Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> dbarb hook cutter

Message Subject: dbarb hook cutter
d2bucktail
Posted 3/14/2013 12:01 AM (#626330)
Subject: dbarb hook cutter

Just got back from our Muskellunge Club of Wisconsin meeting where Kevin Moore shared some interesting things about his recent experiences muskie fishing on Okauchee Lake! Nice job Kevin! Anyway, one thing he shared was a hook cutter called d-barb (or dbarb). After his presentation he demo'd it for the few of us that were left. It was very slick. I did some investigating and found what is probably their website (dbarb.com) but it is not working - although a testimonial sub-page is working (http://www.dbarb.com/testimonials.html). Do any of you have experience with this hook cutter? And more importantly, where can I get one?

Thanks
enice
Posted 3/14/2013 12:30 AM (#626334 - in reply to #626330)
Subject: RE: dbarb hook cutter

If you go to the bottom of the testimonial page, there is an order now button. It takes you to a store with a hook cutter called the d-barb medic. It's got magnets to catch the cut tips, and is smaller to get into a fish's mouth. Not sure if that's the one, or if there is a bigger size.
d2bucktail
Posted 3/14/2013 11:46 AM (#626447 - in reply to #626334)
Subject: RE: dbarb hook cutter

Yes, that's it! It's a heavy-duty hook cutter, but I'm not sure how it will handle larger gauge hooks. It cut the 1-O size hooks Kevin demo'd on with ease. I've since found a few other websites listing info on it and it sounds like it was originally designed for bass fisherman so I'm thinking it is intended for smaller-gauge hooks. I emailed the site where you can order them asking what gauge hook is it capable of cutting. I'll post here once they email me info. If it isn't suggested for cutting our 7-O and 8-O hooks, then I'm going to suggest the manufacturer consider coming out with a beefier one for us muskie guys! As stated above, the one Kevin had was a quality, heavy-duty tool - put me in mind of the same quality as a knipex. The nice thing about this tool is that you go straight at the hook point and cut off as much of it as you need to. I LOVE my knipex, but it does require you to get in there at some goofy angles sometimes where there isn't the kind of room you need. This d-barb hook cutter would be ideal for those situations. Could be better for cutting hooks stuck in your buddy or yourself, too!
spoonva
Posted 3/14/2013 4:52 PM (#626546 - in reply to #626330)
Subject: Re: dbarb hook cutter

I have the Dbarb tool and it works great on bass size hooks. I have never tried it on musky hooks. Never crossed my mind because it takes a pretty strong hand just to cut bass size hooks. I just use my bolt cutters for musky hooks.

It would be nice if Dbarb came out with a musky hook size and used a ratchet on it to get more gripping power. It would also be nice if they had a crossways cutter on it too. The cutter that is on it will only allow for cutting a hook straight on.

Curious to hear what size hooks they say it can cut up to.

Just used it to cut a 4/0 374 eagle claw hook and it cut fairly easy. Didn't seem to be any harder than cutting a bass size hook.

Edited by spoonva 3/14/2013 5:02 PM
d2bucktail
Posted 3/14/2013 4:58 PM (#626547 - in reply to #626546)

Ok, here's the response I received:

Date: Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Subject: RE: D-BARB FISH MEDIC
To:

The D-Barb is a great tool – I use it a lot. Since you can rotate the blades it lasts a lot longer on one set of same. We don’t use super-big hooks out here because there are no Muskie, but we’ve sold the D-Barb all over the country to saltwater and muskie fishermen without any complaints. I know it will cut a 5/0 Heavy Cover Gamakatsu with a little extra effort but, beyond that, I really can’t say.

Northern Bass Supply
1-800-227-7032
[email protected]
spoonva
Posted 3/14/2013 5:05 PM (#626549 - in reply to #626330)

After using it to cut that 4/0 374 eagle claw, I will be taking it along on musky trips from now on.

Edited by spoonva 3/14/2013 5:28 PM
d2bucktail
Posted 3/15/2013 9:32 PM (#626969 - in reply to #626549)

Here's the latest reply from the place where you can order them after suggesting that the manufacturer create a larger muskie-hook sized one. Perhaps one of the MuskieFirst readers might swoop up on this one and run with it! I replied to NBS that this larger sized version of this tool would be a fantastic addition to the knipex line of cutters. Does anyone have contact info for knipex?

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Northern Bass Supply wrote:

The owner of the business has actually gone out of business, but still supplies us with his leftover stock and referrals. So I know he is not about to take on a redesign and remarketing effort. He wants to be retired!

Northern Bass Supply
1-800-227-7032
[email protected]
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)