Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> size limit resolution dead! PLEASE READ!!

Message Subject: size limit resolution dead! PLEASE READ!!

Posted 1/30/2003 6:55 PM (#4400)
Subject: size limit resolution dead! PLEASE READ!!

I hope you are sitting down for this, as I wish I would have been before my winter was just ruined.

For those of you who may not remember, I wrote a resolution last spring that proposed raising the size limit on muskies from 34" to 45" on the Wisconsin river from stevens Point down through petenwell. Others and myself worked diligently and got support from virtually all affected businesses and chambers, and took it to the hearings last spring where it passed by a huge majority. Wood Co alone was like 500+ to 3 or 4. I was eccstatic to say the least that we were on our way to a statewide vote this spring.

Scott Ironside, head of our local fisheries, called and left a message today. He called to see how my resolution was doing. The conservation congress(which he told me to make sure I not confuse with the DNR in any way) had not even seen it at their state meeting. The warm water committee which was supposed to take it up, would not even discuss the proposal and would not even take it to the meeting for a vote!!! Someone in the committe killed it after the residents in the four affected counties passed it wholeheartedly. The resolution would only affect those counties and the businesses who also supported it. Scott had a good comment at the end of his message as he was very upset as well(not nearly upset as I though) when he said "That is our democracy for you, special interests prevail".

I'd like to know why this happened, and if any of you would like to help me get to the bottom of it, I'd really appreciate it. I spoke for all the size limit issues that came up at our meeting this spring(I brought up the Chip. proposal so it could be voted on and passed), and hope that something can be done. I'd like to know how this didn't make it to this years hearings where it would have the chance at a statewide vote, after we already passed it locally. We worked too hard to get this thing passed by our citizens(like it did) to have one or two people in a committe neix it.

AAAAAAAAARGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Thanks much,

Jason D. Schillinger
[email protected]

Posted 1/30/2003 9:35 PM (#58005)

Jason, sorry to hear the bad news. It sucks when you dot all the i's and cross all the t's, and then lose for who knows why? I sure hope you can find out why. Keep us updated. [:((]

Posted 1/30/2003 10:17 PM (#58006)

Can people be voted out of the congress? We need to find out who is not in favor and get the word out. Jason, keep up your hard work, it will pay off eventually. Just look at the two trophies you got this year, one being female of course![;)]

Posted 1/30/2003 10:17 PM (#58007)

A number of years ago Muskies Inc. pushed to have the size limit raised across the state to 40". It passed the spring
hearings by huge margines! The program was killed by "ONE" individual on the state board.
Remember last April when I posted to announce the Milwaukee
Chapter of Muskies Inc.'s fundraiser which was on the same night as the hearings. I restated what had happened to our 40" program after the votes at the hearings in previous years. I was nearly burned at the stake for suggesting to do something other than go to the meetings.
now maybe you can see why I and many others are so disheartened by these votes
[:blackeye:] [:blackeye:] ........All our best intentions
down the drain...[:praise:] All we can seem to do is preach and practice Catch & Release, eventually the average size may increase anyway.

Posted 1/31/2003 7:58 AM (#58008)

Jason,
What a horsecrap deal. This just illustrates how screwed up our fisheries management is. Why can't they just let the guys that are educated in the field make the decisions and keep the God forsaken politics out of it.

It also shows how important it is to voice our opinions on these issues through letters to the appropriate people and attending every meeting on the subject. Its hard enough to get things done when you work your tail off to achieve it, nothing will get done if we sit on our hands. [:blackeye:]

Posted 1/31/2003 8:18 AM (#58009)

Is there any way to find out who voted which way?The Conservation Congress is supposedly responsible to the Public and may have to print minutes and/or reccord their votes. Publicity via radio,television,print etc will usually put pressure on special interest groups acting contary to the wishes of their constituents.
In other words lets shine a light down this rathole!!If I can help in any way let me know

Posted 1/31/2003 8:36 AM (#58010)

I was the one who submitted Ty Sennett's 40 state wide proposal in Outagamie County which in a letter I received afterwards from the congress said it passed. The letter also said that I would be notified of the proceedings to follow regarding the issue. I haven't got anything.

I would also be very interested in helping with this issue. Please feel free to contact me at [email protected] if I can be of any help.

Posted 1/31/2003 1:09 PM (#58011)

Thanks for the support everyone. I'd like to set a precedent here and send a letter to the person(s) who made this happen. I now have names of the warm water committee and am in the process of searching out the ones who threw this out. I will then write a letter and will ask if some of you will do the same. If we flood these people with response, maybe they will listen. I don't know.

Posted 1/31/2003 1:24 PM (#58012)

Send me the letter and the address when you have it ready, Jason.

Jono

Posted 1/31/2003 1:55 PM (#58013)

here is an email I received.

Feel free to call and rattle cage as I will do immediately after this post.

Dear Mr. Schillinger:

Thank you for your interest in Wisconsin's fishery resources and for your
inquiry regarding a local resolution you submitted to the Conservation
Congress last spring. First of all, I applaud your effort and dedication.
Efforts such as yours have led to many positive impacts on Wisconsin
fisheries. I encourage you to remain positive and active.

I am copying Al Phelan, who is the Department liaison to the Wisconsin
Conservation Congress, so that he can clarify the process and what happened
to your resolution to increase the muskellunge minimum length from 34" to
35" on the Wisconsin River from Stevens Point downstream through Petenwell
Flowage.

I attended both the Warmwater Committee and Executive Council meetings of
the Conservation Congress this past fall and winter. Your resolution was
acted on by the Warmwater Committee. They forwarded the resolution to the
Executive Council, but it did not make it through the Executive Council.

The Conservation Congress is a citizen advisory board to our Natural
Resources Board (who actually make our rules) and I do not know the details
behind your resolution not moving forward. I spoke with Al Phelan this
morning and he suggested that you call or email him. His number is:
608-266-0580.

Thanks again and good luck.

Patrick Schmalz
Warmwater Lakes and Regulations
Bureau of Fisheries Management and Habitat Protection
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
FH/3, 101 S. Webster St.
Madison, WI 53707
608-266-8170 - phone
608-266-2244 -

Posted 1/31/2003 4:14 PM (#58014)

Dear Mr. Vanlieshout,
I gave up going to the spring meetings along time ago. The individuals on the governing board do what they want to do. The politics and veto power is unbelievable. When is this state going to wake up! People are going to MN and Canada just to up their chances for their trophy fish. Maybe this new governor will make a difference.

dhbuc
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/4/2003 12:16 PM (#58531 - in reply to #58014)
Subject: RE: size limit resolution dead! PLEASE READ!!

Talked with my local fisheries biologist(Scott Ironside) yesterday morning. He is very supportive of this and wants to help in any way he can. He will be conducting scientific surveys this spring on the pike and muskies in the river(fyke netting, creel survey, etc) and plans to bring my resolution as a rule change at next years hearings. I'm glad we have a biologist who beleives in what is right for the fishery down here!!! He also gave me the name and address(so did Steve H. earlier) of the chairman of the executive committee(this committee nixed my resolution) so we can write a letter if we choose(be diplomatic). I still don't know the actual individuals who nixed it, but instead of writing 24 letters, will send one to the chair. I plan to write a letter immediately and others can do the same if they so wish.

Steve Oestreicher
8475 Oneida Lake Dr.
Harshaw, WI 54429
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)