Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> issue resolved please delete

Message Subject: issue resolved please delete
MuskieCat94
Posted 10/2/2012 2:40 PM (#588508)
Subject: issue resolved please delete

issue resolved please delete

thanks for any input
Flambeauski
Posted 10/2/2012 3:07 PM (#588511 - in reply to #588508)
Subject: Re: Help! Damaged rod through USPS.. what to do?

Not your problem. The shipper is responsible for shipping damage. Contact the shipper and let them know what happened. They purchased the insurance (if any) they packaged it and shipped it. If they were smart they wouldn't have used USPS, as they rarely pay insurance claims and are the least reliable of all shipping agents.
MuskieCat94
Posted 10/2/2012 3:11 PM (#588513 - in reply to #588511)

Have contacted the shipper and I thought it would be handled a little better since I have been a good customer thus far, will see what happens. thanks
Posted 10/2/2012 3:40 PM (#588520 - in reply to #588508)
Subject: RE: Help! Damaged rod through USPS.. what to do?

are you talking UPS or the Post Office (USPS)?
MuskieCat94
Posted 10/2/2012 3:54 PM (#588523 - in reply to #588520)

usps - postal service
bowhunter29
Posted 10/2/2012 5:38 PM (#588542 - in reply to #588508)

It's definitely up to the shipper to make things right. If he didn't insure the rods, that's his fault.

I had UPS bust a custom rod I built for a customer. They wouldn't honor anything and I had't yet learned about 3rd party insurance. I did what I thought was the right thing and built another rod for the guy- no charge. It's not up to the customer to make anything right, that falls on the custom builder.

jeremy
archerynut36
Posted 10/2/2012 7:12 PM (#588559 - in reply to #588508)

i have always used upsor fed-ex they automaticly start it off with 100.00 insurance right off the bat
Tackle Industries
Posted 10/3/2012 7:40 AM (#588643 - in reply to #588508)

I have spent near $500k shipping tackle to date. Here is my opinion on major shippers:

USPS: 99% of the time will NEVER honor insurance. Ex: I had a $400 package lost to the Netherlands. Even the postal service in the Netherlands confirmed the package was lost or destroyed and I got a letter from them stating this. The USPS said it was delivered...This was after 6 appeals. After this, I moved about 40% of my shipping away form the USPS and it has cost them at least $30k-$40k to date...

UPS: Will honor their insurance about 70% of the time but it is a real pain the the ars to get them to do anything. Same deal as the USPS....I moved all major rod shipping over to FedEx about 3 years ago and my estimation is that UPS has lost about $40k in shipping and that was over a $16.16 insurance claim and they knew I would move my business if they did not pay(they did not pay and even the customer service guy said it was 100% UPS fault). Proved to me they did not care at all. The brown color they use in their logo does stand for their service as well

FedEx: I must say FedEx was, and is, one of my best shipping companies I have. They have denied maybe 2 claims out of about 60 rods broken over 3 years. They are fantastic and their customer service is 2nd to none! They go out of their way to cover claims and if any re-routing needs to occur to get an item to a customer they do everything they can to make it happen. IMO go with FedEx whenever you can. My only issue with them is they are a little $$$ on rod shipment.

SpeeDees: Fantastic service and the lowest prices for ANYTHING by far. They break about 50% less rods vs FedEx but they do not pay out very much on insurance claims. I do have to eat it with them a lot but the lower shipping over time makes up for the lack of insurance payouts so they get high marks from me and I use them whenever I can for anything above 1lb in the Midwest. They are also very very fast for delivery. Accuracy for delivery is about 98% but when they mis-deliver they do go back out and really try to get your package to the correct address.

High marks for both FedEx and SpeeDees.

JMO,
James
Flambeauski
Posted 10/3/2012 9:04 AM (#588656 - in reply to #588643)

Tackle Industries - 10/3/2012 7:40 AM

I have spent near $500k shipping tackle to date. Here is my opinion on major shippers:

USPS: 99% of the time will NEVER honor insurance. Ex: I had a $400 package lost to the Netherlands. Even the postal service in the Netherlands confirmed the package was lost or destroyed and I got a letter from them stating this. The USPS said it was delivered...This was after 6 appeals. After this, I moved about 40% of my shipping away form the USPS and it has cost them at least $30k-$40k to date...

UPS: Will honor their insurance about 70% of the time but it is a real pain the the ars to get them to do anything. Same deal as the USPS....I moved all major rod shipping over to FedEx about 3 years ago and my estimation is that UPS has lost about $40k in shipping and that was over a $16.16 insurance claim and they knew I would move my business if they did not pay(they did not pay and even the customer service guy said it was 100% UPS fault). Proved to me they did not care at all. The brown color they use in their logo does stand for their service as well

FedEx: I must say FedEx was, and is, one of my best shipping companies I have. They have denied maybe 2 claims out of about 60 rods broken over 3 years. They are fantastic and their customer service is 2nd to none! They go out of their way to cover claims and if any re-routing needs to occur to get an item to a customer they do everything they can to make it happen. IMO go with FedEx whenever you can. My only issue with them is they are a little $$$ on rod shipment.

