Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Tranx

Message Subject: Tranx
Badgerpat1
Posted 8/26/2012 5:14 PM (#580977 - in reply to #574420)
Subject: Re: Tranx

What color of the slick are you guys buying?
gtp888
Posted 8/27/2012 6:27 AM (#581059 - in reply to #580752)

PIKEMASTER - 8/25/2012 8:19 AM
Musky Brian - 8/24/2012 2:26 PM
BNelson - 7/28/2012 8:56 AM interesting comments about the tranx on here....I have a HIgh speed version, spooled w 80 lb bronzeback and it casts as far and as smooth as any shimano TE or abu Revo Toro I have....rarely backlashes if ever...I have about 125 hours of use on it this season with about 12 fish in the net to 48" and couldn't be happier...buddy of mine came down in May from MN and used it the entire 3 days here was here and he loved it as well.....I put a 16NA handle on it right when I got it (put the stock handle on 6.4 toro 60, rocks!) and it pulls in blades as good/better than my previous gold trini or 16NA.... not sure why guys are having problems w cast length? could be the rod???? I did have my handle wobbling on the shaft but figured out my nut was on wrong and i needed another washer in back i forgot to put on....are they $300 better than a Saltist.... ? probably not...but I like not having to flip the lever dealio... I would buy another if I needed one......
Just to bring this one back....Took BN's advice and threw the Tranx on a Big Nasty, also changed the line from 101 PP to 80 Masterbraid....Pretty big difference it made on cast length and overall comfort. Found it pretty hard to put the rod down....I also noticed how much speed I was getting without even trying, had to "burn" tails on 400 b's to keep up with the standard speed i was getting on the Tranx.....Definitely is not a "mandatory" setup by any means but I will find it hard to go back to throwing some of the more cost effective combos I have used in the past.....
Try 80lb Power Pro SLICK 100times better then Masterbraid.

Pikemaster, what do you like better about PP Sllck that you feel makes it better than Masterbraid?  Thanks in advance for the info.

PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/27/2012 6:39 AM (#581060 - in reply to #574420)

The SLICK line is 8 weave, which makes the line smooth, no rod guide noise, and the line holds good color and is so smooth it will out cast the older lines. Holds very little water and has not frayed like alot of lines do after a couple months of use.
gtp888
Posted 8/27/2012 8:42 AM (#581071 - in reply to #581060)

PIKEMASTER - 8/27/2012 6:39 AM The SLICK line is 8 weave, which makes the line smooth, no rod guide noise, and the line holds good color and is so smooth it will out cast the older lines. Holds very little water and has not frayed like alot of lines do after a couple months of use.

Thanks much!

PIKEMASTER
Posted 8/27/2012 11:42 AM (#581096 - in reply to #580977)

Badgerpat1 - 8/26/2012 5:14 PM

What color of the slick are you guys buying?

Timber Brown for stain water
Aqua Green or Marine Blue for clear or green water

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(aqua_green_image_-image_dash_125_94.jpg)

(marine_blue_image_-image_dash_125_94.jpg)

(timber_brown_image_-image_dash_125_94.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments aqua_green_image_-image_dash_125_94.jpg (10KB - 146 downloads)
Attachments marine_blue_image_-image_dash_125_94.jpg (10KB - 138 downloads)
Attachments timber_brown_image_-image_dash_125_94.jpg (9KB - 139 downloads)
BNelson
Posted 10/3/2012 2:09 PM (#588739 - in reply to #574420)

Tried that Power Pro Slick line on my tranx... It doesn't hold barely any water...which when you are casting in the summer sure does suck after a few days/week long trip the skin on my thumb (i thumb the spool) burned and ended up cracking bad ...yah I'll stick w 80 lb master braid...I will not use that Slick stuff again....sometimes holding a bit of water has it's advantages.
cast4musky
Posted 10/4/2012 7:25 AM (#588885 - in reply to #574420)

