Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Best Beginner Confidence Baits

Message Subject: Best Beginner Confidence Baits
Ryan
Posted 6/14/2013 11:49 PM (#646632)
Subject: Best Beginner Confidence Baits

I'm new to musky fishing and I have good equipment but don't know what baits tp throw when and what are great baits to gain confidence in. So far I have a few musky killer mepps and a few spinnerbaits and a mag dog or two.
hawkeye9
Posted 6/15/2013 8:07 AM (#646639 - in reply to #646632)
Subject: RE: Best Beginner Confidence Baits

I'd say you're in good shape with all three, Ryan.

You should be able to effectively work the water column with those baits. I'd be partial to the spinnerbait because of it's easy of use (especially in getting tight to cover).

As you grow in confidence for there, figure out the Mepps and the 'Dawg. When you get those figured out purchase a top raider (super easily to use) and then a suick or phantom or hellhound. With the topwater and glidebait added, no matter what any of us tell ourselves, you've got it all covered. Actually, you might really need a crankbait too...so add a depth-raider or Jake or Grandma.

Kirby Budrow
Posted 6/15/2013 8:26 AM (#646640 - in reply to #646632)
Subject: Re: Best Beginner Confidence Baits

All a guy really needs is a cowgirl
Peter Stoltman
Posted 6/15/2013 9:24 AM (#646647 - in reply to #646640)

Kirby Budrow - 6/15/2013 8:26 AM

For a "beginner confidence bait"? I'd think he's on a better track with the Mepps and maybe a decent crank bait like a Shallow Raider, Slammer, etc. I've seen a number of guys get burned out fast with Cowgirls because as a beginner they frequently are undergunned with the rod/reel set up. They don't have the skills or stamina to cast a large bait all day, accuracy suffers, number of "fishable casts" goes down, and frustration sets in. The beginner will get many more casts in with less fatigue using a lure that isn't wearing them down and more casts = more opportunities to contact fish and increase confidence.
FAT-SKI
Posted 6/15/2013 9:31 AM (#646650 - in reply to #646640)

---
YEP!

I guess like stoltman said there can be a castiong issue. But as far as production goes the cowgirl is up there. That is what I would give a noob to throw, easy to use. It only takes a few mistakes to learn what not to do on a cast to avoid backlashes. I don't think that much time would be lost on casting. Not to mention that time has to be taken at some point, why not get them all caught up on one of the best producing baits out there today?
Kirby Budrow
Posted 6/15/2013 9:45 AM (#646654 - in reply to #646647)

Peter Stoltman - 6/15/2013 9:24 AM

For a "beginner confidence bait"? I'd think he's on a better track with the Mepps and maybe a decent crank bait like a Shallow Raider, Slammer, etc. I've seen a number of guys get burned out fast with Cowgirls because as a beginner they frequently are undergunned with the rod/reel set up. They don't have the skills or stamina to cast a large bait all day, accuracy suffers, number of "fishable casts" goes down, and frustration sets in. The beginner will get many more casts in with less fatigue using a lure that isn't wearing them down and more casts = more opportunities to contact fish and increase confidence.

That may be true for some people, but we all do it. You can't really screw up using a cowgirl, and fish eat them pretty much all year. They've caught more fish than probably any other bait since they came out. Maybe this guy is strong and won't get burned out? Or get a Jr. Cowgirl, smaller and easier to work, and still catch tons of fish.
Bucky_Musky
Posted 6/15/2013 11:07 AM (#646663 - in reply to #646632)

For beginner confidence baits, you should also consider that 'beginners' for the most part have a relatively simple set-up and don't have a lot of equipment options yet. I would say for the average beginner, considering the equipment limitations they are probably under...1) Mepps Musky Maribou 2)Regular bulldawg or Mini-Medussa (had a lot of action on the dussas last year) 3. flat sided jake or grandma for some cranking/twitching. All of these are relatively easy on the equipment and are proven fish catching lures. Obviously if the beginner had a better a PG or a HS/Winch Revo, some jr doubles or DCGs are no-brainers.
muskyhunter47
Posted 6/15/2013 11:31 AM (#646666 - in reply to #646632)

I was out yesterday after work. started with a Jr cow girl. then went to a suick nothing. went to a mepps magnum. Put a 40 inch in the net . I have caught more fish on that bait then any other bait in my box. it's also one of the cheapest. there are time s when big baits work and when they don't let the fish tell you what they want. it's hard for me I fish by myself most of the time.I start with what worked in the past on that lake and go from there
flyingfish8604
Posted 6/15/2013 12:01 PM (#646671 - in reply to #646632)

Mepps will always do well. It is one of my go-to if if I need a boost in confidence. A topraider, or Crane 206 are also great confidence builders. Both are almost foolproof and catch fish through the majority of the season.
ranger618
Posted 6/15/2013 6:57 PM (#646711 - in reply to #646632)

3 bucktails in different colors and sizes up to double or single 8.
A Suick or Bobbie bait type floating diving jerk bait.
A Phantom or similar glider jerk bait.
A 6" and an 8" Jake or shallow raider.
A Top raider type surface bait.
A Bulldawg.
Mullhead
Posted 6/16/2013 11:13 AM (#646773 - in reply to #646711)

Musky Innovations Shallow Invader
Mepps Musky Maribou
Joe Bucher Top Raider
tundrawalker00
Posted 6/16/2013 12:56 PM (#646784 - in reply to #646632)

Second the Suick and Bobbie. Nothing builds confidence like lots and lots of follows. Learn your figure 8!
Ray Fuller
Posted 6/16/2013 8:13 PM (#646826 - in reply to #646632)

Ghosttails,cobb jerkbaits , and crane baits were the first baits that were shown to me when first getting started and still use them today.
Musky Face
Posted 6/16/2013 9:40 PM (#646839 - in reply to #646632)

7.5 inch grandma. Oh ya.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)