Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "If that muskie is 59 inches, my d*** is 14!!"
- (Added by: Maverick)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> wood type ideas

Message Subject: wood type ideas
jabird
Posted 12/14/2012 9:54 AM (#603377)
Subject: wood type ideas

Hi guys. Now that our season is over here in the North I am going to start tinkering with a jerkbait idea I have had for a while. I plan for it to dive/rise and of mass produced baits out there, will most resemble a Suick. It will have a bendable metal tail and will be weighted. I've read various posts here regarding wood type and different wood densities and was wondering what suggestions any of you might have for the kind of bait I am going to try to make. I have some Red Cedar and would like to make 3 or 4 at the same time and would like each to be a different wood so I can start to get a feel for what works and what doesn't. Your input would sure help get me started. Thanks
sirspeed
Posted 12/14/2012 7:12 PM (#603518 - in reply to #603377)
Subject: RE: wood type ideas

pine is cheep but floats well, oak is dense and hard to get a smooth finish on unless you prime it a lot, but it workx well for neutral buoyancy. Basswood is also popular and would work well for a sioux, I actually am going to try some ash wood this year and see how it workx out.
woodieb8
Posted 12/15/2012 6:43 AM (#603558 - in reply to #603377)
Subject: Re: wood type ideas

cedars hold paint the best pourous woods hold paints. hardwoods are tight graines and shed paints. if you use bass wood wire thru is the best option along with pines
jabird
Posted 12/15/2012 3:12 PM (#603638 - in reply to #603558)

Thanks for the suggestions. Are there any woods that should be avoided? I was considering either Basswood or Poplar as one of my choices. Curious as to why through wire for the Basswood? Does it tend to split?
woodieb8
Posted 12/16/2012 6:31 AM (#603698 - in reply to #603377)

bass wood is very soft. as pine screws have tendency to work loose unless epoxied to death. poplar has tendencys to swell real bad.. you can use those specie just trying to give pointers. the best woods are cedars ,balsa wired thru, mahoganys. depending on lure style also. hardwoods are slo action on crankbaits.. read and read some more. building and scrapping lures can be somewhat avoided. well its back to the bandsaw have a great day
Pikopath
Posted 12/16/2012 2:43 PM (#603772 - in reply to #603377)

I will second that poplar swells really bad, and they seem to rot...ooh the smell when I left some in a closed box, when they still were wet... The lures have nice action tho.

Michael
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)