Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Anyone deadsticking floating swimbaits??

Message Subject: Anyone deadsticking floating swimbaits??
Fish 30acre
Posted 4/7/2012 3:55 PM (#551508)
Subject: Anyone deadsticking floating swimbaits??

Deadsticking floating swimbaits is more of a bass fishing technique, but I was just wondering what muskie fisherman are doing it, how you do, and what you use.

I'd like to make a muskie swimbait for deadsticking on top and am just curious what people would be interested in. Got a few options, just looking for some sort of feedback!
wiswimbait
Posted 4/7/2012 4:24 PM (#551511 - in reply to #551508)
Subject: Re: Anyone deadsticking floating swimbaits??

I've tried it a little bit but I really don't have the patience for it. I've had them hit a 3:16 wake jr. on a pause after swimming it or twitching it but never on a true deadstick. Also had a nice one hit a 3:16 born again armegeddon that was dragging behind the canoe and still not a true deadstick but the bait was barely crawling along.
Ja Rule
Posted 4/8/2012 6:41 AM (#551616 - in reply to #551508)
Subject: RE: Anyone deadsticking floating swimbaits??

I don't remember the exact issue but Steve Heiting wrote an article in Musky Hunter about deadsticking. I'm not sure if he was talking about swimbaits so much and was more talking about floating minnowbaits and cranks but still might give you an idea.
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/8/2012 11:08 AM (#551669 - in reply to #551508)

Fish 30acre - 4/7/2012 3:55 PM Deadsticking floating swimbaits is more of a bass fishing technique, but I was just wondering what muskie fisherman are doing it, how you do, and what you use. I'd like to make a muskie swimbait for deadsticking on top and am just curious what people would be interested in. Got a few options, just looking for some sort of feedback!

I think that's a great idea with the swimbait. The best dead stick bait I found was the old Scarf twitch bait, but I think about any floating bait would work with that technique.

The only time I would use the dead sticking method was when I knew or strongly suspected a fish was there… like on a point.  I would throw the bait out on what I thought was the “spot on spot” and let it sit there for about 30 seconds, give it a twitch (actually two) let it sit again... repeat a few times… then just retrieve with a regular cadence if nothing happened.

This was a very effective method, along the lines of using a top water super slow when the bite is off, or on heavily pressured waters.

Edited by Jerry Newman 4/8/2012 11:09 AM
Muskie Bob
Posted 4/8/2012 12:17 PM (#551681 - in reply to #551508)

interesting....

I found the following article by Steve Heiting........."the Deadly Dead Stick"

http://www.fishinfo.com/fishing-articles/article_610.shtml
MD75
Posted 4/8/2012 4:10 PM (#551702 - in reply to #551508)

I have been employing this technigue on a local lake with good results for pike and bass. I have used both floating and suspending minnow type baits set back about 20ft from the boat. As I work a shore line the Dead stick bait moves along with me...strikes seem to happen after a long pause in forward motion right when the motor is turned on. Make sure your hooks are razor sharp and that your drag is set tight...I miss about 2/3 of the fish that strike but, still feel it ups my odds at a catch. This would be considered trolling so be sure that you are legally able to employ this technique on the lake in question.

Matt
Jerry Newman
Posted 4/8/2012 7:11 PM (#551722 - in reply to #551702)

That's funny you bring that up Matt because I dragged a creeper or hog wobbler behind my boat sometimes when I was casting, just not as good of results. That was years ago and as I recall I only had two hits on the creeper, same business… hard to get hooks.

Edited by Jerry Newman 4/8/2012 7:20 PM
Fish 30acre
Posted 4/9/2012 12:27 AM (#551794 - in reply to #551508)

great input guys, as well as that article by steve. its hard to find much info on this technique and not a lot of muskie people are doing it. ive had more success doing this when river fishing where theres a current than in lakes, as well.

right now, these are the options im looking at... a cisco, a mooneye, a giant gizzard shad, or a sucker. whichever i decide will be about 10 inches and made out of a soft plastic. what do you guys think?
Muskie Bob
Posted 4/9/2012 5:39 AM (#551797 - in reply to #551508)

I would think the gizzard shad would typically be found closest to the surface. It is also more common in southern states. So, I probably would consider a giant gizzard shad for dead sticking.
AndyM
Posted 4/9/2012 9:07 AM (#551828 - in reply to #551508)

I think I am done with figure 8's after evvvvvery cast or follow! Too cool
skiman
Posted 4/9/2012 4:17 PM (#551951 - in reply to #551508)

WE have put a few muskies in the boat on surface baits doing this. When you see them following stop the surface bait they will sink tail first and take it like a bluegill eating a bug. Fun to watch I dont have a big enough pair to try it on a big fish yet.
jtroop
Posted 4/9/2012 6:20 PM (#551974 - in reply to #551508)

Sounds like a valid idea. I watched a muskie eat a couple small dead suckers floating on the surface in a Cabela's store tank. Being in MN (1 rod only) I don't think I could bring myself to employ the "cast and watch" technique, however.
Fish 30acre
Posted 4/9/2012 10:46 PM (#552069 - in reply to #551508)

i knew not a lot of people did this technique, but i guess im still a little surprised by the little people who do. is it just a waste of time for most of you, or is it maybe the fact the muskie are less of an opportunistic feeder than say a bass? just looking to better understand it by a majority is all...
MD75
Posted 4/10/2012 4:44 PM (#552277 - in reply to #551508)

IMO...Live bait is a better use for your second line than deadsticking...but like I said earlier if you don't have live bait available I think it could up your odds. If you are only fishing one rod this would be the absolute last technique I would try...Good luck!

Matt
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)