Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Action Cams

Message Subject: Action Cams
CiscoKid
Posted 4/4/2012 12:24 PM (#550679)
Subject: Action Cams

So over the winter, like many I am sure, I have been looking into action cams for filming fishing as well as my other adventures. The popular choice no doubt is the GoPro brand. However, the most common negative mentioned about the cam is the sound you get is not very good.

Does anyone have any experience with other actions cams out there, and if so what are your opinions about them? The other two cams I have looked at are the Contour line of cams, and the Drift Innovations line of cams. What intrigues me about the Drift cam is it has a viewer on it unlike all the others. That viewer is not a big deal while I am by myself, but if I have the kids in the boat it would be nice to ensure they are in the shot by the use of the viewer.

Anyone familiar with the Oregon Scientific Action Cam ATC9K ?
bigbite
Posted 4/4/2012 2:04 PM (#550723 - in reply to #550679)
Subject: RE: Action Cams

You have a PM.
sworrall
Posted 4/4/2012 6:53 PM (#550820 - in reply to #550723)

The Oregons haven't performed well for us, audio has been poor and they really run out of juice fast in the cold. The best is still the VIO POV. They have a high def unit now too. Spendy, but the loop record function alone makes them worth the money. Plus, they power with AA rechargables and you will get about 4 hours out of a set.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(slide1 (Copy).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments slide1 (Copy).jpg (47KB - 185 downloads)
CiscoKid
Posted 4/4/2012 7:58 PM (#550849 - in reply to #550679)

The Vio's look nice, but not so sure the lens and pack combo will work the greatest for everything I would like to use it for. I'll look at it further though. They are also a bit spendy compared to the other cams.
Hunter4
Posted 4/4/2012 8:03 PM (#550854 - in reply to #550679)
Subject: Re: Action Cams

Steve,

What do you know about the Contour Cameras?

thanks,
sworrall
Posted 4/4/2012 8:38 PM (#550876 - in reply to #550679)

Never used a Contour. Sorry.
lifeisfun
Posted 4/5/2012 5:53 AM (#550933 - in reply to #550679)

I use CountourHD (older model) and I'm happy with it.
Convenient large switch, light and form factor (tubular) that is easy to mount .
As any other it suffers from sound problems in windy conditions.
sworrall
Posted 4/5/2012 8:45 AM (#550959 - in reply to #550679)

I probably should describe the loop recording function. The POV will record a preset length of time, and if that timeline is not saved, record over it. A 2 gig SDHC card lasts a very long time because only the video you want saved is stored. That saves a ton of time looking for the clips one wishes to use in a video, too.

Otherwise. if you want HD video restrained by L ion batteries and constant record, and you do not want to wear the camera on a hat, there are lots of waterproof HD camcorders out there for not much money. We use them for the OFM on the Ice and IcefishingFIRST series of videos here:
http://icefishing.outdoorsfirst.com/videos.asp

For the Aqua Vu video, we use Aiptek HD cameras with Video in and a dedicated recorder from Aqua Vu.
dtaijo174
Posted 4/5/2012 9:30 AM (#550971 - in reply to #550679)

There is a new one that just came out called CamOne Infinity. I don't know much about it, but it is supposed to be pretty good.
sworrall
Posted 4/5/2012 11:03 AM (#550999 - in reply to #550679)

90 minute record time between charges, that one won't work for me despite the cool lens options. The VIO takes double A batteries. I buy rechargeable AA batteries in bulk, and using our DXG 505V units and the POV will go through as many as 24 in a full day/evening on the ice or water. Just change them every four hours, and all is well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)