Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Presque Isle Lake/ Van Vliet

Message Subject: Presque Isle Lake/ Van Vliet
dward
Posted 8/16/2013 3:20 PM (#657768)
Subject: Presque Isle Lake/ Van Vliet

Hi guys:

I will be up fishing in Vilas at end of the month and staying on this chain. I have done fine the last few years on Van Vliet for Perch, Northern, Muskie, but can't seem to figure out Presque Isle.... Granted I haven't spent as much time on it, and I know it isn't a big #'s lake, but it seems to me I should be able to find some Walleyes, Smallmouths, and Muskie.... Is it worth my time fishing the bars (seem to mostly be 20-30' depths) or do I need to work even deeper ( heard a lot about 40' ranges). but then do I work those depths near the bars are elsewhere on the lake?

Any help would be appreciated!
MUSKYLUND1
Posted 8/17/2013 8:22 PM (#657990 - in reply to #657768)
Subject: RE: Presque Isle Lake/ Van Vliet

I've fished Van Vliet a couple of times and had musky action. I have not fished Presque Isle, but I recall that Howie Meyer said that his magic depth on Presque Isle was between 25' and 35' feet. I seem to recall that he mainly fished those deep bars and did not even bother trying to fish weeds. Howie Meyer used to be one of the top Muskie guides in the Presque Isle area, but is now retired. He was one of my favorite seminar speakers.
esox911
Posted 8/17/2013 8:29 PM (#657992 - in reply to #657990)
Subject: RE: Presque Isle Lake/ Van Vliet

I fished out there many times over the years. YES Presque Isle would be a deep action lake----we fished the rock bars in summer and Fall and seemed to do well in that 20-25 ft range. Nice Clear water--especially in the fall---Fish would come up for even jerk baits running in the 3-6 ft deep range. Nice fish out there---not many--but above average size that's for sure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)