Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Baromatric Presure and fishing?

Message Subject: Baromatric Presure and fishing?

Posted 12/12/2002 10:45 AM (#5623)
Subject: Baromatric Presure and fishing?

Just a thought today while I was feeding my pet fish witch happens to be a ½ pound Chilid. Fish looks like a Rock bass. Anyway, I have noticed that at times the fish feeds heaver and more aggressive then other times. Sometimes he will feed very little or only when I move away from the tank and at others he will almost take it out of my fingers!

I started to think about what might cause this. At one time we never used to regulate the tank temp and he would slow down with big drops of water temp and feed heavy when the temp was up and steady. Now we keep the tank at a constant temp and the new pattern developed mentioned in the first paragraph. This made me think about barometric pressure and its effect on fishing. For the next month I will be recording the barometric pressure at feeding time and how the fish reacts. I feed him once in the morning and sometimes he his looking for more at noon in which I will feed him again. I rarely feed him at night meaning around 6 but I will try then as well.

What I hope to find form this is a correlation between heavy aggressive feeding and barometric pressure. I know it is only a Chilid, but it is a fish and I am hopping to use the results to help my Muskie fish as well as other species. For example… Do I aggressively cast or troll lures fast looking for aggressive feeding fish or do I slow down and work Good locations slow and methodically hoping to get a neutral or negative fish to bite.

Has there been any research down on this besides the one I am about to attempt? What is everyone elses thoughts on this?

Cory Toker

Posted 12/12/2002 11:36 AM (#52926)

Cory,
I love the fact that you are taking the intiative to do your own experiment. In my opinion, observation is a great form of research for some of these extremely complex topics. The impact of barometric pressure has been discussed in the thread below entitled "beer can barometers" but that discussion focused on theory and speculation. I look forward to you sharing your observations with us and then we can all have fun trying to explain them (ha ha).

Your idea for how to apply any "knowledge" obtained from your experiment is exactly how I would try to use it.

Good luck and please share your observations with us. Maybe even create a diary of your observations right here on the message board for all of us to play with and comment on. Could be a fun way to pass the winter months.

jlong

Posted 12/12/2002 2:40 PM (#52927)

Yes Jlong, that sounds like a good idea! I will post a diary of my findings on a day bye day basis so everyone can track it.

Cory Toker[:)]
lobi
Posted 4/16/2004 11:20 PM (#104337 - in reply to #5623)
Subject: RE: Baromatric Presure and fishing?

Cory, Did you ever get any good data from the Barometric changes and feeding habits?
Ranger
Posted 4/17/2004 12:54 AM (#104347 - in reply to #104337)
Subject: RE: Baromatric Presure and fishing?

Cory - search the threads for the topic, I asked a question re: such last year. Lots of good info.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)