Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Backlash issue

Message Subject: Backlash issue
dami0101
Posted 8/5/2013 1:14 PM (#655579)
Subject: Backlash issue

I'm having what I consider to be a weird backlash issue. I have a Saltist (new one) on an 8'6" XH that I sue for throwing DCG's to Mag SuperD's. the problem is that when I switch from a heavier bait, the superD or a regular medusa to a lighter bait, DCG, shallow invader, or top raider, I actually need to tighten the spool tension so not to backlash. I get if I was going from a light bait to a heavy bait, but this just seems counterintuitive to me. Any thoughts?
esoxaddict
Posted 8/5/2013 1:19 PM (#655582 - in reply to #655579)
Subject: RE: Backlash issue

dami0101 - 8/5/2013 1:14 PM

I'm having what I consider to be a weird backlash issue. I have a Saltist (new one) on an 8'6" XH that I sue for throwing DCG's to Mag SuperD's. the problem is that when I switch from a heavier bait, the superD or a regular medusa to a lighter bait, DCG, shallow invader, or top raider, I actually need to tighten the spool tension so not to backlash. I get if I was going from a light bait to a heavy bait, but this just seems counterintuitive to me. Any thoughts?

Does the Saltist have spool weights?
FAT-SKI
Posted 8/5/2013 1:38 PM (#655584 - in reply to #655579)

Your always going to have more issues when casting lighter baits as compared to heavier ones. When you cast a larger heavier bait, the bait will fly at a pretty even, if not faster rate than the line. Thus backlashes are less apparent. A backlash happens when the line is moving faster than the bait. Which is why you will get a lot of them casting big double bladed baits into the wind. The line will have more velocity because of the lack of surface area than lighter baits will depending on the conditions i.e. wind. Lighter baits will ALWAYS have more of an issue with backlashing.

Just make sure to follow the essentials. Keep thumb on spool while bait is in air. Make sure to stop the bait right before or at the exact time it hits the water so the line does not continue, thus causeing a backlash. Make sure that when casting light baits you are not trying to force them into a cast. Let the rod do the work. I have found (in my personal experience) that the harder I try to cast a light bait the more likely I am to backlash.

I also own a Saltist (old version) I honestly don't backlash as much as others do with this reel. DON't get me worng it happens. But I on average backlash once or twice a day on a full day trip (that can vary) on the Saltist. but it is very rarely. The old ones have a huge backlash issue. So just don't try and horse your cast and make sure you stop the bait before it hits the water... or right at the exact time. Watch wind when casting light baits, and which direction it is coming from.

Depenging on how long you have been fishing muskies and or using the Saltist, it may just take some time to get used to it...
curleytail
Posted 8/5/2013 8:33 PM (#655652 - in reply to #655579)
Subject: Re: Backlash issue

What Fat-Ski said. Heavy baits keep their momentum and slow down slowly, even into the wind. Light baits slow down more quickly than the spool does, especially into the wind.

Light baits require you to slow the spool down as the bait slows, where heavy baits keep pulling the spool, and you just need to get the spool stopped before the bait hits the water.
Propster
Posted 8/5/2013 9:48 PM (#655667 - in reply to #655579)

Overrun early in the cast is controlled by your brakes. At the end of the cast it's controlled by the cast control knob. Set another brake or two "out" or engaged, and keep the control knob lighter if you can, then feather the spool with your thumb more. Once you set it for the lighter more resistant baits, I'd leave it at that for the heavier stuff.
Rudedog
Posted 8/6/2013 6:57 AM (#655697 - in reply to #655579)

Unless they have changed recently with new Black version Saltist (I don't think so) Saltists have no brakes. I used one for a few yrs. and got tired of the backlash issue esp. casting into the wind. The knob to control spool tension should not be tightened down for cast control or will warp the spool. (so says "Pikemaster" the reel guru) This is the problem with the Saltist, and why many people (me included) have gone to a Tranx. I watched a buddy backlash all day with me while I did not w/my Tranx. (And I outcasted him by about 25%) Reminded me of why I droppped $4 big bills on a Tranx.
Some people have no issue with backlashes on Saltists, I did, BAD. You need to have a very discipilined thumb, But I tend to over cast and like fishing into the wind and it just happened waaaayyy too often at inopportune times.
just my $.02
-Jon
timhutson1
Posted 8/6/2013 9:24 AM (#655722 - in reply to #655667)

+1
tswoboda
Posted 8/6/2013 10:31 AM (#655728 - in reply to #655579)

I have the old Saltist and reducing the amount of line on the spool really helped with controlling backlashes. Less line = less backlashes, but also less speed and that is kind of the point of using the Saltist. It's about finding that sweetspot where it's still a fast reel but you can also cast blades with ease.

I started with a fully filled spool when I first got the saltist, pulled baits really fast and was awesome for Dawgs but backlash city with big blades.

Went down to a ~2/3 spool and no more backlashes with anything but wasn't getting the speed I wanted.

Now I'm at ~3/4 spool and I don't backlash very often (yes it still happens, just not frequently) but also have pretty good speed when pulling blades and picking up slack with dawgs. It's all about finding your sweetspot for how you cast.

Where I really like the Saltist, is throwing Mag Dawgs and Pounders and that's where it gets most use but I'll also use it for big blades like 12's, 13's, and last night threw a hurricane for a few hours with it. When I switch from throwing dawgs to big blades I'll tighten the spool tension knob just a little bit, like 1/32 of a turn; just barely bump it. The knob is super sensitive.

In the end you still need to have an educated thumb if you wanna use a saltist, but for the price it is such an awesome reel, performs like a poor man's tranx and built to last! And that is why people still buy, use, and like these reels even with the backlashing problems.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)