Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Open seat or recommendation?

Message Subject: Open seat or recommendation?
JoelBelmont
Posted 8/20/2013 11:03 AM (#658367)
Subject: Open seat or recommendation?

I've been bitten by the musky bug and have fished hard for them - and still have yet to get one to bite (never heard that one, right?). I've had lots of follows from large musky - especially in the clearer waters of Tonka. I've caught lots of decent pike (mid to high 30's fish in BWCA - even a 42" railroad tie in Colorado).

I'm planning on fishing tomorrow (full moon/Wednesday) either in my boat - or if someone else has an open seat and usually does well - I'm happy to chip in for fuel.

I'd just love to get my first one - for all the Saric books I've meticulously studied - all the musky hunter articles I've poured over - and all the hours I've put in pounding away on the water.

Thanks for any lake recommendations between Cambridge and the twin cities, or anyone that has an open seat and could help me connect with my first fish.

PS - I'm 35, two kids - and have been fishing incessantly since I was 3.
muskie! nut
Posted 8/20/2013 2:34 PM (#658426 - in reply to #658367)
Subject: RE: Open seat or recommendation?

JoelBelmont - 8/20/2013 11:03 AM

even a 42" railroad tie in Colorado).

I know a guy that caught & released a 4X8 sheet of plywood on Lake Monona

Got Wood?????
happy hooker
Posted 8/20/2013 2:48 PM (#658433 - in reply to #658367)

Think about the Twin Cities Chapter or North Metro chapter of muskies inc both have summer/fall fishing leagues and meetings start up again in September,,TC has Tony Grant who will talk about the St Croix,,,good way to meet boat partners,,,Has far has catching one If somebody offered me a million bucks to produce a metro fish Id take them to Independensce and put the trolling motor down and go around the whole lake in 10 ft casting to shore always fish there,,phantoms small bucktails burned fast!
If youve had a bunch of follows could be your figure 8 needs tweeking ,,never slow down and go VERY fast in 8 for hard pressured metro fish

Edited by happy hooker 8/20/2013 2:55 PM
FAT-SKI
Posted 8/20/2013 3:08 PM (#658437 - in reply to #658433)

sent you a PM
JoelBelmont
Posted 8/20/2013 7:26 PM (#658492 - in reply to #658433)

happy hooker - 8/20/2013 2:48 PM

Think about the Twin Cities Chapter or North Metro chapter of muskies inc both have summer/fall fishing leagues and meetings start up again in September,,TC has Tony Grant who will talk about the St Croix,,,good way to meet boat partners,,,Has far has catching one If somebody offered me a million bucks to produce a metro fish Id take them to Independensce and put the trolling motor down and go around the whole lake in 10 ft casting to shore always fish there,,phantoms small bucktails burned fast!
If youve had a bunch of follows could be your figure 8 needs tweeking ,,never slow down and go VERY fast in 8 for hard pressured metro fish

Thanks for the great advice! I think my problem (using twin 10's) is going too slow with them. Get's their interest - but not their reaction. My 8 probably does need tweaking. Another issue is I would fish shallow reefs with the boat on the reef, pulling fish off the edges. I think it would be better to be over deeper water - and pull them that way... they would probably be less spooky in clear water if they had an escape route below them.

I'll send you a PM - and again - I really appreciate the advice.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)