Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Getting into the sport

Message Subject: Getting into the sport
TheLastRodBender
Posted 5/27/2013 7:11 PM (#643529)
Subject: Getting into the sport

I Decided to get into some Muskie fishing and I understand this is the place to come for information. I do not want to spend a ton of money but understand this is by no means a cheap sport. As for a rod I was looking into a tackle industries rod. What would you guys say is the best all around rod made by them. Reel I was looking at an Abu Garcia 6600 c4. How does that sound? I have no clue what line I should get or what size. Also what is an inexpensive net that would be suitable for Muskie fishing. Finally, any baits that you would suggest to buy to get me up and running?

Thanks, Pat
mastical
Posted 5/27/2013 7:30 PM (#643535 - in reply to #643529)
Subject: Re: Getting into the sport

I started out with a c4 and a TI rod. Great cheaper setup.

For line get 65-100 power pro.

Where will you be fishing?
Deeply Hooked
Posted 5/27/2013 7:37 PM (#643539 - in reply to #643529)

Check on here for baits...always good deals
TheLastRodBender
Posted 5/27/2013 7:47 PM (#643543 - in reply to #643529)

I will be fishing on upper Niagara river and Lake Erie
Nolan
Posted 5/27/2013 7:54 PM (#643544 - in reply to #643529)

Probably change the c4 for a c3 or a Shimano Cardiff. Both little more durable and the same price. Get some 80lb braid, 130lb+ leader, and a handful of baits on the buy/sell. Oh and for the rod get the 3-12 oz. Right now you probably think you will not go over 6 oz on the MH.. but you will.
CU301DSV
Posted 5/27/2013 7:58 PM (#643546 - in reply to #643543)

TheLastRodBender - 5/27/2013 8:47 PM

Join the Niagara Musky Association or check out the Hamilton Chapter of Muskies Canada (lots of members there are also members of the NMA)
moemoe
Posted 5/27/2013 9:22 PM (#643559 - in reply to #643529)

get a calcutta right of the bat, you wont want to upgrade quite as soon lol, c4 doesnt compare in my opinion
NathanMaibauer3148
Posted 5/27/2013 9:30 PM (#643562 - in reply to #643529)

I've had mixed results with the c4's I've had a couple give out and I have a couple that I'm still running, as for ti rods I personally don't have any but prolly will since I've heard nothing but good about them. On the subject of line I use 80lb power pro I'm miss green
rjhyland
Posted 5/27/2013 9:53 PM (#643574 - in reply to #643529)

Don't do it!
But if you must get a reel that you can troll and cast for Erie/Niagara. I would go with a Abu Revo as it has a fish alarm. Holds plenty of line, has a solid drag and can cast a Canadian mile eeerrr Kilometer and has a power handle to pull some torque.
Since the mussels came in allot of the old trolling runs have now grown weed beds and the Red October baits are made in Buffalo to get into them pockets.
Ti is a good rod and I own one but you may save a few dollars on an Okuma that isn't bad.
Whatever gear you buy try to buy the best that you can.

Ron

ARmuskyaddict
Posted 5/27/2013 9:53 PM (#643575 - in reply to #643529)

"I do not want to spend a ton of money but understand this is by no means a cheap sport."

I had that same thought when I started last year... If you plan on throwing DC10's, get a 7000i C3. It's much bigger, and you won't be able to burn 10s well, but you won't wear yourself, or the reel, out. TI rods are great. Check the forums here and Ebay for lures. There are several good deals for 7000i's on Ebay. Just make sure you will have a warranty on it.
Skyblaster
Posted 5/28/2013 10:32 AM (#643650 - in reply to #643529)

C4's are a great starting reel if you are only fishing a minimal amount of time. I have 2 currently and still use one as a jerkbait back up reel and the other specific for pike bobber fishing. 10's or bigger present a lot of wear and tear on both the fisherman as well as the reel. They have a higher line pick up rate which makes them good for topwaters, gliders, etc. but I wouldn't really recommend for other applications. I agree with moemoe (above) in that if you can swing the extra $100 I would look for a Calcutta 400b. You will be much happier with the performance in the reel for nearly all applications.

In regards to rods, I am a firm believer and supporter in TI rods. I currently have 5 of them and will recommend them all day long. Great quality, sensativity and cost. Not to mention that James at TI provides some of the the best customer service in the industry.
The Swan
Posted 5/28/2013 1:18 PM (#643684 - in reply to #643529)
Subject: RE: Getting into the sport

Before I spent a lot of money I would first find out if I like the sport. If you do like it, you will want more than one rod. You can upgrade on your second and third outfit. I would go with 65 lb. superbraid line. I use Power Pro, but there are lots of brands. As to lures, how deep will you be fishing? If the water isn't too deep, you can use bucktails. If you are talking deep water applications, crankbaits are the only way to go--unless you want to jig fish. For a good introduction to the lures of musky fishing, let me suggest Saric and Heiting's book on Musky Hunting. (The Complete Musky Hunter or some such name.) This book explains the basics as well as any. Some suggestions: Mepps Magnum Musky Killers and Mepps Giant Killers with tandem tails, for summer. Musky season doesn't start in NY until summer, does it? For crankbaits, stick to those with a good track record; and don't go too big to start. 6", 7", and 8" Believers are a good, reasonably priced lure. 6" and 8" Depthraiders are another good choice. Take your time and don't buy anything just because it is cheap. The musky net I have was purchased for under $40 at a Sportsman's Warehouse some years ago. It was a Ranger brand out of Detroit. Look around. Just make sure your net is big enough. As big as you can handle alone.
Brad P
Posted 5/28/2013 2:10 PM (#643693 - in reply to #643543)

TheLastRodBender - 5/27/2013 7:47 PM

I would take the advice of the poster who reccomended joining some of the local clubs and finding out what presentations you want to employ. I've no knowledge of the waters you cite, but my guess is that part of the determination as to "what gear is best" will be how much trolling you will be doing. Given you are talking about one of the Great Lakes it might be a lot of trolling in which case the gear needs are going to be quite different than the casting stuff listed above.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)