Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Bucher Shallow raider Problem

Message Subject: Bucher Shallow raider Problem
FishingFool
Posted 10/4/2012 12:03 PM (#588954)
Subject: Bucher Shallow raider Problem

I have a 9 inch Bucher Shallow Raider that has split open about 1/3 from the head.I can bend the lure at the break and open it up. I am very hard on my plastic cranks,I break the lips off of Jakes about 3 times a year,Grandmas don't stand a chance with me... I SMASH them into rocks,cement barriers and anything else that is under the water.(pretty cool strikes when a po'd musky hits your lure)... Anyway, the lip is roughed up a bit and I did bend the rear hook hanger,not a big deal with me,BUT I have NOT smashed,bashed or hit the lure anywhere near the break. Was I being too rough on JB's lure? I plan on doing a thorough test next time I am out,I will hit the walls and smash the shallow rocks and see if it was a fluke or a something else. I gotta mention the paint jobs do not hold up worth a darn either!!! So,should I send it back or keep it as a momento of in your face/smash em and bash em musky fishing? Thanks!
CiscoKid
Posted 10/4/2012 1:21 PM (#588974 - in reply to #588954)
Subject: RE: Bucher Shallow raider Problem

Hearing how you fish a bait I don't think you should expect a mfg'r to replace the bait. A bait breaking or paint coming off while not hitting anything is one thing, but doing what you described is another. The force of the lip hitting the various objects you describe can make the bait bust anywhere as the force will travel and expose the weakest area first. Thus you don’t have to hit the bait where it is breaking for it to break there.
Tackle Industries
Posted 10/4/2012 4:28 PM (#589018 - in reply to #588954)
Subject: Re: Bucher Shallow raider Problem

I had a guy who smashed one of my Sea Calf lures against everything. He caught 2 nice fish after only a few hours of use on the lures (then the tail broke). He sent me pictures and I traded him a new lure for the use of the pictures and a picture of the lure. You might get something With this said, lures (plastic or wood) will all break if you do this to them. Personally if I knew I would catch a nice fish but had to sacrifice a lure for each one I would do it in a second! Keep doing what works for you and what is fun but realize you will probably not get a free replacement lure for over stressing your tackle. JMO
James
FishingFool
Posted 10/4/2012 7:21 PM (#589049 - in reply to #589018)

Thanks for the replies! I didn't know by hitting a lip would cause the middle to split. As far as paint goes,if it is near a point of contact,nota problem,if is nowhere near the point,problem!
I know I am hard on some lures,I expect damage.I have never sent one back because of my own doings. If they break or can't perform durring regular straight fishing then I have no problems sending them back. I had a glider split in two a few weeks ago because it hit/landed on a rock, I could not ask the lure maker to replace it because I was the one who caused it to break.Too bad,I liked the lure and color...My loss. Thanks again,
5th lake Brad
Posted 10/4/2012 9:10 PM (#589068 - in reply to #588954)

I thought the big shallow raider held up way better than expected. After deliberately throwing it at reefs and rocks, and ripping the s#%t out of it, it's still doing OK. As far as the paint, mine held up ok. Hook rash took it right off though. Looking forward to using it more soon. Great bait. I like that the couple I have, have rattles. Will probably not buy another if they don't come back to rattles.
Jeff Hanson
Posted 10/5/2012 9:48 AM (#589144 - in reply to #589068)

Fishing fool. if you like to fish that way try a MX9 from muskie train. you will not be able to break lip. 3 years ago i was sent a proto type to test strength of in canada at eagle lake. I smashed it into reefs casting. trolled it into reefs and rocks at 5mph and could not break it. has been good for me casting and trolling. Biggest fish last 3 years in my boat have been on them. It is a handmade wood bait.
good luck
Jeff
milje
Posted 10/5/2012 10:01 AM (#589149 - in reply to #589144)

Jeff Hanson - 10/5/2012 9:48 AM

Fishing fool. if you like to fish that way try a MX9 from muskie train. you will not be able to break lip. 3 years ago i was sent a proto type to test strength of in canada at eagle lake. I smashed it into reefs casting. trolled it into reefs and rocks at 5mph and could not break it. has been good for me casting and trolling. Biggest fish last 3 years in my boat have been on them.
good luck
Jeff

Just looked these up, very interesting, might have to order a few.

I just got a 9" shallow raider last weekend and so far I like it, really good action and put a fish in the boat on the first trip. Will keep an eye out for damage. It doesn't bother me that much if a lure breaks after a few fish, I figure a nice musky is worth the price, but my depth raiders have held up great to a lot of abuse. I'd hope for the same with a shallow raider.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)