Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Gear ratio's and different reels

Message Subject: Gear ratio's and different reels
dami0101
Posted 8/29/2013 11:52 AM (#660305)
Subject: Gear ratio's and different reels

Is it possible for reels to have similar gear ratio's but one has better cranking power? I've cast the same willow leaf sinner bait on a Abu BCX 6600, C3 5500, and 400B, the Abu's are 5.3:1 and the 400B 5.0:1, and I can really tell the difference between reels, which doesn't make much sense to me. I get that the 400B sould be easier than the other two, but surprisingly I found the BCX brought the spinner in with less resistance than the C3 even though they have the same gear ratio.
Posted 8/29/2013 12:02 PM (#660306 - in reply to #660305)
Subject: RE: Gear ratio's and different reels

this is a pretty complex question (to me anyhoo). I think the three main factors involved are the gears themselves (ratio 5.6:1 etc) but equally the diameter of the spool and the length of the reel's handle.

Gear ratio and handle length are easy to learn on a website, but spool diameter is not widely advertised by the companies. Also, on smaller spools, the diameeter changes as you cast and retrieve (and spool level drops and rises)

big spools that hold tons of line don't change as much during cast

others on this board can explain it a lot better

be graeat of someone could give spool diamters for a bunch of reels. that's the missing bit of info needed to assess "cranking power" ????
anzomcik
Posted 8/29/2013 7:48 PM (#660367 - in reply to #660305)
Subject: Re: Gear ratio's and different reels

Spool dia, and I may be mistaken, is advertised mostly on the bass market. My buddy who is a big bass guy says it is so the reel with the largest spool (meaning biggest dia) will hold the least amount of line but the line that is laying on the spool still has a larger circumference. He says those reels are for flipping jigs. The reason is the lighter the spool is the easier it is for the energy from the cast to get the spool to spin, and with the circumference being larger the less the spool needs to spin to pay out line for the cast. This will make the cast go further.

Ok, with all that said, this isn't bass fishing so you can forget all of that above. Here is the deal Guest explained almost all of the equation very well. But I will pick up the spool dia part here in musky terms. because we are not flipping 1/8 oz jigs, we are throwing 6 oz gliders, and we have plenty of energy on our casts to get our spools to spin with out issue.

The Dia. you are concerned with is the dia of the spool with all the line on it, not an empty spool. Please keep in mind the dia of the spool with line on it will change when you cast and reel in.

Sp pretend you have a spool dia of 3 inches (all the line on it and your about to cast) You cast the bait on a long bomb, and the bait hits the water. You measure the spool dia and its now 1.5 inches. The spool is now 1/2 the dia. when you started. So if your reel would pull in 30 inches of line per complete revolution of the handle with a full spool (the 3 inch dia) it would not at the very end of your bomb cast. Since the spool is now 1/2 the reel will pull in 15 inches per complete revolution.

The line pick up will get greater from 15" IPT all the way up to 30" IPT when you get your bait to the boat.

You can make a Fast reel be a slower reel by simply not filling up the spool all the way.

If you want reel life evidence try this next time your filling your reel with line. Get the reel started with line and put a piece of tape on the line some distance from the reel, measure that distance, do one complete 360 degree turn on the reel handle, then measure the distance of the tape to the reel again, subtract the 2 numbers and u have the IPT (inchs per turn).

Keep filling the reel to where its almost full, and do the test again. You IPT will be greater.

Some reels will have a big difference other not as much. A wider spool that shallower will be less effected as a narrow spool that's deep.

Make sense?
Posted 8/29/2013 8:52 PM (#660384 - in reply to #660305)
Subject: RE: Gear ratio's and different reels

dami0101 - 8/29/2013 11:52 AM
I found the BCX brought the spinner in with less resistance than the C3 even though they have the same gear ratio.

BCX and C3 same full-spool diameter? prob

handles same length? prob

both spools full, with same dia. line? if BCX only half full, there's your answer

5500 spool narrower than BCX so holds less line and spool level drops faster than 6600, but this should make it feel easier to crank at the outer end of a cast, opposite to what you felt

compared on same rod? this might make a difference to how a bait retrieve "feels"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)