Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> light spinning rod, sticker shock!

Message Subject: light spinning rod, sticker shock!
firstsixfeet
Posted 6/5/2012 9:41 AM (#563424)
Subject: light spinning rod, sticker shock!

Deciding to upgrade my decrepit collection of spinning tackle into something that will look better when I die, started looking for 6-6.5' ul spinning rods. Something fairly stiff, light and with a fast tip.

Everything I picked up ran $80-250!!

I haven't bought anything but musky stuff for a long time. Where do I need to look to find some decent rods at a lesser price.

I would be happy to buy off e bay but I don't have a clue as to what names and codes to look for in used rods.
gtp888
Posted 6/5/2012 10:14 AM (#563432 - in reply to #563424)
Subject: RE: light spinning rod, sticker shock!

firstsixfeet - 6/5/2012 9:41 AM Deciding to upgrade my decrepit collection of spinning tackle into something that will look better when I die, started looking for 6-6.5' ul spinning rods. Something fairly stiff, light and with a fast tip. Everything I picked up ran $80-250!! I haven't bought anything but musky stuff for a long time. Where do I need to look to find some decent rods at a lesser price. I would be happy to buy off e bay but I don't have a clue as to what names and codes to look for in used rods.

If you are looking at light/ultralight spinning rods, IMO the best rod for the money is an Ugly Stik.  Eagle Claw is another good value for your money. 

MuskyMATT7
Posted 6/5/2012 10:45 AM (#563442 - in reply to #563424)
Subject: Re: light spinning rod, sticker shock!

Firstsixfeet-
There are so many quality rods made today that there is not 1 particular company or brand that you "need" to buy in order to purchase a quality rod. The usual suspects (St. Croix, Loomis, Abu Garcia) all make technique specific rods in prices from $75 to whatever you are willing to spend. Other rod companies like Dobyns, Kistler, H&H, B&R, etc. make great toda as well. For an inexpensive UL/L spinning rod at a fair price check out Bass Pro Shop's Micro Lite series which are $40 right now.
firstsixfeet
Posted 6/5/2012 10:54 AM (#563447 - in reply to #563424)

There are certainly a number of UL rods I like, but $75 is already over what I want to spend. I have had a number in my hands recently, and they are much more likable than the short noodles that were historically popular back when I actually did some light casting. I may be able to get to a Bass pro shops, and will check that out. I'm probably too cheap to buy new on most of the rods out there that I like.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/5/2012 11:21 AM (#563458 - in reply to #563424)

FSF, I had the same problem, just looking for a simple light action spinning rod to replace my Ugly Stick combo from *cough* 1978.

I tried Bass Pro, Gander, Cabela's... Seems the stuff made today is made for (and by) people who don't fish enough to know the difference.

I finally settled on a couple Diawa combos that were just over $55. You know what? I like the old Ugly Sticks better. I looked at the new ones, but they feel like plastic toys. EVERYTHING feels like plastic toys. My old spinning rods have metal reel seats with metal threads, and the grips feel like they are firmly attached to the rod. The reel "feet" are all machined to be smooth and comfortable. The stuff that's out there today? Not so much.

Let me know if you find anything worthwhile.
ToddM
Posted 6/5/2012 12:00 PM (#563466 - in reply to #563424)

I fish a cooling lake by where i toss small flikr shads. I use a bass pro 7'6" wally marshall crappie rod and a st croix 8' eyecon. The wally marshall is ultralight and bass pro makes a gold colored light rod for 44 bucks. The ugly stick light is 39 bucks and bass pro makes a decent rod for 3944 too. I like the longer rods for casting small baits , not a fan of short rods for anything anymore.
jackson
Posted 6/5/2012 1:48 PM (#563488 - in reply to #563424)

i bought a few nice walleye and crappie rods from Gander.. its their line of rods plus some of their GSX rods on sale. Got each rod for about $40 and they are quite nice. give them a look.
catchandrelease
Posted 6/5/2012 3:37 PM (#563508 - in reply to #563424)

I'd second the Bass Pro Micro Lite for $40.

Side note: Does anyone know who makes Bass Pro's rods these days? I know Browning was making them for awhile, then Kistler took over, or vice versa. Haven't heard anything lately. I think Pfleuger is making their reels, but I'm not positive on that anymore either.
Flambeauski
Posted 6/5/2012 4:16 PM (#563517 - in reply to #563424)

Browning's fishing rod division was bought by Zebco in 91. It's just a brand now. I know Cabela's has many different manufacterers, you can buy 3 different series of Cabelas rods and have 3 different manufacturers. IDK if BPS does it the same way or if they have one main manufacterer.
firstsixfeet
Posted 6/5/2012 4:39 PM (#563524 - in reply to #563424)

I counted up and have over 30 rods and about half I wouldn't want to use for extended or serious fishing.
Sad story. 3 getting repaired right now, 1 earlier and two busted beyond repair earlier this season, and I didn't count them. If your young, never go through a flea market, pick up a rod, look at the price and think, hmmm, that's a pretty good buy.

I also am getting a collection of rods with busted tips that have been repaired. Need to have a sale soon.
EsoxAddiction
Posted 6/5/2012 4:56 PM (#563527 - in reply to #563424)

I really like gander's advantage rods, they are all over rated in my opinion. By that I mean a medium/light is more like an ultra light, and so on. But for $20-30 depending on if they are on sale you really cant beat them. I have a range of rods, all advantage i use for everything from panfish up to heavy rod for pike. Never had a problem. Now the reel on the other hand is harder, i have a few pflueger presidents and my top notch would be a pflueger president XT (before they cheapened them up a year ago) but its personal preference.
catchandrelease
Posted 6/5/2012 4:57 PM (#563528 - in reply to #563524)

firstsixfeet - 6/5/2012 5:39 PM

I counted up and have over 30 rods and about half I wouldn't want to use for extended or serious fishing.

That's just part of fishing, you can't worry about it too much. Over the years you refine what you use to higher quality, technique specific set-ups and keep up with the latest trends to some extent. Interests may change periodically from one species to another which will normally require a slight change in tackle. It's just one of those things.

My pistol grips don't get much use these days, but I'd rather hoard them and let my kids and grandkids use them someday than sell them for a few lousy dollars that will likely end up in my gas tank.
firstsixfeet
Posted 6/5/2012 8:58 PM (#563558 - in reply to #563424)

I think I need to get down to 5 musky rods, 2 casting, 4 spinning and one fly rod, and two light bait rods for pannies.
BuckeyeAl
Posted 6/6/2012 7:35 AM (#563624 - in reply to #563424)

firstsixfeet - 6/5/2012 10:41 AM

Deciding to upgrade my decrepit collection of spinning tackle into something that will look better when I die,

Having bought 2 St. Croix muskie rods and 6 St. Croix bass casting rods this spring and now thinking I need new spinning rods, I have to tell my wife that they will look better when I die.
The Swan
Posted 6/6/2012 8:12 AM (#563629 - in reply to #563424)

Go to Gander Mountain if one is available to you. I bought an IM 8 Guide Series spinning rod that I am completely satisfied with. I really don't think you need anything more than that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)