Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Interesting Lure Modifications

Message Subject: Interesting Lure Modifications
bigmckee23
Posted 12/6/2012 3:48 PM (#601915)
Subject: Interesting Lure Modifications

I watched a video the other day and in the comments the user stated they attached a tail to a suick. I couldn't get a good look at the lure in the video, but seeing it in the water, it looked pretty sweet and seemed to attrack the fish. This is a minor example, but I was just wondering what types of lure modifications some of you make and if they've changed your results for the better. Winter is here, so I'm trying to get some ideas of possible winter projects to tackle. Appreciate any input or ideas you all are willing to provide.

Thanks!
Bigmckee23
hawkeye9
Posted 12/6/2012 5:08 PM (#601925 - in reply to #601915)
Subject: RE: Interesting Lure Modifications

What a great question to put forth. This thread has the potential of being really interesting.

I haven't really "tinkered" with many baits myself. I have added a chain of split rings to my Shallow Invaders in order to set the rear hook further back. I don't know that I've caught enough fish on them to absolutely suggest that its made a huge difference in hook-up percentage, but I certainly feel more confident in them this way.

More substantially, I have used the rather well known method of adding oil to Jakes and Grandmas in order to make them suspend. This mod, on the other hand, I believe (at least in certain conditions) is an absolutely fantastic. Plenty written here on M1 that explains the process to accomplish this.

Looking forward to someone "spilling the beans" on a gem here...
muskyhunter47
Posted 12/6/2012 5:27 PM (#601926 - in reply to #601915)
Subject: Re: Interesting Lure Modifications

i have played with the suick taking off the back trebel and putting a single hook and put a twister tail on that hook.that and the first 2 hooks i bend them so there flat to the belly
jlong
Posted 12/7/2012 8:27 AM (#602016 - in reply to #601926)

I've done a lot of tinkering with lures over the years, but this modification is one I still consistently use.  Suspending Jakes are an incredible lure.

I also reference this photo at times when wanting to kill the rattles.  Two small holes in each rattle chamber... a squirt of super glue to "lock" the rattle.... and seal up the hole with epoxy.  Quick and easy once you know where to drill.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(JakeModification.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments JakeModification.jpg (64KB - 374 downloads)
Brad P
Posted 12/7/2012 9:51 AM (#602039 - in reply to #601915)

You might better off isolating this thread to one group of lures, ie Twitch Baits or Bucktails. Tons of stuff can be tried/ has been tried.

I like to change out the tails on my Shallow Invaders. Depending on what you throw on, it changes the action and profile of the bait. I haven't decided on a favorite tail, but one thing I have noticed is that the rigidity of the soft plastic has a big impact on the action of the bait. More rigid accents the "swing" of the bait, giving it more of a erratic action. Softer gives it more wiggle, but also causes it to run more in-line. I've seen action from both ends of the pendulum. Also, more or less plastic changes the weighting of the bait, which affects bouyancy.

The Holo or glitter tape is another fun add on, great way to add flash, I set up baits for differing conditions, ie high skies or cloudy days. You can also add weight to twitch baits, like you see above in the Jake mod. (Great mod btw, I'm going to try that)
jlong
Posted 12/7/2012 9:53 AM (#602041 - in reply to #601915)

I have some old X-Ray images from my buddy Todd Forcier.  There are a few believers in the mix.

(X-Ray_2.jpg)

(XRay_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments X-Ray_2.jpg (34KB - 250 downloads)
Attachments XRay_1.jpg (31KB - 543 downloads)
MRichardson
Posted 12/7/2012 10:31 AM (#602051 - in reply to #601915)

I have some Triple D’s and Molly Baits that I cut in half just behind the middle hook hanger and epoxied in some screw eyes.  They both make for good jointed baits.

All my retired Bobbies and Suicks have the inserts for the screw in weight system in them.

Zinox
Posted 12/7/2012 12:19 PM (#602059 - in reply to #601915)

Ive added a small blade to a Suick, works great, caught several small pikes on it, but donĀ“t now if its better then before.

(suick.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments suick.jpg (57KB - 296 downloads)
Posted 12/7/2012 12:51 PM (#602066 - in reply to #602039)

What kind of tails do you add to a shallow invader?
MartinTD
Posted 12/7/2012 1:25 PM (#602076 - in reply to #602066)

Guest - 12/7/2012 12:51 PM

What kind of tails do you add to a shallow invader?

