Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Starting batteries?

Reply New post
Message Subject: Starting batteries?
tcbetka
Posted 5/2/2012 6:42 PM (#557479 - in reply to #557470)
Subject: Re: Starting batteries?

Are you using deep-cycle Dekka batteries for *all* of them, or do you have a regular lead acid (non-marine) start battery? Also, are you disconnecting the batteries from everything when they are in winter storage? Finally, about how much are these things?

Thanks.

TB
tcbetka
Posted 5/2/2012 7:03 PM (#557481 - in reply to #557397)
Subject: RE: Starting batteries?

Shep - 5/2/2012 12:39 PM

Tom,

MCA is the appropriate rating to apply. CA is the same, rated at 32 d F.

CCA is about 20-25% less than MCA. Rated at 0d F.

I know my Opti's all required 1000 MCA. 135HP to 200HP. Can't say about the 115. Should be in the manual. Or ask your dealer.

Point is, the Maxx 29DC has 875MCA, and only 675 CCA. Would not meet requirement for my motors.

Snip...

Ah... The Stealth guy did say that I should go with something in excess of 800 CCA, so that would be about 1000 MCA using your information. But he called-out those Walmart batteries by name though, so I am not sure if there are different models with different ratings?

Good to hear you have had such good luck with your Optimax engines! For the record, I didn't choose the 115 Opti on this boat. It was a 2009 boat that never sold, and originally came with a 115 Optimax. I would have preferred a 115hp 4-stroke, truth be told--but that's only because I am much more familiar with the technology than with the direct-injection 2-strokes. But the sales price was just too good to pass up, so I talked to a few guys who know the technology. Steve Worrall told me the 115 Opti is a great engine, and now you're the second to report that--so I don't think I'll have any problems. But as the 4-stroke is only about 25-30 pounds heavier in the 115hp size, I probably would have gone that route if I had a choice. But if I do much trolling with this boat, I'll undoubtedly add a Pro-Kicker as it didn't come with one. That's one of the reasons I am so interested in this battery thread, by the way.

Because I am interested in installing something like the Stealth on-board (AC/DC) charging systems, I need to consider how many batteries I will be trying to charge with the engine alternator. If I went with a large marine battery for the engine start and electronics system, then the Stealth unit would work great--it would handle the start/electronics battery, as well as both trolling motor batteries in my 24-volt system. The 115 Optimax has a 60-amp alternator (the 4-stroke 115 only has a 50-amp, btw), so I think this would probably give me plenty of extra charging current for all three batteries. But if I went with a FOURTH battery to separate the start and electronics circuitry, then I am not 100% sure the Stealth charger will work as well. The tech support guy thought it would be OK, but he recommended that I try it with just three batteries to start.

Incidentally, if I decide to troll a lot and do buy a Pro-Kicker, I will likely buy the 15hp unit. It's about $300 or so more than the 9.9hp, but it has a 12-amp alternator where the 9.9 has only a 6-amp alternator. If you've ever tried to troll in the wind in Lund Tyee with a canvas top-set deployed (my 1750 Fisherman is basically a small Tyee), then you know that you cannot have too much power. The 9.9hp Pro-Kicker I had on my 1850 Tyee was just not enough engine to control the boat in strong winds. So I think I'd go to the 15hp unit this time--especially given the increased alternator output.

Great thread though...lots of useful information!

TB
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/2/2012 11:17 PM (#557547 - in reply to #556927)

On the jon, I run a single deep cell/cranking because I also run the trolling motor off that battery. The other two areMarine Power starting batteries. I do mostly casting, fishing several hours in between starts, often listening to the radio(sometimes loudly, metal, mostly) with locators on and don't have issue. Both my starting batteries are series 24. I beleive in overkill, but run tillers and had to cut weight somewhere.

