Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> cold front effects

Message Subject: cold front effects
noob
Posted 4/2/2012 9:24 PM (#550278)
Subject: cold front effects

new to muskie fishing mostly. what does a cold front usually do to the muskies? what are some tatics that are worth trying? thanks
TC24
Posted 4/2/2012 10:15 PM (#550288 - in reply to #550278)
Subject: RE: cold front effects

Typically they shut down. But I may be one of the few that enjoy these cold fronts. For the waters I fish they usually are still productive. Ill throw on a reaction type bait, more specifically a top water to get their attention. Too many factors come into play so just keep plugging and throw your "go-to" bait. Don't let it affect your decision and get out there!
FAT-SKI
Posted 4/2/2012 10:21 PM (#550291 - in reply to #550288)

^^^ agree with the above.
Zib
Posted 4/2/2012 11:00 PM (#550293 - in reply to #550278)

I agree with the topwater during a cold front. I would have never thought to throw a topwater during a cold front passing through until I seen it during a bass tourney I was fishing on the tail end of a cold front. My fishing partner's bass lure got fouled & was spinning on top when a 48" ski nailed it. 20 minutes later his lure gets fouled again & along comes another musky that ended up snapping the line. Since then I have thrown topwaters & have caught muskies during a cold front.
FishingFool
Posted 4/2/2012 11:08 PM (#550296 - in reply to #550293)

Try banging into cover,whatever it is. You can always do the ole fav,low and slow.If you think you are going slow enough,slow down some more...I like weighted jerks,mag dawgs/curly sues and bucktails.
Propster
Posted 4/2/2012 11:29 PM (#550299 - in reply to #550278)
Subject: Re: cold front effects

Some good advice above. But let's define a couple things. There's during the front, when the skies are usually still cloudy or spitting rain, wind often strong and out of the N or NE, during which I've still experienced pretty good fishing. And then there's post frontal which is when it gets a lot tougher in my opinion - bluebird skies usually, high winds out of the NW. But they can still be caught then too. Often in thick cover or deeper with the drop in water temp. Twitched minnow baits and glide baits, including wtd topwater seem to work best for me then.
Herb_b
Posted 4/3/2012 12:49 PM (#550403 - in reply to #550278)
Subject: Re: cold front effects

There are the weather type cold fronts and then there are the home cold fronts - as when your wife gets upset because you went fishing when you "should" have been doing something else. I hate it when that happens.

That said, sometimes its good to stop and get ice-cream, or something else to eat, on those bluebird days when nothing is biting. Or, if its warm enough, bring along some swim trunks and go swimming with the kids. Best thing is to have fun somehow and not worry about the fish so much. After all, what will you remember later? How much fun you had doing something else or the fact that you got a sore back casting all day for nothing?

My kids talk much more about stopping for cake and ice-cream last summer than any of the fish we caught. Never mind the Muskies or big Pike - they remember the food and where on the lake we found it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)