Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Need advice

Message Subject: Need advice
Mitch2388
Posted 5/29/2013 6:45 PM (#643968)
Subject: Need advice

Hi everyone. I'm looking for some advice on buying a rod and reel. I fish from a kayak, and I am about to be moving near waters that produces good size muskie and tigers, but it's not something that I am experienced with. I'm looking to buy my first rod and reel combo...I have a 7' st. Criox triumph (budget rod) that's a fast action, extra heavy power (rated for 30 to 80 lb test I think). I was going to pair this with an okuma akena 400 (5.1:1 ratio). I was wondering what applications this set up would be good for (if any) and if anyone could point me in the right direction as far as another rod/reel set up is concerned. Ideally I would like one set up that is useful for a lot of different tactics and perhaps one more to cover what the first one doesn't. Any advice on tackle/lures to start out with will be greatly appreciated as well.
BenR
Posted 5/29/2013 6:55 PM (#643971 - in reply to #643968)
Subject: Re: Need advice

That set up should be fine, you just want to stay away from hard pulling baits like double 10 bucktails for a couple reasons, one is your set up is a bit light for them, the other is kayaks tend to get pulled while you are retrieving the baits. It is a blast fishing from a kayak!
Mitch2388
Posted 5/29/2013 7:09 PM (#643972 - in reply to #643968)

Thanks for the reply! I'm looking forward to hooking into my first, and I'm hoping for a good tow. I know it's going to take a lot of research and even more casting to get myself there.
wicked
Posted 5/30/2013 8:55 AM (#644063 - in reply to #643968)

What baits are you looking to use? Imo xh is pretty stiff for alot of baits. My favorite rod is the topntail wich is an 8' mh rod wich I can throw the majority of my baits on. When I need something stiffer for big cranks, big rubber, or big blades I grab big nasty wich is a 9' h action rod. Its mostly personal preference but for most baits I think xh is ovetkill. Really will come down to the baits you are throwing.
Flambeauski
Posted 5/30/2013 9:42 AM (#644077 - in reply to #643968)

I'd go with a 7'6" H or MH for your cranks, topwaters, and bucktails. Your current setup will be good for jerkbaits.
Unless your kayak is stand-up I wouldn't use anything longer than 7'6".
Mitch2388
Posted 5/30/2013 9:49 AM (#644081 - in reply to #643968)

Well, thats kind of my problem. Id like to know what I can actually do with the set ups I have. Its looking like I'll have two rods:

one medium heavy ugly stick tiger (7', seems like it has a fast action/stiffer tip) paired with a abu 7000i....i've used this for big catfish but i was thinking it would be useful for big bucktails.

The next set up would be a 7' st. croix triumph, extra heavy power (rated for up to 8oz.) paired with an okuma akena 400.

Right now I have everything except the okuma reel so I'm trying to figure out what lures would be best to use given what I currently have. I don't know squat about muskie fishing other than I know bucktails are popular, and I'm hoping that I don't need another rod/reel.
Mitch2388
Posted 5/30/2013 9:52 AM (#644083 - in reply to #643968)

Thanks for the replies everyone, and good info flambeauski. I can stand or kneel on my kayak, and i've thrown small cast nets from it. I can also anchor with a stake out pole, as long as its in shallow water. I'm hoping that I can get some use out of my old catfish setup (the tigerstick).
Flambeauski
Posted 5/30/2013 10:23 AM (#644095 - in reply to #643968)

Catfish setup will be good for crankbaits.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)