Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> How to give back?

Message Subject: How to give back?
CustomX
Posted 8/15/2013 1:44 PM (#657565)
Subject: How to give back?

With the ever changing economy, costs going up, and less money in the American public pockets as a whole, its hard to get everything you want or for that matter need in this world. As a manufacturer I try and give back to my clients with giveaways and promotions. I see that a lot of others doing it as well including the retailers. My questions is this: As a buyer what types of things motivate you to buy and what types of promotions are perceived the best?
jonnysled
Posted 8/15/2013 1:50 PM (#657568 - in reply to #657565)
Subject: Re: How to give back?

many companies have placed policies within handbooks that do not allow accepting give-aways so i have pretty much signed them off. i'm sure it's hurt the market in the promotions business. the days of business lunches and golf afternoon and/or junkets are long gone.

i try to get my business customers into my boat. this way they don't feel they are either being bought or going against any of their policies. it's a great place for a captive audience and a real relationship to build. last year i built a nice ice-shack and have a few times booked with clients ... also can just provide it to them for their own use and like that too.

when we get them to visit our operations, that's when we can really have some fun ... based on where it is located. when we did do "giveaways" they were bucktails with our company colors and our logo on a blade. i had them made by musky safari tackle and they were a huge hit for visitors fishermen/women or not.
ToddM
Posted 8/15/2013 2:00 PM (#657571 - in reply to #657565)

getting involved with musky clubs. donations, support of any kind. you guys are from yorkville right? there is a club a few miles from you.
Tim R
Posted 8/15/2013 2:14 PM (#657574 - in reply to #657565)

Made in North America in BIG LETTERS !!!! Its the first thing I look for when comparing products.
Flambeauski
Posted 8/15/2013 2:21 PM (#657577 - in reply to #657565)

Are you talking wholesaling or retailing? Giving your retailers discounts for large orders and more time to pay is huge. As far as factory direct sales, cash rebates or discounts on their next purchase is big too. Let's face it, every store on the planet gives you a free hat or shirt with your purchase, free shipping is almost becoming a given too. Giving 20% off their next purchase or 20-50 bucks off is even bigger in the consumer's eyes.
Posted 8/15/2013 2:37 PM (#657579 - in reply to #657565)
Subject: RE: How to give back?

Stickers! Win - win situation...
byteme90k
Posted 8/15/2013 3:27 PM (#657587 - in reply to #657565)

As a retail buyer I think a good active, online presence helps as well as unprompted excellent customer testimonials.
JOHN FALLON
Posted 8/15/2013 5:15 PM (#657597 - in reply to #657565)

How about not charging 60 bucks for a crainkbait !!!!!!
CustomX
Posted 8/15/2013 5:55 PM (#657608 - in reply to #657597)

To the last post. I take a lot of pride in what I make. Should you ever want to learn how to make a quality wood musky lure I would invite you to my shop. Maybe then you would not post something before you actually have an idea as to the time and effort put into that lure. I should be charging double. Same with any one else that is making wood cranks over 12". Too much time, effort, and cost go in. I make them because I love it and it makes me happy to see people catch fish on them and send me pictures smiling.

This post was supposed to be something to help manufacturers and retailers so we could take some notes on what the public thinks and would like to see from time to time.

Edited by CustomX 8/15/2013 6:35 PM
Musk E
Posted 8/15/2013 7:15 PM (#657619 - in reply to #657565)

I think JOHN FALLON makes a good point. Price is probably a huge key/factor to a lot of people. I buy from TI because James puts out products that have done very well, for me at least, at an affordable price (I'm not rich like some of you guys!!!). I can't afford to drop $60 on a crankbait...unless someone can give me rock solid proof it will consistently outproduce a $15 one, which I have yet to see.
CustomX
Posted 8/15/2013 7:24 PM (#657620 - in reply to #657619)

Musk e I sure can appreciate your thoughts and I think James does a great job with price point products. But they are much different than hand made wood lures that are made here in the USA. I offer many different kinds of products that are not all $60.00 lures. In fact if you go here you can read about my latest news.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=88...

Also, people that make 60.00 crank baits are not selling a ton of them. They are for select situations and people that want a custom product that is crafted to their specifications. There are plenty of manufacturers like me that have multiple products and some are more expensive then others. I guess in the long run you have to buy whats best for you and your needs.

Again just looking for simple comments that manufacturers and retails can use to provide a better consumer buying experience.