SpeeDees: Fantastic service and the lowest prices for ANYTHING by far. They break about 50% less rods vs FedEx but they do not pay out very much on insurance claims. I do have to eat it with them a lot but the lower shipping over time makes up for the lack of insurance payouts so they get high marks from me and I use them whenever I can for anything above 1lb in the Midwest. They are also very very fast for delivery. Accuracy for delivery is about 98% but when they mis-deliver they do go back out and really try to get your package to the correct address.

High marks for both FedEx and SpeeDees.

JMO,
James

This is EXACTLY my experience as well.
Midwest: Spedee
Rest of the US: Fedex
Out of country: UPS
Postal: Never!
gunnr
Posted 10/3/2012 10:01 AM (#588670 - in reply to #588656)

I wouldn't send an anvil through the post office and expect it to get there in one piece!! I bought a rod through someone on here and when I picked it up at the post office, the cardboard tube was literally broke in half. When I said something to the clerk, she said they must have shipped it that way!!....really? Luckily, the rod somehow managed to survive but that was lesson enough for me. Good luck with your situation Bryce.
MuskieCat94
Posted 10/3/2012 10:29 AM (#588676 - in reply to #588670)

ya this is a crappy situation for me down to 1 rod, I am the one who suffers from someone elses mistakes! I wont be dealing much with USPS anymore.
Lesson learned the hard way.. After having custom made rods its hard to go in any other direction just wish i had the $$ to grab another rod before the season is over!

thanks for all your input guys

on a bright note I did catch my first fish on the 8 last night. Not sure if its our lake but very rare up here to get a tiger on the 8.
Flambeauski
Posted 10/3/2012 11:24 AM (#588698 - in reply to #588508)

You shouldn't have to pay for someone else's mistake in this situation.
Building custom rods is an art, selling them is a business. Some builders are good at one and not the other. You'll pay for the ones who are good at both, you'll pay less up front for those that aren't but it will cost you in the long run.
Tigers on the 8 are rare anywhere. Nice work.
Baby Mallard
Posted 10/3/2012 11:26 AM (#588699 - in reply to #588676)

For what it's worth, I've had a rod delivered damaged to me by Speedee. Speedee did not cover any of the cost to repair.
Flambeauski
Posted 10/3/2012 11:45 AM (#588703 - in reply to #588508)

They don't owe you anything. They owe the shipper. The shipper is responsible for shipping damage.
Here's how it works: I charge you $100 for a rod and ship it to you. Rod's broken by shipping company. You call ME, not the shipping company. I send you another rod or refund you, then I call shipping company and file a claim. You are entitled to NOTHING from the shipping company.
Ronix
Posted 10/3/2012 11:57 AM (#588706 - in reply to #588508)

so the shipper/builder is not going to help you out in any way? haven't you bought a bunch from him?
MuskieCat94
Posted 10/3/2012 12:19 PM (#588710 - in reply to #588703)

Flambeauski - you are right, its just the way USPS handled the situation when they said he could "not see any damage" which was funny but you are right.
MartinTD
Posted 10/3/2012 12:29 PM (#588713 - in reply to #588508)

In my experience, the customer is not liable for any damage until the rod has been delivered and is in your hand. Any rod builder that does not operate that way is just bad business. If the builder is really saying it's out of his hands, in my opinion that may even warrant calling him out on it here (untit it gets deleted), so that other's don't fall into the same predicament.
Flambeauski
Posted 10/3/2012 12:31 PM (#588714 - in reply to #588508)

I hear you, I was responding to Baby Mallard's post.
USPS service will make your hair gray. Insurance through them is a scam.
kodiak
Posted 10/3/2012 12:52 PM (#588718 - in reply to #588714)

uhhh what? not cool man...remember that fenwick that got smoked about a year ago i sent you lol...i shipped it that way...AHAH
MuskieCat94
Posted 10/3/2012 2:08 PM (#588738 - in reply to #588508)

Just to clarify, this thread was not meant to blame anyone but rather find information on what I should do.. I have never had anything damaged from shipping that was insured so this was a first time experience.

I appreciate everyones input

thanks

bryce
RStien321
Posted 10/3/2012 3:08 PM (#588754 - in reply to #588508)

I had an instance where I sold a bass rod and shipped it via UPS a few years back. I packaged the rod in a schedule 40 PVC tube and put "Fragile Do Not Place on Conveyers" stickers all over the tube. UPS somehow managed to break a schedule 40 PVC tube and the St. Croix Legend Xtreme inside it.

UPS claimed the rod was "not packaged properly." I flat out refused to take that as answer and appealed and appealed until I was able to get the value refunded. Don't take no for an answer especially when you are in the right. The fact that I have to pay a shipping company to make sure my stuff arrives in one piece is utter garbage.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)