fishing. Currently I have 4 reels and 4 rods that I am taking on a trip to St. Clair in 2 weeks then LOTW next July. This is how I was planning on pairing them:

St. Croix premier 7'6" MH + Calcutta 300D + No Line: small lures, all types

St. Croix premier 7'6" H + Calcutta 400D + No Line: Mainly Jerkbait/suicks + med sized all around

TI 9' telescopic rod XH + Calcutta 400 TE w/ power handle + slightly used 65# power pro: All around Larger baits; plastics up to 8 oz.

TI 9' telescopic rod XH + Tranx PG + No line: Large DCG's and double 13's pretty much exclusively

1. Would you all change the pairing or the applications of the set ups?

2. I was planning on moving the 65# PP over to the 300D set up and buying new Cortland Masterbraid for the others. Currently thinking 80# for all the others. Any input on this?

3. Should I be able to spool up all three with two 300 yard spools? Maybe split one for the 400D and 400TE and use the other for the Tranx? Back all with a bunch of similar sized mono.
muskie! nut
Posted 9/2/2013 10:44 AM (#660872 - in reply to #660868)
Subject: Re: Rod/reel pairing and Line questions

1) No
2) That sound like a good plan
3) This sounds better as if you are going to troll on Lake St Clair, I would prefer having more line on the spool than for casting. Maybe think about putting 100 on the Tranx? Just depends on what you are tossing with it. I like the extra `safe' factor when chucking big blades, big rubber, or 12"+ cranks that 100 lb provides
timhutson1
Posted 9/2/2013 12:20 PM (#660885 - in reply to #660872)

Thanks; I will be casting on St. Clair. The trip is as much to try out our new equipment and get things some more experience working our lures as it is to get fish.

So if I understand right; then you are saying that for casting I should think about doing 100# on the tranx (use that for large plastics as well) but the other rods would work out with 80#.

Now I also read that because the tranx doesn't cast as well with large line due to the disengaging levelwind. Do you think it would decrease my distance by going to 100#.

I guess that brings up another questions for me. What would be the min amount of braid you would make sure you can fit on the reel? 100 yards? The 300D might be hard to fit backing plus 100 yards of 65# on it.
BenR
Posted 9/2/2013 12:34 PM (#660888 - in reply to #660868)

The 300D with no backing, just some electrical tape around the spool held 150 yards of 65llb power pro slick 8, so it holds more than advertised. Should be no issue getting 100 yards with backing. BR
muskyhunter47
Posted 9/2/2013 4:22 PM (#660911 - in reply to #660888)

I run 80# on every reel except my trolling rods and my pounder set up.Those I run 100# if you send me your e mail I can send you some spots to fish
NOFEAR
Posted 9/2/2013 7:31 PM (#660935 - in reply to #660868)

The only change i would personally try is using the 300 D for jerkbaits, twitch baits and gliders. The faster line pick on the 300d would be to your advantage for that application.

Thats just me for what its worth?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)