Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Lost One

Message Subject: Lost One
mlure
Posted 4/30/2012 6:13 PM (#556898)
Subject: Lost One

We lost another old time Guide/Lure Maker. "Musky Jack" Bohnen passed away yesterday. Jack was a true gentleman and a personal friend. He made the "Skunk Tail" a very popular bucktail in the St. Germain area. We will miss you Jack. Good fishing in the great waters in the sky.
DonPursch
Posted 4/30/2012 7:28 PM (#556917 - in reply to #556898)
Subject: RE: Lost One

I believe one of Scott Zellicks prints has " Musky Jack" in one of them with a red plaid
Shirt on and the guy in the boat with him is Kevin Sandstrom who prints our brochures
It hangs in our lodge I see it every day. Always calm waters to you Musky Jack.
firstsixfeet
Posted 5/1/2012 7:14 AM (#557003 - in reply to #556898)
Subject: Re: Lost One

Can somebody post a picture of a skunk tail. I think I have one and DougJ and I have both looked it over and neither of us recognizes the design, Has a heavily bent eye to the upper hook, so the upper treble lays in flat to the bait.
JBlanck
Posted 5/1/2012 7:53 AM (#557012 - in reply to #556898)

He will be missed. I first met Jack when we rented a cabin from him at Musky Inn (Deer Run Condos). We became friends and one day while he was raking pine needles around the play area of the resort and I was standing on the deck of the cabin staring at the lake, he says, "Wanna go fishing?". "SURE!". He took me out and showed me pretty much the whole lake and what land marks to look for on key inside and outside corners, rock reefs points, etc. What a day. We caught a few fish and had plenty of laughs. Best part of the day was that he didn't have to rake pine needles that day. Big St is still one of my favorite lakes, mainly due to his sharing.
I still have one of his Skunk Tail patches from that year. Great bait. It is a very thin haired bucktail with a fluted blade, long wire body with single treble hook and thin "actual" skunk hair that was very brittle. Fairly weedless even with the treble hook as you can snap it thru the cabbage and it will come out clean. Jack threw them religeously. His foam tackle bucket had skunk tails that circled the bucket from black, gradually getting whiter as they went around. The later in the season and into fall it went, the whiter tail he would use.
Thanks for the memories, Jack.

Jeff
mrmatt
Posted 5/1/2012 8:43 PM (#557240 - in reply to #556898)

My uncle's first musky came on a skunk tail. I believe he bought it at a booth at the journal sports show in the 80's. He also had a large spinnerbait skunk tail. He talked about how nice the guy in the booth was. It was funny to hear how this was the only lure needed to catch a musky. It was the only musky lures he ever used.
Posted 5/2/2012 6:52 AM (#557278 - in reply to #556898)
Subject: RE: Lost One

Sorry to hear about Musky Jack. I have been musky fishing over 40 years and love all the new baits that come out but the skunk tail is still one one of my go to baits when all else fails or I hit a dry spell.
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 5/2/2012 7:06 AM (#557281 - in reply to #556898)

The Zoellick print was his first of four in his Muskie Series, call the "Last Run". It was a hybrid muskie with Muskie Jack, Kevin Sanstrom owner of HM Graphics (West Allis) holding a landing net, and I've forgot who actually was fighting the fish.
The Skunktails might not have been the prettiest bait, but the fish don't likely base their predatory activities on how pretty a bait may be.
It is a shame at the loss of the history we lose at the passing of each of the old classic guides.
It would be incredible to collect all the stories from each of these historic guides, the kind of people who actually caught fish without GPS units, and side finder sonar, monster braid lines, a problem free reels, and the phenominal fishing platforms of the boats of today.

Edited by Steve Van Lieshout 5/2/2012 7:14 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)