Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Hardhead VS bulldawg

Message Subject: Hardhead VS bulldawg
FAT-SKI
Posted 7/16/2013 9:47 AM (#651892)
Subject: Hardhead VS bulldawg

OK, So I was not going to buy a hardhead. Reason being beacuase I figured it was just another vatiation of a bulldawg (kinda) same principle at least. Well the more I hear about them, The more I want one. I don't throw all that much rubber not sure why, just don't. So to get over the fence I NEED to know for those of you that use both dawgs and hardhead. Which do you prefer. Which catches more fish? In your experience that is. This is not my first rodeo and I'm sure that they both have thier place. But just need some extra info to push me over in order to make the purchase. Then the question is, do I sell my bulldawgs?
dfkiii
Posted 7/16/2013 9:52 AM (#651895 - in reply to #651892)
Subject: Re: Hardhead VS bulldawg

The adjustable weighting system on the Hardhead make it pretty darn versatile in terms of where you can fish it in the water column. Also nice to just be able to replace the tail when it gets a bit chewed up.

Both catch fish - use whichever you have most confidence in.
curleytail
Posted 7/16/2013 11:37 AM (#651917 - in reply to #651892)
Subject: RE: Hardhead VS bulldawg

I use Hardheads a LOT. I still do consider them a variation to a Bulldawg, kinda.

I catch a lot more fish on Hardheads than bulldawgs, but I throw the HH a lot more.

I do think the HH can catch more fish at times because it has a nice belly roll/wobble on the pull and pause that Dawgs really don't. The HH can also walk the dog a little bit better/easier than other rubber baits. That's about the only real reason I see that the HH could be a better trigger.

Other differences:
Weights let you fish the HH high and slow or deep and fast.
HH hooks up very, very well
Nice to just replace the tails for $3.
Sound. I feel like the HH might push less water than Dawgs due to the shape, but they have a solid body the front hook can bang on to make some mechanical noise. I'd say one might not be better than the other here, just different.

To a point they are similar, but also very different. If they didn't have the adjustable weight system and replaceable Kalins tail, I wouldn't be nearly as excited about them. Being able to adjust weights and turn the tail up or down makes the bait very versatile.

Here's a fish from last weekend that decided to sample a walleye Hardhead.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(087A.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 087A.jpg (77KB - 218 downloads)
CiscoKid
Posted 7/16/2013 11:40 AM (#651918 - in reply to #651892)

Lots of posts out there on the benefits of the Hardhead so I will keep it short and sweet.

I use to use the Mag Dawgs A LOT. Went through a ton of them. Since the Hardhead came out I do not throw a Mag Dawg anymore. There not even in my boat unless someone else brings one in.
frank
Posted 7/16/2013 11:52 AM (#651921 - in reply to #651892)

FAT-SKI - 7/16/2013 9:47 AM

But just need some extra info to push me over in order to make the purchase. Then the question is, do I sell my bulldawgs?

Heck yea.. Sell them all..

Honestly though.. Dawgs catch more 50"ers than probably any other bait besides a bucktial..

You've mentioned many times that you're still after your first 50", and regularly tell us that you don't throw much rubber.. See where I'm going with this one??

I'm guessing the 57 on the front page ate a dawg if that means anything...

IMO hardheads look cool and catch some fish, but will NEVER replace a dawg..
Go get yourself a cisco UV pounder and let us know when you crack that 50..

curleytail
Posted 7/16/2013 11:59 AM (#651923 - in reply to #651921)

frank - 7/16/2013 11:52 AM

But just need some extra info to push me over in order to make the purchase. Then the question is, do I sell my bulldawgs?

Honestly though.. Dawgs catch more 50"ers than probably any other bait besides a bucktial..

You've mentioned many times that you're still after your first 50", and regularly tell us that you don't throw much rubber.. See where I'm going with this one??

It doesn't mean anything because the front page fish ate a bucktail. Just giving you a hard time.

I use the Hardheads a lot and love them but kept my Dawgs, Curly Sues, and Super D's. As much as I like the HH I figure all the other baits offer something a little different and at times might be what the fish prefer.