The Dekkas run between $80-$90 depending upon where you get them. The company I get them through supplies batteries to the local paper company, and I time my orders for when they will be in town. Drop a PM for the contact

http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0181.pdf

Edited by Reef Hawg 5/2/2012 11:18 PM
Shep
Posted 5/3/2012 8:07 AM (#557569 - in reply to #557547)

Dekka's are good batteries. Also there are several types. I believe Reef Hawg is getting the flooded (wet-cell) for that price, which is just fine. AGM and Gel-cell will cost more, but I don't think the extra cost is warranted.

I think Pamps in Green Bay sells them. I believe they get them from Remy battery in Milwaukee. Tom, with those batteries, if you plug them in after every trip, and keep the fully charged when stored, I doubt the Stealh system will add any more years of service. You certainly shouldn't run out of power during the day.

To get the charging on the kicker, you need to get the remote control version, or your dealer or you, can add a cable to a tiller version to get the charge capability, or so I have been told. I was going to add it to my 9.9, but never did.

Jason, I think the yellow Maxx batteries are not marine batteries, so that could explain the loss of cells. Marine batteries are normally made with heavy duty plate mounting, to take the abuse.

When I was in the Milwaukee Chapter, we had Bob from Remy Battery come and talk about marine batteries, and chargers. There was a transcript of his presentation, but I can't find it. Very imformative, and a portion of it debunked a lot of myths about batteries. like memory, and bringing them in the basement for the winter, etc. Whenever I need a battery for boat or auto, I went to Remy, and I would spend some time talking with Bob. I learned a lot of do's and don'ts.

Edited by Shep 5/3/2012 8:15 AM
tcbetka
Posted 5/3/2012 8:37 AM (#557579 - in reply to #557569)

Excellent Shep...

Do you think Bob would mind if I called him? I presume he can be found at the main Milwaukee office, per their website? I'd sure love to talk with them, as I need to start making some decisions in that respect.

TB
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/3/2012 9:25 AM (#557595 - in reply to #556927)

Yes, flooded/wet cell. I get them from a guy out of Rhinelander, and can get you the contact if needed. Great resource.
Shep
Posted 5/3/2012 9:29 AM (#557598 - in reply to #557579)

Bob's a great guy. He won't mind at all.
Muskiemetal
Posted 5/3/2012 9:53 AM (#557610 - in reply to #556927)

I have all Cabelas AGM's on my boat, and on my old Pro-V as well. Never had any problems, never freeze, higher amp hours than Optima's or most batteries for that part and higher CCA. They are mx free so I don't worry about them. Run three 27 series (two up front and one in the back) and I use the trolling motor all day long and have yet to go below quarter down. Plus the high output turns the motor over fast even in January on lake Michigan. They do cost money, less than Optimas but well worth the funds.
CiscoKid
Posted 5/3/2012 12:52 PM (#557655 - in reply to #557569)

Shep - 5/3/2012 8:07 AM

Dekka's are good batteries. Also there are several types. I believe Reef Hawg is getting the flooded (wet-cell) for that price, which is just fine. AGM and Gel-cell will cost more, but I don't think the extra cost is warranted.

I think Pamps in Green Bay sells them. I believe they get them from Remy battery in Milwaukee. Tom, with those batteries, if you plug them in after every trip, and keep the fully charged when stored, I doubt the Stealh system will add any more years of service. You certainly shouldn't run out of power during the day.

To get the charging on the kicker, you need to get the remote control version, or your dealer or you, can add a cable to a tiller version to get the charge capability, or so I have been told. I was going to add it to my 9.9, but never did.

Jason, I think the yellow Maxx batteries are not marine batteries, so that could explain the loss of cells. Marine batteries are normally made with heavy duty plate mounting, to take the abuse.

When I was in the Milwaukee Chapter, we had Bob from Remy Battery come and talk about marine batteries, and chargers. There was a transcript of his presentation, but I can't find it. Very imformative, and a portion of it debunked a lot of myths about batteries. like memory, and bringing them in the basement for the winter, etc. Whenever I need a battery for boat or auto, I went to Remy, and I would spend some time talking with Bob. I learned a lot of do's and don'ts.

