Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> The Perfect Leader

Message Subject: The Perfect Leader
cast4musky
Posted 10/10/2012 9:34 AM (#590015)
Subject: The Perfect Leader

I am just wondering if someone was to make custom fluorocarbon leaders for you. What would be your first choice for Fluorocarbon, what length and lb.and what size, and who's Snaps would you prefer? I have always used 100 Floro,and Stay Loc #4 Seems like it may be a little light....Curious.....
Brad P
Posted 10/10/2012 9:56 AM (#590018 - in reply to #590015)
Subject: Re: The Perfect Leader

Wind-On Hollow Ace system. But it is more than one leader, some examples:

I'm using a 4 foot leader with a swivel and stay lock for bucktails. Biggest advantage is the sound change when it hits the guides, a great que to start the figure 8, which has enhanced my consisteny. With this set up you can figure 8 an all black SM every time in total darkness. Very cool. Also helps during long hours when you lose focus. That change reminds you when to start your 8, every time.

On my glider rod I've gone with a 24" set up with a single solid ring. I attach my gliders with a split ring and have seen a significant increase in the action of my baits with less overall hanging, ie I can pause just a hair longer for more wobble. I'm still experimenting with this one, but so far I've been very pleased over the more standard wire leader you see used for gliders.

Once I pick up some heavier flouro this off season I'm going to work on a set up for Rubber, probably similar to the bucktail leader, but it will be 150# or heavier flouro vs. the 130# I'm using in the above examples.
Marshall
Posted 10/10/2012 10:12 AM (#590020 - in reply to #590015)

Brad, what knot do you use to tie the Fluor to the braid so that it slides smoothly through you eyelets? Thanks.
Zinox
Posted 10/10/2012 10:15 AM (#590021 - in reply to #590015)

@Brad.
So you tie the braid directly to the Leader, and then have a swivel and stey lock in the same end of the leader, so the leader runs clear through rod guieds?
Brad P
Posted 10/10/2012 12:12 PM (#590050 - in reply to #590015)

No knot, the flouro slides up inside the hollow ace. The connection is based on friction, much like a chinese finger trap. You must also wrap the flouro/ braid MANY times as well as using some glue and half hitches to keep a strong connection. BTurg put up a video on his blog at the Thorne site that has the details of the system which I followed. I STRONGLY reccomend watching that as there are several nit picky details that need to be done right or you will donate the whole apparatus to the deep. I learned the hard way...

I'm using a loop to loop connection for running the hollow ace to my mainline. You can created a loop in the hollow ace by threading it into itself. For the mainline I'm using a Surgeon's Loop. I perform the loop to loop at least 4 times. Next season I'm debating on just spooling my reels with a hollow core line to eliminate this end of it. For my glider rod this will be a no brainer, but for the Tranx I've noticed the tighter wound lines cast better so I might still do the loop to loop thing. Just not sure how the hollow ace compares to 832 or the slick.

Another tip would be to test your leader once it is assembled. I did this by using a snap and attaching it to the pin holding my hitch on my van. Pull until a locked down drag gives up line.
cast4musky
Posted 10/10/2012 7:09 PM (#590140 - in reply to #590015)

Seems very complicated .....will look at it on TB's website..
MikeHulbert
Posted 10/10/2012 7:24 PM (#590142 - in reply to #590015)

the PERFECT leader??? Stealth Tackle already makes it...it's the 150 lb flouro leader, made with Seaguar, it's tied, crimped and glued...plus they come with stay loc snaps and the best swivels I have ever used. Best leader on the market in my opinion for any style of fishing. I use these for everything...bucktails, topwater, rubber, twitch baits, gliders, etc....
fishhawk50
Posted 10/10/2012 9:32 PM (#590174 - in reply to #590015)

Leaders and Lures flouro leaders.. get em at Smokey's in pewaukee
cast4musky
Posted 10/11/2012 8:39 AM (#590215 - in reply to #590015)

That wind on hollow is very similar to what i used to use years ago Fly fishing....Looks pretty nice I may give it a try..I did use glue on mine years ago just to play safe...this looks very Interesting...............Thanks Mike
edalz
Posted 10/11/2012 8:40 AM (#590216 - in reply to #590015)

Call John from Stealth.
Zib
Posted 10/11/2012 9:00 AM (#590220 - in reply to #590015)
Subject: RE: The Perfect Leader

I'll second the Wind on Hollow Ace system. On clear lakes like St. Clair having that longer leader turns followers into biters.

Here's video on how to tie the Wind on Hollow Ace leader: http://youtu.be/o2ecocBXTeI

jonnysled
Posted 10/11/2012 9:30 AM (#590225 - in reply to #590220)

learned that system from Ron Barefield at AML a few years ago and used it this year for the first time ... it's a fantastic system!! great how-to video Bob! ... bookmarked!!
Mojo1269
Posted 10/11/2012 10:00 AM (#590228 - in reply to #590225)

I use the hollow Ace system too and it works awesome.... I have some reels spooled with Hollow Ace (LJV's & TE' Calcutta's) and others (Trinidad's & Currado's with lighter line) I just bridle the leader to a surgeons loop on the main line. I still have Stealth Leaders on some set ups but for most applications its my prefrred option these days.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)