Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Willow Flowage

Message Subject: Willow Flowage
black_dawg
Posted 3/17/2013 10:05 PM (#627490)
Subject: Willow Flowage

Out of shear winter boredom, I started planning my Muskie Opener fishing trip today. I plan on tent camping for an extended weekend, with the wife and dog. It's going to be her first time actually throwing baits for muskie. So I'm really just interested in putting her on fish. I was looking through some books and browsing the internet, and I stumbled upon the Willow Flowage. It seems like a pretty awesome body of water! I was just wondering how the fishing is? Things I've read so far have been inconsistent and possibly outdated. It's also going to be Memorial Day, so I'm somewhat worried the sites might fill up fast. Any info about that would be appreciated.
Jim Stroede
Posted 3/18/2013 6:33 PM (#627719 - in reply to #627490)
Subject: Re: Willow Flowage

I haven't fished it for many years, but it's historically know as a tough bite.
jonnysled
Posted 3/18/2013 6:41 PM (#627722 - in reply to #627719)

among the best multi-species body of water in the area with a great local flavor of its own ... there are some fantastic private sites (limited number) on the river by the dam at Willowood and a few other campgrounds. it's popular, close but out of the way enough for you to really enjoy yourself. best place to catch walleyes, great crappie and bass fishery too. i wouldn't pick it for a musky destination but it would be number one if i wanted a place to go camping and fishing with a woman who would appreciate the low-key nature of the area and its bar/restaurants. the other really popular summer draw there is ATV trails so you get the good and the bad with that.

a flowage to pick for musky fishing might be best at either Boom or the Rainbow but both are very different ... the Willow is the beginning of some very raw land tracks that make it unique.
Jim Stroede
Posted 3/18/2013 7:11 PM (#627735 - in reply to #627490)

Sled, I do remember some nice walleyes and BIG crappies too, just tough for 'ski's.
Ebenezer
Posted 3/18/2013 11:15 PM (#627841 - in reply to #627490)
Subject: RE: Willow Flowage

For a campsite on Memorial Day weekend, have a walleye/crappie/whatever bud go up Monday prior and get a campsite. Buddy should have the ability to be mobile and switch campsites as more desirable locations come available during the week. If a group campsite is buddy's last location, go out and join him. If buddy's last campsite is not a group site, go out and displace him for Memorial Day weekend.

Tough waterbody, but nice fish are available. I consider one fish per boat per day quite acceptable on the Willow. Competition for muskies is almost non-existant. But be ready to work for your success, the Willow is a fickle bee-yotch. If you need inspiration, look to Cedar Rapids or the Willow River in late April/early May to see what swims in the Willow.
black_dawg
Posted 3/19/2013 10:19 AM (#627942 - in reply to #627490)

Thanks for the input Guys!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)