Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Howdy....I need some trolling basics help....

Message Subject: Howdy....I need some trolling basics help....
pondigger
Posted 1/2/2013 8:39 PM (#607020)
Subject: Howdy....I need some trolling basics help....

Howdy.....I was hoping I could get some advice on trolling basics.....I'm getting too old to throw more than half a day.....and the wife throws less than that.....we go to Sioux Narrows for a few weeks in summer.....it's a mixed trip with friends for walleye bass and pike.....we're the only ones that musky fish.....I need to learn how to troll when my shoulders are worn out.....but I really don't know what I'm doing.....If you guys can give me some direction I'd greatly appreciate it......I would like to know what types of baits are effective.....I assume that some are for deep water and some for shallow....trolling speeds?.....I've read posts here with guys trolling ranges from 1.5- 7mph.....I think my boat idles at 3.5-4mph depending on the wind....is that too fast....I have a fish and ski boat without a kicker.....the hull design isn't conducive to mounting a kicker without spending a lot of money.....other questions include....how far back to have the lures.....how much drag on the reels....do you have them looser than when you cast?....are planerboards needed.....do they have to be big since the baits are a lot bigger.....do they need special heavy duty releases?.....thought I remember seeing something about Offshore OR-18 release......thanks for any advice and letting me pick your brains.....Pondigger
horsehunter
Posted 1/2/2013 9:15 PM (#607032 - in reply to #607020)
Subject: Re: Howdy....I need some trolling basics help....

3.5 to 4 is a good starting point for trolling speed you can speed up some in warm water.
line lengths could be as short as 6 feet or as long as 150 feet or more depending on water clarity and the depth you want to work.
Pick a few proven lures in colours suited to the waters you are fishing and learn what each does at various speeds and line lengths'
A good starting point would be Believers, Grandmas, Jakes , Stalkers, Depthraiders. Hosebaits are great but pricy. Orange belly perch works in clear and stainer water.
Learn what each bait will do and the different things you can do with each before you start buying willy nilly No point in buying a bunch of lures that all do the same thing.Lures are tools
A few baits that you have confidence in is better than a box full that don't get wet
If you are allowed extra lines boards give you more spread and the Church Walleye boards will pull a Believer or Jake or Depthraider. I bought the large 44 boards but like my friends smaller boards better.
I like to start running lures back 35 feet in stained water and 80 feet in clear.
If your fishing with a buddy run your lure 10 feet closer to the boat than his

Edited by horsehunter 1/2/2013 9:29 PM
Jeff Hanson
Posted 1/2/2013 9:59 PM (#607040 - in reply to #607032)

The best thing you could do is hire a guide that is a good troller or spend alot of time in the boat with a good troller. hands on is the best way to learn. you can only learn so much from a book or reading online. Seeing how someone controls the boat (speed and depths), hooks on planner boards, fights fish, sets lines, tunes lures, has the proper trolling equipment, looks for bait or structure, is invaluble.
Good Luck
Jeff Hanson
madisonmuskyguide.com

Edited by Jeff Hanson 1/2/2013 10:04 PM
JKahler
Posted 1/2/2013 11:29 PM (#607052 - in reply to #607020)

Spinnerbaits are great for trolling shallow areas. Not sure how shallow you want to troll your boat in the Canadian Shield, planer boards might help your lower unit avoid a few rocks. 3-4mph are great all around speeds for the whole season where I fish. You have to spend a little time to fine tune what speeds they want. I set my drags a little bit lighter than when casting. Don't put the motor in neutral until the rod is in hand when you get a fish on. Sharp hooks!

Don't overthink it, it's pretty simple once you get the basics down. Work your areas good, one pass isn't good enough.

Edited by JKahler 1/2/2013 11:31 PM
FEVER
Posted 1/3/2013 8:47 AM (#607106 - in reply to #607020)

From the Web:
Shallowest rods up front & deeper rods in back. Make 2 at passes 6-8’, 8-12’, 12-20’ foot depths.
Speed 3-4 mph. Random S-Turns getting baits into the prowash. Deepest bait 7’ down. Monster Shads,
Tuff Shads, Ernie’s, Believers, Grandmas, Jakes.

Under 10-12 fow. 3 foot Flouro leader. Change bait every 30 min. for action, color.
Out Rod, longest rod, shallowest bait, longest line, straight out from boat, tip in water. 3-4 mph. S-Turns.
Down Rod, shortest rod, deepest running lure, shortest line, under 10 feet, angled straight down in water.
Good Luck, Tom
keithtrophyfishn.com
Posted 1/3/2013 9:37 AM (#607129 - in reply to #607020)
Subject: RE: Howdy....I need some trolling basics help....