Tucker
FAT-SKI
Posted 7/16/2013 1:09 PM (#651937 - in reply to #651921)

frank - 7/16/2013 11:52 AM

----
See thats kinda what I thought. I bought my first double dawg pounder this eyar in hopes of popping the 50" this season. I have not even got the thing wet yet. Soon hopefully, but have not been out as much as I would like this season. Been doing a lot more bassin with the wife than I have fishing skis. But I gotta get back to it soon. Or after the rise and drop of water temps.

Even if I do pull the trigger and get a hardhead. There are a few dawgs I would keep anyway. Just because of the reason you stated, each bait (though similar) offers differences and similarities. So I would still keep a few. But am becoming more and more intrigued in this bait. Still not 100% but we will see.

I keep telling myself to throw more rubber when I am on the water, but am always finding myself defaulting to a blade bait, glider or jerk of some kind. I think I may have to force myself to do it, and only bring rubber on one of my upcoming trips. Even if its not the right tactic, just getting better with them is HUGE!
h2os2t
Posted 7/16/2013 2:43 PM (#651950 - in reply to #651921)

You also need to consider there are millions of Dawgs out there and less than 10,000 HardHeads. Some lakes a Dawg is almost a native species.
frank
Posted 7/16/2013 2:56 PM (#651955 - in reply to #651892)

I never said the HH wasn't a good bait..

Just said it's not a replacement in my opinion..
They're as different as a topraider and a pacemaker..

I wouldn't sell all my topraiders because I caught some fish on a pacemaker..

Just like I wouldn't sell all my cowgirls because I caught something on a Giant Flasher, or a spanky etc..

They look cool, but I wouldn't get all anxious and sell everything else.
FAT-SKI
Posted 7/16/2013 3:05 PM (#651956 - in reply to #651955)

At this point, any selling I do will be to fund somthing else. I only have limited rubber supply, so I'll probably sell somthing else to fund a hardhead. IF I dedcide to go that route
h2os2t
Posted 7/16/2013 4:47 PM (#651978 - in reply to #651955)

I agree Frank, they all catch fish at the right time. It really is another tool in the woodshed, just a little more versatile in my opinion but it is a little jaded for some reason :).
Bucky_Musky
Posted 7/16/2013 4:59 PM (#651982 - in reply to #651892)

Does anyone know if Musky Shop will be getting more colors of the hardhead in? It seems every time I go up there, they only have clown, black and cisco. I would like to pick up a sucker/darkeye pattern or maybe a jo perch. I had a clown pattern one before, but it now rests on the bottom of a lake due to a used and abused leader clasp.
Ja Rule
Posted 7/16/2013 5:38 PM (#651987 - in reply to #651892)

I would definitely keep a dawg or two around, both are awesome baits. If it is strictly a one or the other debate though I go with a hardhead every time.
Juhas
Posted 7/16/2013 5:41 PM (#651988 - in reply to #651987)

So what is the deal with the Hard Head? different action? variable weight? Easy to fix damaged section? Never threw one. Just asking.
Chris
FishingFool
Posted 7/16/2013 8:10 PM (#652016 - in reply to #651988)

Juhas, Yup,Yup and Yup. The HH has a belly roll on the fall,easier to modify with the weights and a replaceable tail. I fish a river that gets TONS of pressure from Dawgs,I got 2 on HH's this year,Dawgs 0... I still love the dawgs but will continue to toss the HH's.
h2os2t
Posted 7/16/2013 9:21 PM (#652031 - in reply to #651982)

Bucky - I am sure they will be getting some new colors as I could not keep up and sold the HardHead to Phantom and Todd has some new patterns coming out. If you wanted a Darkeye I have a few left in the basement along with a few other colors.
Bucky_Musky
Posted 7/16/2013 10:01 PM (#652035 - in reply to #651892)

PM sent Roger. Thanks.
Riverrat351
Posted 7/17/2013 9:13 AM (#652095 - in reply to #651918)

CiscoKid - 7/16/2013 11:40 AM

Lots of posts out there on the benefits of the Hardhead so I will keep it short and sweet.