Edited by CustomX 8/15/2013 7:26 PM
muskyhunter47
Posted 8/15/2013 7:35 PM (#657621 - in reply to #657619)

it comes down to price. I wanted some head locks but at 75 bucks a crack that is crazy. i waited for a 20% off sale. I buy a few baits during the year. but when thorn bros has there spring sale I go nuts. this year bought some custom x baits and 2 head locks new pounders .musky fishing is expensive I try to hold off for a sale get more for your money. I try and put away 10 bucks a week so when there is a sale I have some spending money.and it don't hurt as bad when I spend 600 bucks.
Brad P
Posted 8/15/2013 7:43 PM (#657622 - in reply to #657565)

Discounts for repeat business are nice. Facebook deals. Etc.

One idea is doing a series of videos showing effective patterns for your lures. I had a small samplying of your baits to troll with this year, but then I went with a guide and learned two effective patterns for your baits. Now I own several more. That is one data point, but I was much more willing to buy when I had some confidence in how to use your stuff effectively. The challenge with this is that what works on say LSC may not be as effective (or possible) in the TC Metro.
CustomX
Posted 8/15/2013 8:41 PM (#657639 - in reply to #657565)

Now we are getting some where. I try and do that kind of stuff on Facebook and here also. Posting little messages about free lures and I have given away 3 rods free too. Thorne Brothers has a great annual sale at 20% off in April. I go every year to promote my lures as well as helping people find other lures that they need help with. Its a great way to show clients that we appreciate their support!!!! Also, deals at the shows. Alot of us try and do that to make the show season worth while for all of you to come out.

Thanks for all your support and I will take all of your replies into consideration.

Chuck
Custom X Lures and Rods
muskyhunter47
Posted 8/15/2013 9:04 PM (#657644 - in reply to #657565)

you had some great colors last year at thorn bros sale .I all most bought one of your one of 5 custom baits but I would have only used it.i cant buy a bait and just look at it.i know some baits are like art.my kind of art but I would still have to use it
northernmn
Posted 8/15/2013 9:28 PM (#657651 - in reply to #657565)

A big one for me is standing behind your product. I have had a few manufacturer defects from a large muskie lure producer and they have been prompt in responding to and fixing my issues. They will get my business and recommendations because of it.
CustomX
Posted 8/15/2013 9:33 PM (#657652 - in reply to #657651)

That is a great point!! NorthernMN
Emptynet
Posted 8/15/2013 10:40 PM (#657663 - in reply to #657565)

Last Sept my son & I participated in the youth musky hunt on Moose lake. Chuck had a lure for each of the 58 (I believe) kids fishing the outing. A generous offer like this gets a lure maker my business. Top quality handcrafted lures are not cheap, but they are well worth the money.
JOHN FALLON
Posted 8/16/2013 9:41 AM (#657717 - in reply to #657565)

Custom x you asked a question and I gave you an honest opinion. I have seen what goes into these lures. I have been to tony spickers on more than one occasion and seen him work on these lures so I have seen what goes into it and it is one hell of a process. But 12 inch big games never came close to that price . I think your scubas are great ,I seen a nice fish put in the boat the other night by my partner on one . I can afford the 60 dollar bait , but for the money I will go with the BOSS shad or SLAMMER crainkbait for less than half the price . Again that is just my opinion.
CustomX
Posted 8/16/2013 9:54 AM (#657718 - in reply to #657717)

John, I respect your opinion. But I do not have a scuba diver. Tony Spicker and I are not partners. My 12" Magnum X retail at 34.99 at Thorne Brothers Completely hand made from wood. Compare that to 13" Grandma and 14" Jake that are made in plastic for more money. Boss Shads are 5 inch baits and slammers are plastic. We are not talking about 60.00 lures here. My 16" lure is made from western red cedar boards that have no knots and very tight grain. Through wire construction and 3 coats of epoxy. That 16" lure sell for 49.99 at Thornes so I don't even have a lure that retail for 60.00.

For my latest news on my three smaller lures that will be more competitive in the market place see this link:

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=88...

