Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> What rod would you use for throwing pounders

Message Subject: What rod would you use for throwing pounders
Vince Weirick
Posted 10/7/2012 2:53 AM (#589419 - in reply to #589207)
Subject: RE: What rod would you use for throwing pounders

Landry - 10/5/2012 4:19 PM

Cast said: I tend to agree with this. And the issue, to those who are wondering, is that guys who actually pay for their equipment come here for straight talk and objective information. I'm not suggesting sponsored guys aren't entitled to give their opinions, it's just a little disclosure goes a long way toward credibility.

Thanks. That was my point exactly. You said it better. I have no grudge with sponsored guys.
I was not aiming this at Vince in any way either.
Not trying to fire anyone up in any way.'Have a great fishing weekend
Landry

Landry...none taken at all...didn't even cross my mind. I just wanted to state that anyone commenting on my rods is not on my pro staff/guide program on this site.
Alessio B.
Posted 10/7/2012 4:35 AM (#589421 - in reply to #588750)
Subject: Re: What rod would you use for throwing pounders

for people that prefere shorter rods and only for huge lures I use the 7'9'' 30 oz. st. croix whith the toro winch 61..... not expensive combo and efficient.
gregk9
Posted 10/7/2012 10:40 AM (#589453 - in reply to #589265)

Top H2O - 10/5/2012 8:41 PM

Thorne Bro's Predator 9ft. xh,...... Extremely light weight,..... Been throwing Pounders for about 7 yrs. and this is the best one I have used.
I plan on replacing all other rods with predators..... They are that good.

I am NOT sponsored but I fish for Muskies about 700+ hrs per yr.

Jerome

Good to know. Like my TI rod but honestly have nothing to compare it with for pounders. Might try one of these.
sworrall
Posted 10/7/2012 12:07 PM (#589465 - in reply to #588750)

'I really think that people sponsored by companies should let us know they are sponsored when suggesting "their brand".'

Why? If they ARE 'sponsored', they obviously like the equipment, and help improve it regularly. There's #*^@ed little difference between the fierce loyalty one sees when someone lays out a bunch of cash buying a product (since they bought it and own it and it works as advertised it's the best) and those who have to work for the company to acquire a rod or reel. It's NOT free, so get that out of your head, and most anglers who are in a position to acquire a working relationship with a company wouldn't use sub-par gear for long. If Jerry Sondag or Doug Johnson or Norm Wild or Jeff Hanson tells me a particular rod suits the needs exactly, I will tend to accept those opinion as worthy, they are on the water MUCH more than most.
esoxaddict
Posted 10/7/2012 12:57 PM (#589472 - in reply to #588750)

It's double edged sword. People with sponsorship agreements have a duty to promote those products, in exchange for a discount (not as much as you might think) on said products. The manufacturers get the opportunity to have their stuff out there in the hands of guides and their clients, which will hopefully lead to more sales. The best way to test your products is to put them in the hands of someone who will use them more, more often, and put them through way more abuse than the average angler. If something is going to go wrong, they will find it. And they will tell you about it. I have yet to find anyone who will promote a product that hasn't performed well, or anyone who will continue to fish with a product that is sub-par. Try asking them some time. "How do you like that _______?" Better yet, ask them again next year.

I think you'll find that the assessments are pretty honest no matter what name is on their hat. I've been steered away from many products that I would have otherwise bought, and had many "yeah, mine broke too" conversations with folks who have sponsors.

Pretty simple really. Someone who fishes twice a year will tell you that all their stuff is great. Someone who fishes 200 days a year probably has a garage full of stuff that isn't.
Landry
Posted 10/7/2012 2:08 PM (#589482 - in reply to #589472)

Guess I hit a nerve. Didn't mean to though.
I will say that all of the people who are sponsors of this site are very transparent so it wasn't a dig at your clients or your site.
sworrall
Posted 10/7/2012 2:26 PM (#589486 - in reply to #588750)

You didn't hit a nerve at all, I was pointing out a Pro using gear provided by sponsors is not a negative, or makes that person any less credible, they use and believe in the product and are on the water more than most. Some folks think the endorsement is insincere, and there's the rub.

If a Pro places his/her reputation on the line endorsing a product, both the Pro AND the product need to meet the public's expectations.
ranger6
Posted 10/7/2012 9:50 PM (#589566 - in reply to #589486)

Just one more point....Any forum is a great place to source opinions based on user input. However, everyone's personal preference varies based on what they desire from equipment. What I consider optimal for me may not be what some else does. I stronly suggest finding a way to "test drive" before you buy. You can probably find a handful of guys on this site that fish your waters that would be happy to let you take a few casts and get the feel of their rod. I have also done the same at the launch just by asking.
Ole Nørskov
Posted 10/8/2012 2:53 PM (#589684 - in reply to #588750)

Thank you everyone! I think I got an idea about what rod to buy now

kind regards Ole
Brad P
Posted 10/8/2012 3:25 PM (#589687 - in reply to #589566)

ranger6 - 10/7/2012 9:50 PM

Just one more point....Any forum is a great place to source opinions based on user input. However, everyone's personal preference varies based on what they desire from equipment. What I consider optimal for me may not be what some else does. I stronly suggest finding a way to "test drive" before you buy. You can probably find a handful of guys on this site that fish your waters that would be happy to let you take a few casts and get the feel of their rod. I have also done the same at the launch just by asking.

This is a great point, and to add a layer of complexity, I would imagine that depending on the body of water people will fish the same baits differently. I had my eyes opened to this last offseason at the Road Rules event. All the guides who fished Northern MN waters HATED milfoil vs. all the guides in the metro who loved it. Differnent style of fishing/ different circumstances. I am certain both types of guides have a valid opinion on gear, but one might be more relevant to the buyer depending on where and how he/she fishes.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)