Anything you want. I've tried Octogambo grubs, Bulldawg or Tyrant tails, and Storm Wildeye Swim shad tails (cut off the original lure). The bulldawg tails and the paddle tails really give it a different action, the simple grubs - not so much.

Maybe Brad will elaborate more on what he's used.
Brad P
Posted 12/8/2012 12:38 AM (#602153 - in reply to #601915)

I've used the squirrley jake tail, but I'm looking into other options. The nice thing about the squirrley jake tail is it fits in the slot for the tail just about perfectly.
cast4musky
Posted 12/17/2012 1:05 PM (#603934 - in reply to #602016)

I am Very interested in this modification, (Jake) But I am a little confused about the Green bar and yellow circle area? where exactly do you drill? Thank You Mike Sr.

jakejusa
Posted 12/17/2012 1:28 PM (#603939 - in reply to #601915)

Simple always seems to pay off the best on modifications. I notice allot of guys make mods just to make mods. My personnal opinion is that a modification is perfected over time to answer a specific on the water need. One of my favorites is a simple split ring and bell sinkers. You can not only add weight to a bait you can place it for different balnce points. Change the weight sizes and remove when wanted. Along the same theme baby willow blades added to a split ring and onto a bait make a noise maker out of a quiet bait. I carry a box with x-tra hooks, rings, weights, blades, wires, shrink tubing, etc... right in the boat. Who else has some simplified modifications they have faith in?
MD75
Posted 12/17/2012 2:08 PM (#603944 - in reply to #601915)

I've had good luck trimming the hair back on small bucktails to change the profile. They don't look pretty but they work great!

Matt
jlong
Posted 12/18/2012 7:35 AM (#604070 - in reply to #603934)

cast4musky - 12/17/2012 1:05 PM I am Very interested in this modification, (Jake) But I am a little confused about the Green bar and yellow circle area? where exactly do you drill? Thank You Mike Sr.

The yellow circle is the location of the hole to drill that will be used to insert the lead weights.  The green bar depicts the pencil lead location.  If you don't have pencil lead, you can insert small egg sinkers or split shot but they are more difficult to glue in place and filling the bait with foam is a better option.

Brad P
Posted 12/18/2012 8:58 AM (#604086 - in reply to #601915)

Jlong are you just using the spray in foam insulation they sell at Home Depot or is it something else?

I'm interested in using foam on my shallow invaders to make one of them more bouyant, in addition to the Jake mod.
jlong
Posted 12/18/2012 1:12 PM (#604144 - in reply to #604086)

Brad... I use "great stuff" for foam.  It is the nastiest stuff to work with... but great results.  I've found the best way to fill a chamber is to drill two holes... one for the spraying the gunk in and another smaller hole to vent the air for a full, even fill.

Also... foam will not make the lure more bouyant.  A chamber of air is more bouyant than a chamber filled with foam (encapsulated air).  Foam will, however prevent or reduce the impact of water leaks.  Originally, I liked the foam because it will kill the rattle.

Brett Carroll
Posted 1/7/2013 9:52 PM (#608360 - in reply to #601915)

I take the middle hook off of a pacemaker and add split rings until they hit the prop when it goes around. It's a different sound that I have done really well with.
phishmasta
Posted 1/11/2013 2:52 PM (#609109 - in reply to #601915)

Here's an idea i just had last night, I wonder if anyone has ever tried this, I know i haven't seen it anywhere...Anyone ever try drilling some holes in the blades on their cowgirls, showgirls, or spinnerbaits? I would imagine that it would cause a bubble trail behind the lure and attract more fish, but who knows...
Weevil
Posted 1/11/2013 4:27 PM (#609132 - in reply to #609109)

phishmasta - 1/11/2013 2:52 PM

Here's an idea i just had last night, I wonder if anyone has ever tried this, I know i haven't seen it anywhere...Anyone ever try drilling some holes in the blades on their cowgirls, showgirls, or spinnerbaits? I would imagine that it would cause a bubble trail behind the lure and attract more fish, but who knows...

Great idea!
Brett Carroll
Posted 1/12/2013 6:36 PM (#609298 - in reply to #601915)

If anyone tries the drilling of a hole in a cowgirl post on here what it did. I have a number of them but don't want to screw the lure up if it doesn't work right.

Hope it works!...starting to wonder if all the fish see are D10s and Dawgs!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)