All I am asking here is that you compare apples with apples. Not plastic to wood. If you would be willing to try out my new line of lures in the High Impact Plastic just give me a call. I would welcome you to compare. Thanks.
lpeitso
Posted 8/16/2013 10:16 AM (#657723 - in reply to #657565)

Chuck,

I talked to you for a while at Thorne’s sale in the spring, and ended up purchasing an 8 inch Cisco crankbait. I like the action on that lure, but haven’t been able to fish that much this summer, due to family commitments. I like the fact that you will do some custom paint jobs beyond your stock colors. The best thing you can do as a manufacturer to promote your product, and reward customer loyalty is to do what you are doing. You saw an issue with your smaller wood products, and you addressed it by changing to resin. You ask your customer base for help, and you are getting it. You as a Manufacturer have to be careful of what you do on your site as far as prices go. If you start to offer your products below the MSRP you tell your dealer’s, the dealers might get upset. Things you can do are to offer small batches of custom colors, or buy so many, and get one free. The limited give a ways are also nice. I would love to own one of your fishing rods, but with twins in traveling sports, and one starting college it may be a while. I just dropped $870 for fall softball, 3 on 3 basketball league, and registering my daughters for traveling basketball. I know that quality rods are worth it, and maybe someday I will own something better. I like what you have done recently for some of your customers offering to help try to sell rods they ordered, but decided they needed something different.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Lance Peitso
CustomX
Posted 8/16/2013 10:17 AM (#657724 - in reply to #657723)

Thank you Lance. Much appreciated and thanks for your business too!!!!

Tim R
Posted 8/16/2013 10:55 AM (#657735 - in reply to #657565)

My personal opinion is that in this day and age of so many marketing options...nothing touches a customer more and or creates brand loyalty more than the personal touch. Every business designates a portion of sales to marketing. Its business 101. For your market, I would think you would be better served doing a range of shows across North America where you can interact with customers and create a brand loyalty that will last for years. Offering discounts is like being addicted to crack. You become reliant on discounts with lower returns to keep your business afloat.

Case in point. I went to the Muskie Odyssey in Ontario and bought baits from some really cool vendors. I have my friends into them now, and will likely continue to buy these baits for many years. If I walked through Bass Pro and the 4 aisles of muskie baits, I wouldn't have even noticed these baits regardless of cost or discount.
You are in a specialized market. Competing against MacDonalds isn't your thing. If you aren't pricing for profit, you're working for free.
The great things about these shows is you pay your costs from event sales, so you win on both levels. Marketing that makes money.

Edited by Tim R 8/16/2013 10:58 AM
bturg
Posted 8/16/2013 11:22 AM (#657739 - in reply to #657565)

Quality costs, thats how it is... hand made quality even more so.

There will always be cheap knock offs and poorly made gear available...and for some people that is what they seek and are happy with. The best stuff over-performs over time, holds up better and in many cases actually costs less to own over it's life time.

For some people the best stuff is out of reach or they cannot justify the expense up front. So there will always be a market for lower end gear...and for some folks thats all they need or want. It's great that they can get outfited at a more modest cost as well.

Once you have used the usually higher priced and better components to a complete fishing set-up it is hard to go back and use cheap stuff...there is a difference. There is a reason top-line athletes in every sport strive to have the lates and greatest gear...because it gives them an edge. Recreational users may actually benefit more on a percentage basis than the "pros" from high end gear...lighter and more responsive rods for example.

Giving back... a few donations to the right causes withing the fishing world are always a good idea. But ultimatly... keep making top grade lures...descerning people will always pay a bit for for the best. And to make the best you have to charge a bit more...or you go broke doing it. Then the cool stuff isn't available anymore

You "give back" every time a person's day is made catching the beast on one of your creations.

BT
jasond
Posted 8/16/2013 11:53 AM (#657741 - in reply to #657739)

I think that the quality of the product has to be the top priority as others have stated. On the question of how to give back i would say that donations to musky clubs, raffles, kids events, etc go a long ways towards a positive impression on your product from the perspective of a person that may be new to your lures. For those who are already familiar with your product the personal interaction either at shows, the Thorne's sale, or even videos online showing what it new and how it works keep you in touch with the core customer base. For me I spend most of my "musky allowance" every year at the shows or the Thornes spring sale, so having your new products or specials in line with that peak shopping window in the spring is really important. I only have 1 of your lures and the reason i bought it was the percieved quality of the product and the fact it was 20% off at the spring sale in that order.
snowball
Posted 8/16/2013 6:30 PM (#657788 - in reply to #657565)

how to give back to your customers? produce a high quality product that people can count on to not fail and hold up. work as hard as you possibly can to keep the quality of your product at a high level, and forget all the gimmicks. i dont care what you give me, all i know is that when the window of oppurtunity opens for my fish of a lifetime, i can count on your product to come thru for me, thats what i want.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)