Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Decent reel for throwing pounders.

Message Subject: Decent reel for throwing pounders.
Tejayyy
Posted 12/4/2012 5:15 PM (#601489)
Subject: Decent reel for throwing pounders.

I am new to musky fishing, and I really want to get into the sport. I have recently picked up a musky innovations super magnum rod for 99.99 from gander mountain. (rated 4-16oz lures) and i'm looking for a reel to slap on it that isn't going to break the bank. I hear a lot of talk about the Calcutta 400TE. Although I really like the reel I am not ready to fork out 220$ for it. I am looking for a reel that is around the 150 range that is able to throw pounders. I don't expect the reel to be indestructible. I am not going to be throwing huge rubbers like that all the time. I will be throwing a wide range of different lures from double cowgirls to plastics and topwater. I just want a reel that will be able to throw all of them and have the power to throw the heavier baits like pounders when that is what they are biting on. Like I said I am new to musky fishing so I am open to any tips or feedback. Thankyou.
fishfirst92
Posted 12/4/2012 5:19 PM (#601490 - in reply to #601489)
Subject: Re: Decent reel for throwing pounders.

Okuma Isis 400. Will handle everything. Geared at 5.1 to 1. Exactly like a Calcutta 400te except cheaper. I was in your position ans this Okuma was the best decision I made. EBay I got one for 150 bud
Posted 12/4/2012 5:52 PM (#601495 - in reply to #601489)
Subject: RE: Decent reel for throwing pounders.

Where is this $220 TE? I'll buy it! Get a Daiwa saltist 20 with a level wind. Throw 100# Cortland materbraid on it and you're good to go.
Propster
Posted 12/4/2012 7:41 PM (#601524 - in reply to #601489)
Subject: Re: Decent reel for throwing pounders.

You don't need "power" in a reel to throw or retrieve big rubber baits. They have very little resistance. I use an Isis for dawgs myself. However, to say an Isis is exactly like a TE except cheaper is not even remotely accurate in my opinion. The TE dies have the same 5.1:1 gear ratio, but has a much larger drive gear and therefore is much easier to retrieve high resistance baits such as cowgirls. So while I agree the Isis works okay for rubber, it does not work nearly as well for other applications. I'll bet the Calcutta you were referring to for $220 is the Calcutta B, not the TE.
Tejayyy
Posted 12/4/2012 8:07 PM (#601532 - in reply to #601489)

You are correct about the Calcutta not being a TE my mistake.
Top H2O
Posted 12/4/2012 8:49 PM (#601547 - in reply to #601532)

Saltist 30/20
Revo toro Winch
Trinadad 14 (For freezing weather)
400te (best)
Spool it with 100lb test line.
Chuck away!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread