Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Top Water Advice

Message Subject: Top Water Advice
MartinTD
Posted 2/28/2013 2:23 PM (#621887 - in reply to #620877)
Subject: Re: Top Water Advice

If you don't have a Topraider you need (at least) one.

Personally, hawg wobblers are too slow for me and most of them are a real p.i.a. to get on and off the leader. Kind of an inside joke amongst friends... I hate them, few of my buddies like them a lot. Although I've never seen them catch a fish on one.
jchiggins
Posted 2/28/2013 10:26 PM (#622020 - in reply to #620877)

Hawg wobblers , ran painfully slow. Agreed, the chewed up one's run even better. If they're rolling on you you're fishing em too fast.. leave the red bull at home and relax. Definitely a bait for the back of the boat, or unless you're both in slow down mode. If you want to drive a hyper partner nuts , throw one from the front of the boat. If it's a top water bite, top raider or pacemaker leads . Then hawg wobbler or creeper follows .

mm3
Posted 3/1/2013 7:23 AM (#622052 - in reply to #620877)
Subject: RE: Top Water Advice

I think Top Raiders, Weagles, and Hawg Wobblers would top my list an all have their time and place with slghtly different functions.

1. Top Raiders can cover alot of ground and find agressive fish.
2. Weagles can be worked fast or slow - but say medium speed. They move alot of water, get alot of attention and look like a relatively easy meal. Heavy too, for good hookups.
3. Hawg Wobblers are super slow, but I would say are the best for throwing in a calm conditions when fish aren't that aggressive. Try one as the sun is going down on a quiet bay sometime and hang on... They can also catch just about any fish in the lake. This is one of my favorite lures. I've caught fish on all three sizes. If attaching a leader is a problem, just leave a split ring on it. Don't give up on the Hawg Wobbler!
kodiak
Posted 3/1/2013 8:09 AM (#622058 - in reply to #620877)

anybody else catch a ton of big bass fishing muskie topwaters?
flyingfish8604
Posted 3/2/2013 8:57 PM (#622481 - in reply to #620877)

Just wondering if any of you have tried Big Fork's Papa Chubby?
Johnsonu571
Posted 3/3/2013 10:06 AM (#622567 - in reply to #620877)

If I had to pick just one top water lure for my arsenal it would have to be a Headbanger no offense to these slow moving baits that are so quiet compared to the headbanger. When I go up north its great since not one bait shop has one thus majority of fish havent seen one or been caught by one before truly is an outstanding bait, talk about noise this bait my family can hear from our cabin when I'm fishing down the shore line. While my gf is using a topraider or creeper the headbanger totally over powers her lures noise and fish can only concentrate on my lure that is also spitting water as high as a foot so a must have bait in any tackle box

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMAG0214-1-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMAG0214-1-1.jpg (163KB - 283 downloads)
FIBpride35
Posted 3/8/2013 9:42 AM (#624190 - in reply to #620877)

Martin and JC talked about needing patience and just how slow the Hawg Wobbler has too be worked....it is one of the main reasons I don't have one to date and the main reason I am torn on buying one so I started this thread to get input. I have zero patience and it is a bit of an inside joke with my buddy who throws his Hawg Wobbler almost daily on our trips. To that point the thing drove me so crazy that I often joked that I was going to smash it with the boat oar on his retrieve becuase he was movin it sooooo slow and the sound drove me nuts....LOL. However, I have seen first hand how productive that lure is for him. I guess it is time to swallow my pride and purchase the Hawg Wobbler.....The down side is that I will have to listen to his big mouth everytime I pull it out of the box since I spent so many years bad mouthing it! Oh well, it will just add some laughs to the trip!
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 3/8/2013 10:58 PM (#624418 - in reply to #620877)

Fish it from the front of the boat to really pee him off then.
bigbite
Posted 3/9/2013 6:54 AM (#624449 - in reply to #624190)

lose the Hawg Wobbler and get yourself a Lee Lures Top H2o!
elkman99
Posted 3/9/2013 7:55 AM (#624461 - in reply to #624190)

FIBpride35 - 3/8/2013 9:42 AM

Martin and JC talked about needing patience and just how slow the Hawg Wobbler has too be worked....it is one of the main reasons I don't have one to date and the main reason I am torn on buying one so I started this thread to get input. I have zero patience and it is a bit of an inside joke with my buddy who throws his Hawg Wobbler almost daily on our trips. To that point the thing drove me so crazy that I often joked that I was going to smash it with the boat oar on his retrieve becuase he was movin it sooooo slow and the sound drove me nuts....LOL. However, I have seen first hand how productive that lure is for him. I guess it is time to swallow my pride and purchase the Hawg Wobbler.....The down side is that I will have to listen to his big mouth everytime I pull it out of the box since I spent so many years bad mouthing it! Oh well, it will just add some laughs to the trip! :)

I was thinking of giving a certain "floating spoon" the same boat oar treatment if it shows up this summer.... lol
t-bone blades
Posted 3/9/2013 5:21 PM (#624638 - in reply to #621881)

I tend to agree with the hawg wobler side, vs the polly wog. with out a doubt a proven producer. And especially as Grass said,I have also seen way more fish on a H.G. than a P. W. and for the rediculously inflated price, the finishes on the nimmer p.w.'s ought to be much more durable.
Tom
t-bone blades
Posted 3/9/2013 6:25 PM (#624661 - in reply to #624638)

Hey Fibpride,
Another way to look at low patience is the amount of time between seeing fish. If one type of lure is bring fish up a little more often than another type of lure with a different sound, in the long run, your patience is being 'tried' less with the hawg wobbler, in this instance, than another lure that you just happen to be working differently, or faster.Not saying that the H.W. is an hands down outproducer, As any musky lure, it is not going to produce in every condition, but I do recommend having one and giving it a shot at those key times. Like others have noted there's something pretty enjoyable about practically 'lulling' yourself to sleep right at sunset, after a long day of heaving, with the mesmerizing "clip-clop" of a hawg wobbler, only to have the crap jolted out of you with an explosion of water and thrashing! Or equally as fun is watching your buddy literally fall asleep mid-retrieve to the point of a nose-dive into the drink !
FIBpride35
Posted 3/29/2013 4:16 PM (#630669 - in reply to #624661)

Tom:

I saw my buddy nose-dive into the drink it would make my entire trip to Canada worthwhile. Heck, I'd probably put away the gear and just drink beer and laugh about it the rest of the vacation!

Len
Jeff Hanson
Posted 3/29/2013 4:36 PM (#630676 - in reply to #620877)

Hawg wobblers have been around for a long time for a reason, they are a great fish catching bait.
I like the small size early spring, then use the Husky most or the rest of the season, then use the magnum in the fall.
I have had the most fish on the husky but the biggest on the magnum up to 52.5"
make sure you put bigger hooks on the husky and magnums you will have alot better hook up rate.
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com
wallygator
Posted 3/29/2013 5:26 PM (#630685 - in reply to #620877)

Nimmers Under tow is the way to go..Can work it slow or at a fast retrieve...
Don't leave home without one or two..

Wally
bucknuts
Posted 3/29/2013 9:51 PM (#630718 - in reply to #620877)

I really like the Hawg Wobbler. My partner caught 55 incher, five years ago, on one.
I throw Weagles, a lot. Have had good luck, with them.
I ordered 2 Wolly Pogs, and waiting for them to arrive. Hopefully, it will be another favorite.
I also really like Pacemakers, and Low Riders!!
k-bob
Posted 3/30/2013 12:31 AM (#630733 - in reply to #630718)

I also prefer the Undertow. Probably the noisiest bait in the hawg wobbler style.
Krishna
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)