I use to use the Mag Dawgs A LOT. Went through a ton of them. Since the Hardhead came out I do not throw a Mag Dawg anymore. There not even in my boat unless someone else brings one in.

Travis, Since you throw Hardheads exclusively, what is your favorite color combination?
CiscoKid
Posted 7/17/2013 11:27 AM (#652144 - in reply to #652095)

Riverrat351 - 7/17/2013 9:13 AM

Travis, Since you throw Hardheads exclusively, what is your favorite color combination?

It changes from lake to lake, and year to year so I will give you my regulars.

All black – will switch out the black tail with an orange one on occasion
Tullibee
Bullhead
Darkeye
Lighteye
The Natural
Full Custom – to be un-named since not sure if Phantom will be doing customs. Lets just say it has black, and white in it and the tail is also a custom pour. Also have several other customs that produce well that will remain un-named.
Bucky_Musky
Posted 7/17/2013 3:31 PM (#652243 - in reply to #651892)

I don't see much merit in that tailup/down. The bucket-head hardhead is practically as big as the pounder. Any dawg or style hardhead can be worked shallow/deep; just with the hardhead, you can do both on the same lure body. Plus if the tail gets crushed when you get hit, you are out $3 for a new tail. Not $18-25 for a new dawg (or spending 5-10 minutes with a lighter melting rubber back together).

Concerning the water column part, I think that is more dependent on the activity level of the fish, not so much the lure. Sometimes they will chase, other times you have to stick in right in their immediate strike zone.

I just don't see how the dawg or hardhead could be believed to catch a "heavier fish" than the other. Plenty of behemoths get caught on jig & minnows each year. Lures are just different tools for different situations. Sometimes the dawg or hardhead may be perceived to work better than the other given the conditions, but I would not say that one catches heavier fish.
CiscoKid
Posted 7/17/2013 3:37 PM (#652248 - in reply to #651892)

tailup or down? - 7/17/2013 3:10 PM

dawg will catch you the biggest fish,it dont matters where they are in the water column period'.let them use something versatile and you catch the hvy ones

What are you basing this statement on?

Yep dawgs catch lots of fish, and big ones. It's the majority of what a lot of anglers throw as well. Give Hardheads the same playing time once and see what happens. I have heard rumors that there are some pretty well known guys in the industry that have switched over to throwing hardheads rather than bulldawgs. It can't just be because they look cool.

Tail Up or Down have you used the Hardhead and Buckethead, and given it the same amount of time as your beloved dawgs?
PSYS
Posted 7/18/2013 12:44 PM (#652453 - in reply to #651892)

TRAVIS / ROGER:

I would've messaged you guys on FB, but Big Brother doesn't let me play on that site while I'm slaving away at work. HA! I picked up a couple of HH's from Roger last year but will be honest - I did not get to do much fishing last year and therefore, have not thrown these baits much at all.

What's the consensus on how to work the HH? Is it a simple "pull - pause and reel up the slack"? Is there really any wrong way to work them?
CiscoKid
Posted 7/18/2013 2:30 PM (#652475 - in reply to #652453)

PSYS - 7/18/2013 12:44 PM

TRAVIS / ROGER:

I would've messaged you guys on FB, but Big Brother doesn't let me play on that site while I'm slaving away at work. HA! I picked up a couple of HH's from Roger last year but will be honest - I did not get to do much fishing last year and therefore, have not thrown these baits much at all.

What's the consensus on how to work the HH? Is it a simple "pull - pause and reel up the slack"? Is there really any wrong way to work them?

Here is a past post. Change things up until you find what works. Unlike guest I do not fish the HH the same as I did the Dawgs.
http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=61...
Bucky_Musky
Posted 7/18/2013 2:39 PM (#652476 - in reply to #652475)

Thanks for the reminder & insight Cisco on working the hardheads. Always nice to get another person's opinion. I am ordering a few more hardheads and can't wait to put them to use on the water
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)