Most fisherman once they spend $500 are of course going to tell you they love the reel. No one is going to announce that they may have made a mistake and rushed into their purchase...Is it worth the Money, probably not as this winter there will be a New Daiwa line out that will compete one on one wiith the Tranx reel. It promises to have the same power and line retrieval speed as the Tranx, but half the weight ,and anawesome great Drag system,llevel wind with easy cast ability, palming size, and you will still have $200 in your pocket. It's just like the guy driving the same car as you but he swears he gets 30-32 MPG on a regular basis, when you are only getting only 25MPG on your best trip downhill.
BNelson
Posted 10/4/2012 7:37 AM (#588890 - in reply to #588885)

value is someones own opinion...I love the reel..Is it $300 "better" than a Saltist...no...but I do feel it is a better and more comfortable reel and has more power w the 16NA handle on it...it's "better" than the previous 16na.... I would buy another one for what it's worth if i had to do it all over again looking to purchase a speed reel... but for the guy that wants a good reel the saltist is the way to go.... just my 2 cents
sworrall
Posted 10/4/2012 7:43 AM (#588891 - in reply to #574420)

The Tranx is basically a top end salty that adapts well to what some of us like to do. Those reels cost what they cost, and in this case the reel has been very well received by all markets, performing very well. Historically, the Daiwa line of reels has been OK, and have proven out the sentence, 'You get what you pay for'.

A $290 reel had better be a notch or two higher quality than a $125 reel. A $390 reel will be better quality than a $290 reel. Half the weight and smaller doesn't mean tougher or as effectivethan bigger and heavier no matter the brand. The Revo line of products has proven to be solid and very desirable, yet the Tranx is strapped to many a rod in rod lockers where the Revos rule in numbers because the Tranx is a 'specialty product' in the Muskie market. I think Daiwa is shooting at the Revo quality reel and price point, not the Tranx, and the NACL will do well in that battle..

Most reels if maintained regularly will do what they are supposed to do and should meet expectation based upon price and related quality. I think the broad majority opinion here has proven out Shimano quality is second to none, and that quality is something those who can afford it want to own and are happy to pay for.

$300 isn't a 'cheap' reel. When the new Daiwas are in use by the majority, we'll see how they rank.
PIKEMASTER
Posted 10/4/2012 9:57 AM (#588925 - in reply to #588885)

cast4musky - 10/4/2012 7:25 AM

Most fisherman once they spend $500 are of course going to tell you they love the reel. No one is going to announce that they may have made a mistake and rushed into their purchase...Is it worth the Money, probably not as this winter there will be a New Daiwa line out that will compete one on one wiith the Tranx reel. It promises to have the same power and line retrieval speed as the Tranx, but half the weight ,and anawesome great Drag system,llevel wind with easy cast ability, palming size, and you will still have $200 in your pocket. It's just like the guy driving the same car as you but he swears he gets 30-32 MPG on a regular basis, when you are only getting only 25MPG on your best trip downhill.

I have 2 Trans reels, One 500PG and one 500HG, the PG which is 4.6:1 gears I use for DCG 10-13, with 30" of line pickup I can burn DCG ALL DAY LONG without my hands falling off at the end of the day. The HG I use for fast line pickup for Jerk baits and Dawgs. The Tranx 4.6:1 gears are the new Micro gears from Shimano, which is a very small teeth so there is more of the pinion gear touching the main gear and they are very powerful and smooth. Plus all Tranx reels have the Dual A/R Pawls so with this reel you can Jerk and Rip any size bait and the A/R Bearing will never slip or fail.
The new Saltist reels are fine for Dawgs but this reel has NO SPOOL BRAKES so it will backlash alot if casting DCG in to the wind, but a strong reel for the cash.
So to me the Tranx is worth every penny and more. If you guys have seen as many insides of reels as I have you would know when a reel is build like a tank like the Tranx.
I just got Dick Pearson Tranx PG reel to do a Detail, Tune and Relube, and this reel has alot casts and looks like new inside.

(Shimano_12Antares2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Shimano_12Antares2.jpg (11KB - 130 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)