On LOTW you can't go wrong with a 10" jake or a depth raider with 50ft line out. If your fish around Souix your best to use natural colours its clean water. If you go west the water gets dirtier and dirtier the further you go so bright colours are better. Stay as close as you dare to the shore line hitting any points or inside turns you see. Bottom contact is important to your seccuss on LOTW so don't be afriad of alittle banging bottom. Watch your sonar and GPS to avoid rocks wear sun glasses to see them too. Neck downs, channels and wind blown shorelines are your best bet. Or like suggested above get a guide theirs lots of us on the lake . Everyone of them is more then willing to teach you what their doing and why they do it. It also takes the stress off your shoulders. Good Luck
pondigger
Posted 1/3/2013 11:32 AM (#607178 - in reply to #607129)

If anyone knows any guides out of Sioux Narrows.....let me know.....thanks
MuskyMulisha
Posted 1/3/2013 5:16 PM (#607271 - in reply to #607020)

Sioux Narrows, very tough.. casting or trolling..
jerryb
Posted 1/4/2013 9:56 PM (#607620 - in reply to #607271)

Ponddigger,

A lot of good questions but as you probably already know all of the answers all depend on the situation at the time when were on the water and our ability to size up the situation at that time. While some will say there are no set rules I will argue that there are well defined rules and if you may, "guidelines" because if we truly want to KNOW how to troll correctly and get out ALL of what trolling will show us it's important we learn to do it right.

The greatest troller that ever lived was the late Buck Perry, however it's been said that he caught 80-90% of his fish casting, but spent 80-90% of his time trolling.... What does that tell us about the importance of learning how to troll correctly?
BenR
Posted 1/4/2013 9:58 PM (#607621 - in reply to #607620)

jerryb - 1/4/2013 9:56 PM

Ponddigger,

A lot of good questions but as you probably already know all of the answers all depend on the situation at the time when were on the water and our ability to size up the situation at that time. While some will say there are no set rules I will argue that there are well defined rules and if you may, "guidelines" because if we truly want to KNOW how to troll correctly and get out ALL of what trolling will show us it's important we learn to do it right.

The greatest troller that ever lived was the late Buck Perry, however it's been said that he caught 80-90% of his fish casting, but spent 80-90% of his time trolling.... What does that tell us about the importance of learning how to troll correctly?

I troll quite a bit, but if your percentages are correct, much of what he was looking for you can get from todays electronics. Would have saved Buck quite a bit of wasted time. BR
jerryb
Posted 1/4/2013 10:08 PM (#607623 - in reply to #607621)

Mr. Perry built one of the 1st depth meters and as he said, "what he saw on the screen was exactly what he thought it would be".

Everyone has a depth meter today, how many are as successful as Buck?
BenR
Posted 1/4/2013 10:16 PM (#607627 - in reply to #607623)

jerryb - 1/4/2013 10:08 PM

Mr. Perry built one of the 1st depth meters and as he said, "what he saw on the screen was exactly what he thought it would be".

Everyone has a depth meter today, how many are as successful as Buck?

Plenty, people are far more efficient these days. He did great in his time. I am 40 so I know who he is, but people a few years younger have no idea and catch fish at a greater pace. Times change. BR
pondigger
Posted 1/5/2013 6:18 PM (#607766 - in reply to #607627)

Thanks guys...I'll let you know how it goes.
Posted 1/6/2013 8:48 PM (#608094 - in reply to #607020)

lol change bait 30 min,you maker my day!
Shep
Posted 1/10/2013 8:03 AM (#608765 - in reply to #607620)

jerryb - 1/4/2013 9:56 PM   .....he caught 80-90% of his fish casting, but spent 80-90% of his time trolling.... What does that tell us about the importance of learning how to troll correctly?

Uhm. That would tell me he was a much better caster than troller. Or you have your numbers wrong.

Trolling is more than just tossing out a lure 50 or 80 back and washing it. You need to know and be able to efficiently run structure, have your lure(s) at the right depth, right speed, etc. This takes time, and that time can be sped up by going with a great troller and leraning from them.

jerryb
Posted 1/10/2013 11:00 PM (#608963 - in reply to #608765)

Shep,
The numbers are exactly correct.

It takes IMHO and others much more to be a good troller than it does to be a good caster. I don't want this to turn into a who's better than who thread but most can learn to cast in their own back yard. For example if we placed a chair in 5' of water and asked how many could hit it casting, most everyone here could do so in a single try, however if we placed the same chair in 50' and asked how many could hit it on the troll? I'd be willing to bet very, very few could do it with 10 trolling passes. 

In a lot of cases trolling means reaching depths that most would not check casting (muskie fishermen) and the trollers ability to control his lures or bait separates the knowledgable troller from the guy dragging baits around. Trolling is, or should be about interpreting what is below the water, the terrain or the structure situation. The trollers ability to recognize a productive spot makes him a great caster not the physical ability to toss a lure. Trolling taught Buck "Where" to cast!

Edited by jerryb 1/10/2013 11:05 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)