I just called Pamps...they only carry Interstate.
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/3/2012 2:40 PM (#557683 - in reply to #556927)

If you need a Dekka I can call Joe to see if they do retail. He makes it over to Green Bay area weekly, I'm sure.
MuskyMidget
Posted 5/3/2012 4:32 PM (#557707 - in reply to #556927)

Good info guys. I had no idea my question the other day would turn into all these responses!
tcbetka
Posted 5/3/2012 4:44 PM (#557709 - in reply to #557598)

Shep - 5/3/2012 9:29 AM

Bob's a great guy. He won't mind at all.

I must have been confused... I called Remy in Milwaukee, but there is no Bob there. And the guy I talked to said there isn't a Bob in the Appleton branch either. So Shep, where is Bob?

LOL.

TB
Shep
Posted 5/3/2012 6:14 PM (#557716 - in reply to #557709)

It was 5 years ago when I bought my last set! Maybe it was Bill? Heck, I bet if I searched here long enough, I could find the link. I know I posted it at least once.
tcbetka
Posted 5/3/2012 6:16 PM (#557717 - in reply to #557716)

Or, maybe he doesn't work there anymore...I suppose. I can call back tomorrow and just talk to whomever, and ask about it. I will look in the archives here as well, under your name.

Thanks!

TB
Shep
Posted 5/3/2012 6:38 PM (#557721 - in reply to #557717)

I looked and can't find the name or link to the MI transcript. T's me off a little, because I know I had it saved on a HD somewhere. I tried to find it, but no luck.

I know it was on the Milwaukee chapter's archive site. But I bet they have since revamped that a couple times by now, and it's probably gone from there too. It was a really nice presentation. I could have sworn his name was Bob. He was probably 60ish. Maybe just ask if they know who does the battery seminars for the musky club?

Sucks getting old!

Speaking of batteries. Mine are headed to MN right now, with their new owner. Kind of a sad day for me.

Edited by Shep 5/3/2012 6:44 PM
Posted 5/3/2012 6:42 PM (#557723 - in reply to #556927)

I run everything except my outboard off of my deep cycle( trolling motor, 2 depth finders, stereo, and bildge). I just have a regular old walmart battery for cranking of off, works great just make sure you keep it indoors on a trickle charge while not in use if you want it to last.
CiscoKid
Posted 5/3/2012 6:56 PM (#557729 - in reply to #557723)

Guest - 5/3/2012 6:42 PM

I run everything except my outboard off of my deep cycle( trolling motor, 2 depth finders, stereo, and bildge). I just have a regular old walmart battery for cranking of off, works great just make sure you keep it indoors on a trickle charge while not in use if you want it to last.

Pretty tough to run the graphs off the trolling motor batteries as everytime you hit the foot pedal it interferes with the graph. Although I do think I read somewhere how to prevent this. Thus I believe the reason most graphs get run off the cranking battery.
Posted 5/3/2012 7:10 PM (#557733 - in reply to #557729)

CiscoKid - 5/3/2012 6:56 PM

Guest - 5/3/2012 6:42 PM

Pretty tough to run the graphs off the trolling motor batteries as everytime you hit the foot pedal it interferes with the graph. Although I do think I read somewhere how to prevent this. Thus I believe the reason most graphs get run off the cranking battery.

Only time I've run into any problems was with my old battery that wouldnt hold charge very well. Your right about the foot pedal interfering, everything would cut out when I'd run the trolling motor especially on high, but I havent had any problems since I have a fairly new good battery in good shape.
FrankReebig
Posted 3/27/2023 4:56 AM (#1019273 - in reply to #556937)

The Best Group 31 Marine Battery is 12.8 inches long, 6.8 inches wide, and 9.3 inches tall. The most common marine battery size for boats with various gadgets is this one.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)